Sononym sample management/browser

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sononym

1.4.1 is up

Is there a reason why loops cannot be categorised like oneshots ?

Can you use it to just audition samples like you can with AudioFinder? I can’t seem to figure out how to do that without it scanning each folder and categorizing them?

the pitch detection is pretty good in my opinion. but i do not like using an extern program outside of ableton for my production process. and i think i am okay with my sample management so far and i prefer using lives sample browser.

so, is there any way to get sononym to rename the original file name of the samples and add the tags it has created? for example the pitch detection information in this case?

Appears to be on their roadmap.
https://trello.com/b/5CAMhCj1/sononym-roadmap

"(Batch-)rename files based on descriptors"

I am running the Sononym trial version and encounter results with the similarity search applied across multiple Libraries that I do not understand.

My database currently consists of 32 Libraries. One of them contains samples downloaded from Reverb.

I start out by searching (by name) for a specific tom loop sample, then do the similarity search just within this Reverb library it is contained in. Sononym lists approx. 5 other loops on the top of the list that are indeed quite similar, just different in pitch (hi, mid, low tom). That's good! The similarity bar shows at approx. 0.5 to 0.75.

Next, I expand the identical search over all 32 libraries, with the result that the previously found highest similarities (tom loops) are not listed anymore at all (!), and the highest similarity now is approx. 0.35. What's worse is that the samples on the top of this list do not sound like tom loops at all, but rather like noise, scratches and hihats.

When searching 15 libraries, the desired tom loops are still showing. When searching 25 libraries, they are not listed anymore in the results.

Going back to searching only the one library, the tom loops show up again.

This does not seem to be very useful --- Sononym appears to drop crucial samples somewhere on the way(?).

Anyone have an idea what could be going on here?

Similarity search within 1 library_20221127.jpg

Similarity search across 32 libraries_20221127.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi alphagem,
Alphagem-O wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:51 pm Anyone have an idea what could be going on here?
This is a limitation of the software. You can currently only combine half-a-dozen (or so) libraries.

According to the documentation:
there is currently a limit to how many libraries that can be combined on-the-fly. If you have chosen more libraries than the software supports, any libraries shown with a “striped” background will not included in the results.
https://www.sononym.net/docs/manual/lib ... -selecting

Thank you much for the quick reply, danoise! Your explanation cleared it up for me.

Perhaps it would be possible to, in the results, always fix the Library that harbors the source sample, and then include other Libraries according to capacity/limitations.

Loop libraries sometimes contain samples with a fair degree of similarity, and this way these could be assured to be included in the results of the similarity search.

Hope Apple Silicon support will be soon

Alphagem-O wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:55 pm Perhaps it would be possible to, in the results, always fix the Library that harbors the source sample, and then include other Libraries according to capacity/limitations.
That makes a lot of sense - I'm happy to tweak the behavior the way you described it.

But also, we're looking to increase the number of libraries that can be merged on the fly. We're bound to get this question over and over until we do so :)

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:58 am
FWIW I bought both Samplism and Sononym because they are tackling different requirements.
Do you still use both? Care to elaborate about your usage scenario? It may inspire me to do something similar

Is there some way I can drag samples out of Sononym and into Studio One as I don't seem to be able to do it, unless I'm missing something in settings ?

Digivolt wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:42 pm Is there some way I can drag samples out of Sononym and into Studio One as I don't seem to be able to do it, unless I'm missing something in settings ?
Hi, Sononym dev here :-)
Currently checking if we can recreate the problem here...
Edit: seems to work on macOS running Studio One 6.

Does dragging out work if you drag the files into e.g. Finder/Explorer?
What's the platform/operating system you're using?

Digivolt wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:42 pm Is there some way I can drag samples out of Sononym and into Studio One as I don't seem to be able to do it, unless I'm missing something in settings ?
If you are using Windows, it might be because you started one of the applications as administrator and the other one not.

Blaster wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:47 pm If you are using Windows, it might be because you started one of the applications as administrator and the other one not.
That's solved it thanks
danoise wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:50 am Hi, Sononym dev here :-)
Currently checking if we can recreate the problem here...
Edit: seems to work on macOS running Studio One 6.

Does dragging out work if you drag the files into e.g. Finder/Explorer?
What's the platform/operating system you're using?
The above fixed it thanks

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”