I hope this helps: How-To get the Tascam FireOne to work under Windows 7

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@BertKoor
I don't know if it works or not :D Maybe I'm just shocked that It doesn't work as I thought. Or maybe I connected it wrong - I bought XLR to RCA (didn't know coaxial and rca are in fact a different connectors) and connected them together - XLR to 'MIC/LINE IN' on FireOne and RCA to 'Coaxial out' on FiiO Dac.

And in fact, when I turn up the gain knob high enough, the bars do light up, however they are steady - when there Is sound being played, it (bar) goes up and stays steady till the end of the sound, what I mean by that is when there is a difference in volume, the bars stay in the same position. Should it be that way? I don't think so, but maybe?
I expected them to jump higher when the sound is louder, and drop lower when the sound is quieter. I thought this is a decibel meter, and I thought that's how they(db meters) work.

I also messed up with all buttons and dials on FireOne, but they make no difference. I mean, MIX dial turned to COMPUTER makes a difference, and the PAD button also makes a difference; 'turns off' the bar, but that's how it should be - at least in the 'mix' knob department, don't know about the 'pad' button.

If my explanation is too chaotic, I can provide a video.

Simple test: insert that RCA->XLR cable into one of the combo-inputs at the back of the Tascam device. Leave the RCA side unconnected. Turn up the "gain" pots on the top left all the way. Directly right of those is a "mix" knob: turn it all the way left to "input" instead of "computer". Both "pad" buttons should be depressed.
Now touch the tip of the RCA connector with your finger. This is usually audible as a gentle hum, so the LED bar should go up if it indeed receives anything resembling a signal.

But I already spot what's going on here:
> RCA to 'Coaxial out' on FiiO Dac

Coax out? As in "S/P-DIF coaxial"? That's a digital signal! The Tascam only has analog inputs.

NB: I never owned one of those units, but I know in general how stuff like this works, and I thought you have a chance the input preamps & LED bar will work stand-alone.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:49 am Coax out? As in "S/P-DIF coaxial"? That's a digital signal! The Tascam only has analog inputs.
I can't believe how lovely you are hah, what a nice "old forum" vibe. You sound like you genuinely want to be here and help me, rare these days.
But yeah if Coaxial and S/P-DIF coaxial are the same then yeah. I don't know why I didn't think "hmm i have line out on FiiO lets buy XLR to 3,5m jack instead of RCA", but yeah... my stupidity :tu: This is my FiiO DAC, and I connected it's coaxial out to XLR in on FireOne. I didn't unpack the cable that much so I will be able to exchange it for a xlr to jack (if it will change anything) :)

And this is how it works now. I'm changing the volume throughout the video, and it does nothing. (*the bar drops, and jumps up one time, bc by mistake I turned vol to 0 which makes the bar disappear)

I tried(not on video) to lower(and higher) the gain little by little, but it does not change the fact that the bar is not "jumping".
BertKoor wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:49 am NB: I never owned one of those units, but I know in general how stuff like this works, and I thought you have a chance the input preamps & LED bar will work stand-alone.
I am pretty sure it can work, or at least you and the fact that SOME signal is being goin to FireOne, gave me a really high hope. Something is just not set up right. MAYBE THE DIGITAL SIGNAL :dog:

I've been playing WarThunder while typing this reply, and because of that I think I forgot something that I wanted to type here, well, let's post it for now.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”