How To Use MuLab 9 With Linux (guide)

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Post

mutools wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:48 pm Hey i did not watch the full video but let me quickly tell that if you want to send events from within the composer to a MIDI output then send the events to a composer event output and then in the Project Modular Area connect that composer event output to the MIDI output module (= the Project Event Output module that is set to the MIDI output). This is assumed that the composer is inside the Project Modular Area. If the composer would be in a deeper modular level, then make sure to repeat the routings to upward modular levels until the composer events arrive in the Project Modular Area, then connect it to the MIDI output module.
I sort of (sort of) figured out how to add a MIDI out port in the 9.0.37 Demo version. I couldn't do it in the 8.8.3 Free version. I just checked your website and now I realize that is part of the limitations in the free version.

Your explanation still sounds complicated because the design of it is complicated. If we can click the bottom of a rack and select an internal output, why not create external inputs and outputs and select them right from the racks? That would make a lot more sense, would be a lot more intuitive.

Thank you for your attention.

Post

lmv wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pmThat would make a lot more sense, would be a lot more intuitive.
I disagree - it wouldn't make any sense at all. That rack might be inside any other MUX component at any level with Event Out connections prewired to its container for a specific use case. Look at MuDrum, for example (and this is a simple example). Where would an Event Out go if I added it to one of the racks?

Post

Maybe it would be good if modules (eg a rack) in deeper modular levels could send audio / events directly to the audio / MIDI device input/outputs on the top modular level. However that's not as simple as it may seem because any relevant signal latencies on any relevant modular level must be taken into account. Implementing that is not a quick job and thus such feature request has to compete with the many many other important feature requests that are on the long wishlist.

That said i also think that how it is now is quite logical. I understand that you call it "complicated" at first as indeed you might expect to be able to send events directly to MIDI out. But then you're missing the modular aspect of MuLab, which definitely is one of its strengths. So once you've catched MuLab's modular power i'm confident you'll find it quite comfortable sending events to MIDI output from wherever in MuLab.

Post

I just discovered something unpleasant. I always use 32-bit Mulab because the vast majority of my plugins are 32 bits. I had to test a 64-bit plugin today, ran 64-bit Mulab and had this problem I had mentioned previously:
lmv wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:40 pm Now, in 9.0.37, I can choose 'MME Audio Output' then either 'Wine Sound Mapper' or my primary sound card, except that the playback becomes so slow and jerky that the entire application becomes unusable. Only ASIO/WineASIO works well with 9.0.37.
Except that ASIO doesn't work in 64-bit Mulab. The ASIO option is there, but the only option for drivers is "none." Bottom line: I can't run 64-bit Mulab 9. :-(

Post

lmv wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:40 pmExcept that ASIO doesn't work in 64-bit Mulab. The ASIO option is there, but the only option for drivers is "none." Bottom line: I can't run 64-bit Mulab 9. :-(
Have you got the 64bit WineASIO driver installed?

Post

lmv wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:40 pm I just discovered something unpleasant. I always use 32-bit Mulab because the vast majority of my plugins are 32 bits. I had to test a 64-bit plugin today, ran 64-bit Mulab and had this problem I had mentioned previously:
lmv wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:40 pm Now, in 9.0.37, I can choose 'MME Audio Output' then either 'Wine Sound Mapper' or my primary sound card, except that the playback becomes so slow and jerky that the entire application becomes unusable. Only ASIO/WineASIO works well with 9.0.37.
Except that ASIO doesn't work in 64-bit Mulab. The ASIO option is there, but the only option for drivers is "none." Bottom line: I can't run 64-bit Mulab 9. :-(
I currently don't use wineasio, because I'm using pipewire and its going well for me so far. But I remembered that once I tried wineasio and I was able to use it with no issues. I'm running Arch Linux, so I got the wineasio from AUR.

Post

pljones wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:28 pm Have you got the 64bit WineASIO driver installed?
Yes. I have amd64 and i386.

Post

oldcastle wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:28 am
lmv wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:40 pm I just discovered something unpleasant. I always use 32-bit Mulab because the vast majority of my plugins are 32 bits. I had to test a 64-bit plugin today, ran 64-bit Mulab and had this problem I had mentioned previously:
lmv wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:40 pm Now, in 9.0.37, I can choose 'MME Audio Output' then either 'Wine Sound Mapper' or my primary sound card, except that the playback becomes so slow and jerky that the entire application becomes unusable. Only ASIO/WineASIO works well with 9.0.37.
Except that ASIO doesn't work in 64-bit Mulab. The ASIO option is there, but the only option for drivers is "none." Bottom line: I can't run 64-bit Mulab 9. :-(
I currently don't use wineasio, because I'm using pipewire and its going well for me so far. But I remembered that once I tried wineasio and I was able to use it with no issues. I'm running Arch Linux, so I got the wineasio from AUR.
There shouldn’t be any negative difference with using pipewire and wineasio. It should make things run better, not worse.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Post

I just updated the post to add an example of a mulab.desktop file, so you can access ML from your start menu.

Post

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:32 am There shouldn’t be any negative difference with using pipewire and wineasio. It should make things run better, not worse.
I don't use Pipewire. I use JACK2 and the Catia patchbay.

I can use WineASIO, but only on 32-bit v9 Mulab. It doesn't work with 64-bit v9 for some reason.

On 8.8.3 (free), I prefer to use MME Audio Output or Wine Sound Mapper because they work better. But those don't work on v9 Muab.

Post

lmv wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:19 pm I don't use Pipewire. I use JACK2 and the Catia patchbay.

I can use WineASIO, but only on 32-bit v9 Mulab. It doesn't work with 64-bit v9 for some reason.

On 8.8.3 (free), I prefer to use MME Audio Output or Wine Sound Mapper because they work better. But those don't work on v9 Muab.
Thanks for lmv sharing your experience.

I used to use JACK2 (due to Qtractor), but I switched to Pipewire and haven't looked back. Piperewire offers pipewire-jack and pipewire-pulse warps, which are essentially drop-in replacements for those who use Pulse or JACK2. I don't need to change any settings from the default Pipewire installation on my system (Arch Linux). As long as you have a "real-time friendly" system, as explained in the guide, everything works out of the box; at least for me.

Post

Hi,

Just wanted to say a big thanks for this guide, I'm using MuLab 9 on AV Linux with WineASIO and Wine-Staging 8.2 and it's very stable, really enjoying trying it out! Running Wine with a Virtual Desktop has been a must which isn't ideal for those using it for other Plugin hosting like yabridge but this is all house of cards stuff so we get what we deserve.. :wink: I have locked down Wine-Staging at 8.2 on my system for now

Just a potential current fly in the ointment for WineASIO Users, it appears that recently Wine (Wine-Staging) versions higher than 8.2 have broken WineASIO which will hopefully be fixed soon:

https://github.com/wineasio/wineasio/issues/24

Post

Only minus side of using Mutools under Wine is high cpu usage.But it is ok as everything works perfectly

Post

WELL HOLLY COW!!!!

I got it up and running. No details yet but running.
Mulab is Ideal for this type thing because it really is all inclusive , portable and no bloat.
Freakin Awesome.

Thanks for this info.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “MUTOOLS”