How to use 2 Kontakt 5 Vsti for 32 midichannels as soundmodules in Mulab

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote:4. you can enable as many virtual midi ports as you have installed via the MuLab > Midi Setup menu...each can receive up to 16 channels from outside
Note that all MIDI input ports are merged into 1 input port => MuLab handles up to 16 MIDI input channels => when counting 2 hands per person this means that 8 persons can MIDI control MuLab at the same time.

mutools wrote:In the setup you're using i.e. using a loopback driver to send MIDI over 16 channels to mulab, and then using MuLab's "Edit MIDI Input Focuses" (i assume that's what you're using right?) to connect the incoming MIDI channels to modules in your session, in this setup it's not possible to use more than 16 channels.
What makes in MUlab not possible that i can choose a port B ?
Answer VSt standards for Kontakt is outdated..are there VSti multi timbral what has more ports than?
Last edited by janamdo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:
janamdo wrote:Kontakt 5 has a good improvement that is the ability to have 4 midi pages (4 ports) with 16 channels each.
However when I want to choose the port "B" I see:

1) omni
2) Port A (from host)
3) Port B (not available)
3) Port C (not available)
3) Port D (not available)
It's been like that since Kontakt 2... So it's not exactly an "improvement". The VST plugin version supports receiving ONLY from Port A. This cannot be changed in VST2 standard. So, you simply need to load two or more Kontakt instances to utilize more MIDI channels (each of those will still receive from Port A (from host)).
I quoted this and replaced Kontakt 2 with 5..yes it is not a improvement anymore ..you are right

So how to make for this 2 instances of Kontakt a session setup in MUlab?..i loaded 2 instances of Kontakt in a rack each and use one port A for this

If the composer send on 32 midi channels note data to Mulab ..is this be heard on 32 midi channels at the same time?
Say flute on midi channel 1 and gitar on midichannel 22

I can't say for MuLab, but you would probably create two tracks, and each track will hold 16 MIDI channels. So channels 1-16 go to the first track, and channels 17-32 go to the second track.

EvilDragon wrote:I can't say for MuLab, but you would probably create two tracks, and each track will hold 16 MIDI channels. So channels 1-16 go to the first track, and channels 17-32 go to the second track.
I can make 2 instances of Kontakt in Mulab and uses subtracks for the midi channels?

But i like to use the 32 midi channels in my composing software

Yeah, each track sending to one of the two Kontakt instances. The limitation is not in MuLab, the limitation is in the MIDI standard.

Yes it seems to be working in Mulab 2 instances of Kontakt ..and now these sounds must be connected to my composer ?
Thanks!

I can only midi focus on 16 channels for one loopbackdriver in muLAB, so i must route the composer to one of the 2 kontakt vsti

I can choose for target Module (Midi focus) kontakt 1 for rack 1 or kontakt 2 for rack2, but it must be for one port ( max of 16 midichannels)

So Mulab must be extended to 32 midi channels !..than i choose 16 midi focus channels for rack 1 and 16 midi focus channels for rack 2 ??

well one port for 16 midi channels should work for the composer to work with Mulab, but Kontakt has not probably inbuilt a port B,C, and D..so Kontakt is only a 16 midi out

Internally MULAB can route to separate instances of Kontakt, with each instance having up to 16 channels. You would have one rack for each instance and then, most likely, one track or sub-track per channel, targeting that rack. In Kontakt, each instrument would listen on a specific channel rather than Omni.

However, for MIDI coming in from the outside, despite supporting multiple MIDI ports, MULAB appears to do a MIDI merge on the data down to 16 channels before letting you do anything else. That means if your computer has eight MIDI ports (supporting 16 channels on each, of course), you're no better off than having one MIDI port. (Whether those are physical or virtual ports is irrelevant.) For more extensive projects, this can be a drawback. Last time it was brought up, Jo saw it as a bit of an "edge case", I think.

Return to “MUTOOLS”