SSL FlexVerb - "mix-ready sound in a quick and intuitive way"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:55 pm I’d flexverb the one Martin Lind of Relab coded? I thought he did an SSL verb just not sure if it was this or a legacy product.
X-verb, it s inspired and can get close to some old lexicons.
i don t know who made this new one i tested very briefly and didn t like it much yet but i doubt it s bad coming from ssl , it was probably the source or me i guess

It's crazy to me that they'd have a reverb developed by one of the biggest names in reverb design, then completely abandon it in favor of a worse algorithm. Why not continue to monetize X-Verb by keeping it alive and porting it? Maybe the porting piece would be non-trivial...

I can't speak on the better reputed one because I don't have it, but I am sure the relab dude did a great job.

To me this is a nice option to have and that's why I bought it. I have more "natural space" reverb than effects. But I often use very small amounts of reverb to help elements feel of a space without sounding overtly "effected." For that purpose being able to dial in things precisely with its tone shaping and the compressor function help, and with a low mix and a number of sound elements in common it can sound nice, I like being able to configure ER and trails separately for this.

I do like some variety, and for sound design I think some of the more overt sounds Flex can do will be useful. Synth into reverb into granulator can be fun for example.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:51 pm It's crazy to me that they'd have a reverb developed by one of the biggest names in reverb design, then completely abandon it in favor of a worse algorithm. Why not continue to monetize X-Verb by keeping it alive and porting it? Maybe the porting piece would be non-trivial...
There's all kinds of factors that go into this stuff - licensing terms, availability and desire of the original devs to continue to work on it, ability other other people to modify it, how adaptable the codebase is to suit where the company wants to take it, third-party dependencies that may no longer be available or modernisable that need to be significantly re-developed, competitive business reasons, financial terms and so on.

SSL obviously made the decision that it was preferable for them to build their own plugin, with their own frameworks and team, than contract it out, do the work to adapt the previous version, or spend the money to licence it for a new plugin etc etc. The certainly wouldn't have made that decision if it was *worse* for them to do that... Without knowing the factors that went into the decision, you can't judge the decision as "crazy". Perhaps if you did know all the factors, you'd come to the same conclusion as they did as to the best way forward.

beely wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:47 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:51 pm It's crazy to me that they'd have a reverb developed by one of the biggest names in reverb design, then completely abandon it in favor of a worse algorithm. Why not continue to monetize X-Verb by keeping it alive and porting it? Maybe the porting piece would be non-trivial...
There's all kinds of factors that go into this stuff - licensing terms, availability and desire of the original devs to continue to work on it, ability other other people to modify it, how adaptable the codebase is to suit where the company wants to take it, third-party dependencies that may no longer be available or modernisable that need to be significantly re-developed, competitive business reasons, financial terms and so on.

SSL obviously made the decision that it was preferable for them to build their own plugin, with their own frameworks and team, than contract it out, do the work to adapt the previous version, or spend the money to licence it for a new plugin etc etc. The certainly wouldn't have made that decision if it was *worse* for them to do that... Without knowing the factors that went into the decision, you can't judge the decision as "crazy". Perhaps if you did know all the factors, you'd come to the same conclusion as they did as to the best way forward.
I recognize that. But still reserve the right to call it crazy anyway. :P

Just like I think it's crazy that Izotope is abandoning the Exponential verbs. They may all have great reasons, but great reverb algorithms don't grow on trees either.

Indeed. I wonder why they bought EA in the first place. It wasn't for Michael, and it wasn't seemingly for the plugins themselves, so my guess is they bought it for the underlying reverb technology (ie the reverb algorithms and tech), to use in future products, and that's probably why they don't care to support or invest in the old EA plugs, or even just make iZotope-badged versions etc...

Fortunately, like all their other Fx plugins I look forward to buying neoverb for $20 in a few years…right before they euthanize it for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I thought Neoverb was made with input from Michael? Isn't he in some of advisory role at Izotope.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

So after testing it, I would say it's a really good deal for 29$. The original price is absurd, but hey they aren't the only ones who are doing that.

In direct comparison the LX480 sounds better to me personally, but the Flexverb has a lot of things going for it apart from the pure algorithms. So I bought the LX480 essentials and the Flexverb for a total of 50$. That's a good deal to me.

^^ Agreed. I smushed together all my gift card money and got this thing and I am super duper pleased after only 5 minutes of trying. Gets pretty loud, and the plugin sounds very well; veeeeery nice weighty drum room sounds and small chambers. Better than most of what i currently had up to this for front of the house sounds. definitely worth the time smushing. i doubt theres a verb this goo legit at this price. get it now only a few hours to go... GMT? Very happy customer

I made two videos with a quick comparison, part II is with more acoustic instruments: https://youtu.be/3cuLdMWa6wI

I feel that’s where Flexverb really shines. Part one is electronic:
https://youtu.be/ked_FgStuZU
Last edited by flori89 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

v1o wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:27 am I thought Neoverb was made with input from Michael? Isn't he in some of advisory role at Izotope.
I think it was but it seems to have all the life sucked out of it compared to original EA reverbs.

flori89 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 pm I made two videos with a quick comparison, part II is with more acoustic instruments: https://youtu.be/3cuLdMWa6wI

The LX480 takes it there.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 pm
v1o wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:27 am I thought Neoverb was made with input from Michael? Isn't he in some of advisory role at Izotope.
I think it was but it seems to have all the life sucked out of it compared to original EA reverbs.
Izotope can't do anything right at the moment. They've had a streak of lacklustre releases. I was hoping they'd at least re-do the GUIs for the EA reverbs and Excalibur to bring them up to modern standards. The algorithms are still are the great so they don't need to change anything apart from the UX.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:06 pm
flori89 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 pm I made two videos with a quick comparison, part II is with more acoustic instruments: https://youtu.be/3cuLdMWa6wI

The LX480 takes it there.
Yea, gotta say the LX480 is mindblowingly good, especiall considering you can get the essentials for 25$. I still feel both have their place though. In my seconde example with the "Lo-Fi Beat" especially on the piano the SSL Flexverb has such a smooth, creamy sound. I really like it.

Return to “Effects”