Two Vsti instances in MUlab of a monophone synth ( Karma)

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutools wrote:How did you setup the MIDI input focus table in this setup. I assume you use 'focused' channels. It should be 1->1, 2->2 etc.
For the 2 monophone Vsti on 2 midi channels it was ( i thought sufficient ) to focus only on the racks and filled not in the channels numbers

The midi channels 1 and 2 are set on the trackheader too

janamdo wrote:Yes , this is the case with a multitimbral Vsti sampler what has 4 ports, but only one port can be used
pljones wrote:Kontakt as a VST does not have 4 ports. The issue with channel assignment is not related to the number of ports here.
If you click in Kontakt on the A and middi channel 1 it opens A,B,C and D ( four midi ports ) with midi channels... u must use this than with a loopbackdriver connected with external software

Yes you stay in MULAB and i was thinking on a loopbackdriver configuration

janamdo wrote:If you click in Kontakt on the A and middi channel 1 it opens A,B,C and D ( four midi ports )
As a VST (in any host), all but A are marked "not available".

pljones wrote:
janamdo wrote:If you click in Kontakt on the A and middi channel 1 it opens A,B,C and D ( four midi ports )
As a VST (in any host), all but A are marked "not available".
Installing even two Vsti multitimbral in Mulab is no problem..use subtracks for the midi channels and use the maintrack for the Vsti's

As you use a a loopbackdriver it makes a connection with the VSTi kontakt..than you can click on this A

I'm now completely lost. I wasn't having a problem - I was trying to address the issues you were raising.
janamdo wrote:As you use a a loopbackdriver it makes a connection with the VSTi kontakt..than you can click on this A
This is wrong, though. If you're running Kontakt as a VST, that means you are not connecting your MIDI ports to Kontakt. Kontakt is getting events from the VST host only. The host is responsible for talking to the MIDI ports.

janamdo wrote:Now the configuration with a multitimbral Vsti again,because the last time i tried this i don't get as i want it with the composer
Assume that this multi-timbral VSTi is "Kontakt", then in order to work with your other composer software thru a loopback driver, you have to setup the MIDI Input Focus table like this:

Input Chan 1: Kontakt - Chan 1
Input Chan 2: Kontakt - Chan 2
Input Chan 3: Kontakt - Chan 3
etc...
I must look at this again , because i do have 8 midi loopbackports to use
Maybe in th ecomposer i can add a second loopbackport and route this to Mulab?
This specific limitation is a MuLab one, MuLab only supports up to 16 'external' MIDI input channels. 'External' = from MIDI hardware or via loopback driver etc. MuLab does support up to 8 MIDI input ports but these ports are merged into 1 before the MIDI travels further into the application. So, for example, playing channel 5 on MIDI input port 3 and playing channel 5 on MIDI input port 7 will have the same effect.

Note that this is about the 'external' MIDI input only, i'm not talking about the MIDI input of VSTi plugins. But there the problem doesn't occur, at least not with 2.4 plugins, as these only have 1 MIDI input port and thus 16 channels. That's a VST 2.4 + MIDI limitation.

Hope this helps.

pljones wrote:I'm not clear what "Focus" should mean if target module is "Target Module". At least that lets you switch rack yet still have multi-timbral but it should be like that by default, I'd have thought (i.e. target module as "Target Module" but channel unchanged).
Each module also has a focused MIDI channel which is the MIDI channel you last played on. Imagine you have 4 tracks routed to a single Kontakt, chans 1-4. When you select track 1, so Kontakt is focused, on channel 1 (now this is the focused channel for Kontakt). When you select track 3, so Kontakt still is focused, but now on channel 3 (now this is the focused channel for Kontakt).

So if you map external MIDI input channel 1 to Kontakt but to its focused channel, then you'll always get Kontakt but on its last focused channel. If you want a fixed setup, make a fixed setup cfr the previous post.

Note that this complexity is hidden to the average user who just plays with the auto-focus feature. The above details are only relevant in a situation like this.

Hope this clarifies all.

pljones wrote:I'm now completely lost. I wasn't having a problem - I was trying to address the issues you were raising.
Haha... i was thinking that your setup with kontakt in Mulabs gives you problems
But not aspectible for your person, what gives my the impression that you know MIDI well.
janamdo wrote:As you use a a loopbackdriver it makes a connection with the VSTi kontakt..than you can click on this A
I loaded a Kontakt 5 vsti inMUlab and clicking on midi channel [A]1..gives omni-port [A]from host--> this is Mulab)--and port B[not available] ...--> port D

So it works the same as with a loopbackdriver it seems..because Mulab acts for both as a host ( only Mulab or Mulab with a loopbackdriver )
pljones wrote: This is wrong, though. If you're running Kontakt as a VST, that means you are not connecting your MIDI ports to Kontakt. Kontakt is getting events from the VST host only. The host is responsible for talking to the MIDI ports.
Yes indeed you are right i thought that my external composing program was responsible for the ports in Kontakt, but if my external composer uses more ports than port A alone than port B,C and D can be used.
Mulab uses only port A

Two uses for MUlab
- Stand alone-> changing midi channels for recording with keyboard( midi channel focus )
- Host with loopbackdriver --> Only sound is important for the external software ( Mulab acts as a soundmodule )
Is midi focus necessary in Mulab for recording in the external composer ?

janamdo wrote:Is midi focus necessary in Mulab for recording in the external composer ?
If i understand your question well, then the answer is no.

Setup the MIDI Input Focus table like this:

Input Chan 1: Kontakt - Chan 1
Input Chan 2: Kontakt - Chan 2
Input Chan 3: Kontakt - Chan 3
etc...

(no 'focused' setting used)

mutools wrote:Hope this clarifies all.
OK, got it - the Focus setting continues to follow the last selected channel. Would clicking on a track set to Part's channel have cleared it? It would be nice (not even vaguely priority) if there was a way to have the input channel passed through without having to set up the "Edit MIDI Input Focus" table. Also some visual feedback of the current MIDI channel being set might be nice (next to the target module panel and keyboard?).

pljones wrote:Would clicking on a track set to Part's channel have cleared it? It would be nice (not even vaguely priority) if there was a way to have the input channel passed through without having to set up the "Edit MIDI Input Focus" table.
<edit>removed my initial reply, noticed something afterwards, will reply later on this</edit>
Also some visual feedback of the current MIDI channel being set might be nice (next to the target module panel and keyboard?).
Yes i did that in some M4 development stage, but thing is that it is redundant for many/most modules, it is only relevant when using a multi-timbral module. So i tried to only display it when it's about a multi-timbral context, but there were some complexities to define this, so i kept it simple.
Last edited by mutools on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've renamed "Edit MIDI Input Channel Focuses" to "Edit MIDI Input Channel Targets". And a couple of other renames in that dialog so to make things more clear. See next version M4.1.12, coming soon.

pljones wrote:It would be nice (not even vaguely priority) if there was a way to have the input channel passed through without having to set up the "Edit MIDI Input Focus" table.
Using M4.1.14: No it's not possible without setting up the MIDI Input Channel Targets table, but you could set it up once and save it as your favorite New.MuSession.

How to set it up so that MuLab still follows the focused module, but using the original incoming MIDI channels:

Channel 1 = Focused Module - Channel 1
Channel 2 = Focused Module - Channel 2
Channel 3 = Focused Module - Channel 3

Return to “MUTOOLS”