Most-tolerated Genre?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:46 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:43 pm :lol: the walrus of grrr
I'd like to hear him do a duet with Rochdale's finest, Lisa Stansfield;

"Eeeeh Bonesy, you know I've been round t'world, looking for me baby"

"Well, that's f**king stupid, you f**king idiot"
bit common isn't she? he is/was an officer and a gentleman remember.

vurt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:30 pm

That's how the Queen spoke in private. She was using her telephone voice when speaking in public
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

Surely some mistake? I was under the impression he is in the penal colony?

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:28 pm

they have an army.
not a great one admittedly, they went to war against emus and got beat. against birds ffs.

Cassowaries are stone-cold f**king killers, mate.
ghettosynth wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:11 amLet me know when you've constructed that contrapositive.
You know what you f**king did, you took a general comment and interpreted it as specifically about only ever listening to a single genre. Genres are a terribly inadequate means of judging the depth or breadth of someone's musical taste. The things that attract me to a song are in no way genre-specific. Energy and attitude can be found in pretty much any genre. There may even be a Country & Western song I'd like (unlikely, but possible) but discovering it wouldn't instantly make me a fan of C & W, just as enjoying Icona Pop's I Love It doesn't make me a fan of either Icona Pop or Pop music.

In fact, most genres have more dross than good stuff in them. I'd rate at least half the Post Punk stuff I've heard as awful and closer to three-quarters of the Electro-Industrial/EBM songs I've heard. Almost all of Industrial Rock is pretty bad, too, but that still leaves plenty of really good stuff to lose yourself in.
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:50 am I don’t think it has anything to do with tolerating a genera, but more about the context. Things like Trance are clearly made for dancing in clubs. Listening to it outside that context is like taking a date to a Chuck E. Cheese. It’s not the right place. You may like listening to it because you make it, and even listen to it for enjoyment, but it’s internally referencing your past experiences. You fill in the lack of context.

There’s lots of genres that are like that for me, mostly dance music. I can’t stand the sound of Ranchero music coming out of a passing car, or even out of a restaurant’s sound system, but we went to a festival in Mexico last summer and they had a live Ranchero band and it was awesome.
I don't get that. I like something or I don't, context is largely irrelevant. I'll definitely tolerate some things in the right context that I won't put up with at other times but I'm never not in the mood for any of the music I really like. I'm never not in the mood for some Killing Joke or some good Simple Minds (first four albums) or U2's Boy or a bit of good Genepool (not their first two) or some Dance or Die or maybe a bit of (90s or later) Die Krupps or 100 other things I could list. It always has to be loud, though, or I'd rather not listen at all.
Trance? I absolutely hate it, but I bet if I was dancing in a club while tripping on molly with a cute girl in a faux fur dress, I’d love it.
But surely you wouldn't go, would you? I went to a rave once. I stayed for about an hour and ran screaming from the venue. It was the absolute pits. I'd rather have spent the evening watching Paint Your Wagon with my parents.

BTW, "genera" is the plural of "genus", not a substitute for "genre", of which the plural is "genres".
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:58 pm The things that attract me to a song are in no way genre-specific. Energy and attitude can be found in pretty much any genre.
What I'm saying is that if you are truly moved by Smells Like Teen Spirit there is no way you are going to be into Shania Twain and Beyonce. It's just not possible. If you think you are, it's because none of it affects you the way good music affects me and for that I pity you
You're contradicting yourself and yes I'm rubbing it in because it's fun. Thanks bones!

No, I'm not. There is zero attitude in any of Beyonce or Twain's work. It's glossy pop shite from go to woah. Could you imagine Col Kilgore flying over the treetops of the Vietnam jungle with All the Single Ladies or Man! I Feel Like A Woman! blaring from the loudspeakers? No, it would be laughable.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

LOL!

vurt wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:46 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:28 pm

they have an army.
not a great one admittedly, they went to war against emus and got beat. against birds ffs.
They held Tobruk for 400 days, pretty impressive.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:08 am I take the stairs. Stairs are good for you.
That is better in many ways. :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Lionel Richie Sambora.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

The most tolerated genre is

CRAP
artie fichelle sounds natural

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:22 am No, I'm not. There is zero attitude in any of Beyonce or Twain's work. It's glossy pop shite from go to woah. Could you imagine Col Kilgore flying over the treetops of the Vietnam jungle with All the Single Ladies or Man! I Feel Like A Woman! blaring from the loudspeakers? No, it would be laughable.
That is a rather strange litmus test for "attitude," sir.

Artie Fichelle wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:42 am The most tolerated genre is

CRAP
Well, outside of Scotland, maybe.

Introspective wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:59 am
BONES wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:22 am No, I'm not. There is zero attitude in any of Beyonce or Twain's work. It's glossy pop shite from go to woah. Could you imagine Col Kilgore flying over the treetops of the Vietnam jungle with All the Single Ladies or Man! I Feel Like A Woman! blaring from the loudspeakers? No, it would be laughable.
That is a rather strange litmus test for "attitude," sir.
"Altitude", perhaps was the intent; our cogitating colonial compatriot proffering a postulate perchance that the womanly wailer is unable to function at a height above a certain sea-level?

It's as plausible as any of his other bollocks.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”