Need testers for my x86 to x64 vst adapter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
jBridge jBridgeM

I do have reaper x64 installed.

Hum, I don't think that's correct, if your plug's name is GVI.dll, you would put the plugin_name.64.dll and the plugin_name.64.exe files inside the folder and rename those to GVI.64.dll and the GVI.64.exe.

I just ran samplelord 1.4.2 in reaper x64, although it crashed the first time I tried.
Free MIDI plugins and other stuff:
https://jstuff.wordpress.com
"MIDI 2.0 is an extension of MIDI 1.0. It does not replace MIDI 1.0(...)"

umd wrote:I do have reaper x64 installed.

Hum, I don't think that's correct, if your plug's name is GVI.dll, you would put the plugin_name.64.dll and the plugin_name.64.exe files inside the folder and rename those to GVI.64.dll and the GVI.64.exe.

I just ran samplelord 1.4.2 in reaper x64, although it crashed the first time I tried.
That is what I did. I renamed it as described.

I end up with 3 files in a folder:

GVI.dll (the 32 bit plugin)
GVI.64.dll
GVI.64.exe

Well, you can't see the ".exe" extension at GVI.64.exe in MS Explorer but it's recognized as application by vista.

Well, have the same effect with all plugins I tested so there seems to be general problem. I use the latest reaper X64 and Win Vista ultimate 64.

Which samplelord dll did you choose to rename? there is quite a lot in folder.

or even for bridging x86 plugins with x86 hosts, to overcome the memory limit of a single 32bit process (not sure if in win64 each 32bit process can use around 3gb or if its 3gb for all the 32bit processes)
Do you mean this can be useful to go aver the memory usage limitations in windws Xp? Right now, the biggest problem for me in winxp with Cubase is that Cubase will crash when it uses more than 1.3 gig of RAM. So, it's impossible to use several ram consuming plugins in a given project even if I have 4 gigs of ram installed.

Do you think you can bridhe the plug-in and open it in another memory area? So the ram useb by the bridged plugin is not going to add to the Cubase memory usage?

If this is the case, count me for a beta test. Right now, I don't want to switch to 64 bit, so a solution for a better memory usage in 32 bit xp would be great!!!

tia

Project

Hum, afaik, there shouldn't be any extra latency, as it reads/writes the audio buffers like a native x86 plugin. But you guys tell me.
Do you know something we don't? AFAIK there's no 32-64bit thunking possible in Windows (not one documented, that is). How do you do this without async communication with another process?
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

samplemania wrote:
umd wrote:I do have reaper x64 installed.

That is what I did. I renamed it as described.

I end up with 3 files in a folder:

GVI.dll (the 32 bit plugin)
GVI.64.dll
GVI.64.exe

Well, you can't see the ".exe" extension at GVI.64.exe in MS Explorer but it's recognized as application by vista.

Well, have the same effect with all plugins I tested so there seems to be general problem. I use the latest reaper X64 and Win Vista ultimate 64.

Which samplelord dll did you choose to rename? there is quite a lot in folder.
Ah ok, thanks, I'll have to check that. I renamed the one that just said samplelord.dll, iirc. Anybody else experiencing problems with vista64?
Project wrote:
or even for bridging x86 plugins with x86 hosts, to overcome the memory limit of a single 32bit process (not sure if in win64 each 32bit process can use around 3gb or if its 3gb for all the 32bit processes)
Do you mean this can be useful to go aver the memory usage limitations in windws Xp? Right now, the biggest problem for me in winxp with Cubase is that Cubase will crash when it uses more than 1.3 gig of RAM. So, it's impossible to use several ram consuming plugins in a given project even if I have 4 gigs of ram installed.

Do you think you can bridhe the plug-in and open it in another memory area? So the ram useb by the bridged plugin is not going to add to the Cubase memory usage?

If this is the case, count me for a beta test. Right now, I don't want to switch to 64 bit, so a solution for a better memory usage in 32 bit xp would be great!!!

tia

Project
We could give that a try... :) I'll upload a x86 version when I get home.
tony tony chopper wrote:
Hum, afaik, there shouldn't be any extra latency, as it reads/writes the audio buffers like a native x86 plugin. But you guys tell me.
Do you know something we don't? AFAIK there's no 32-64bit thunking possible in Windows (not one documented, that is). How do you do this without async communication with another process?
Of course not, it's the other way around, in fact I know very little. What I meant to say was that the processed buffer should get back "in time", for a reasonable buffer size, that is.

edit: wrong quote :oops:

Ok, just uploaded a new version, minor changes, included a version for x86 hosts, for bridging x86 plugins to x86 hosts.

There was a slight change in the naming, please read the included *.txt .

Thanks.

What I meant to say was that the processed buffer should get back "in time", for a reasonable buffer size, that is.
but it should also scale down badly with the # of plugins that are adapted?
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

umd wrote:Ok, just uploaded a new version, minor changes, included a version for x86 hosts, for bridging x86 plugins to x86 hosts.

There was a slight change in the naming, please read the included *.txt .

VST scanning error + note.

Plugin "Samplelord.64.dll" encountered invalid operation during scanning.

You should keep in mind that many plugins include a standalone version that is named plugin.exe and located in the same folder. I had to rename the "old" samplelord.exe.

I don't know what is wrong with my setup that it does not work. I have a plain vista install without modifications. Does this only run within an admin account?

tony tony chopper wrote:
What I meant to say was that the processed buffer should get back "in time", for a reasonable buffer size, that is.
but it should also scale down badly with the # of plugins that are adapted?
It will put more load in your system than a native plugin, for sure.

I don't know how many and/or which bridged plugins are needed to put a machine down to its knees, but I am not expecting any miracles. That's why I want to know how good or how bad it behaves.
samplemania wrote:
You should keep in mind that many plugins include a standalone version that is named plugin.exe and located in the same folder. I had to rename the "old" samplelord.exe.

I don't know what is wrong with my setup that it does not work. I have a plain vista install without modifications. Does this only run within an admin account?
Right! I didn't considered that chance. Thanks.

Hum, it could be. I've had a report of sucess in vista64, so it must be something else. Try to run it as an admin.

With this latest version, if it can't find the plugin or the auxhost, it will pop up a message with the destination path it was using.

Ok, uploaded a new version. Added a couple of things, minor stuff.

From now on you don't need to rename the *.exe, just the dll's. That should make it less messy. 8)

ps: bullshark, I managed to run dr008 in reaper x64, see if this version works for you.

Here's a quick beta in Sonar 8.3 x64

Inserted it into my PSP folder because they also require iLok, so that would have made a good test.

Running the Plugin Manager I get a 'Plugin Load Error' Main Call, on each plugin, but enabled anyway.

Then it asks me if I want to run auxhost.exe. If I answer yes, then the plugin manager crashes. If I press cancel it pauses for a while and then comes up with the Main Call error. It does this for every plugin that I've renamed in the folder. Eventually the plugin manager finishes and the effects appear in the list of plugs, with the .63 extension.

Inserting a plug into a track causes major system slowdown, prog not responding, have to shut down in Task Manager.

AS you say, not ready for prime time, but I'll watch with great interest. LEt us know when the next beta is up

Thanks for the information. I'll download the demo and check it out.

Hum, could you tell me if there's any difference without the *32.dll files inside the plugin's folder?

Thanks.

umd wrote: ps: bullshark, I managed to run dr008 in reaper x64, see if this version works for you.
Yeah, it's working. I had to disable the "show configuration on start" otherwise I was getting the illegal operation thingy on scan, and I can't seem to preview MIDI files without Reaper crashing, but I don't know yet if it's a Reaper x64 problem or if it's due to the wrapper. I'll test more once I've finished setting up my system.
No, that wasn't me.

bullshark wrote:I had to disable the "show configuration on start" otherwise I was getting the illegal operation thingy on scan...
Where did you disable this? I can't find it in preferences.

Return to “Instruments”