Anyone got or tested out the Sequential Pro3?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:51 pm Love my Pro 3 :tu:
I love the range of things I can do with it.

It's probably still on my backburner list. TBH the price relegated it for me, and anyway...seems almost impossible to source from within NZ currently, though I guess I could ship from overseas from trusted dealers. Next on my immediate hit list is Korg MinilogueXD, after that not sure...might sit tight and wait for a couple of Behringer ones to eventuate. If I were going to splurge that amount for a Pro3, I'd likely go for a Summit instead - recent upgrade and filters I know I like, even though I don't really need a big poly.

At some point I need to own a Prophet and Pro3 is likely the one. Just not yet....famous last words :oops:

kritikon wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:49 pm If I were going to splurge that amount for a Pro3, I'd likely go for a Summit instead - recent upgrade and filters I know I like, even though I don't really need a big poly.
I'm actually selling my Peak to make space/inputs for the Pro 3. I like the Peak and hate to see it go, but it's too redundant with my other polys and just not getting any love, whereas the Pro 3 is in a class of its own.

One of the most attractive things about the Pro 3 to me is the filter section. It's got a 4-pole LP filter based on the Prophet 6, another 2-pole SVF based on the OB-6, and the ladder filter, upon which the Trigon 6's filter is based. Funny enough, the ladder filter is my least favorite of the three and it's pretty much cured my GAS for a Trigon (but, I'm not a ladder filter hater by any means, I just have too many synths with them already). My favorite is the P6 filter, which isn't surprising, since that filter is one of the reasons I love my P6 so much. As much as I've always wanted to love the OB-6, it never did much for me, but using the SVF on the Pro 3 has sorta ignited some GAS for it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I just assumed the Sequential filters were the same in different style synths, but with different formats/features. So, they're customised in each synth series?

Likewise, Obies just never lit a fire under me either. I should like them, but just don't. I don't dislike them as such, just don't love 'em. I used to really piss of a colleague that could not figure out why I always shunned his OBXa in favour of almost anything else he brought round - he thought I should have been salivating over it. He'd mess around and create what he thought were unique precious big warm fat chords and special FX that all just made me very quietly go "meh?" , then I'd querulously ask why he didn't bring round the Jupiter6 instead? :hihi:

kritikon wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:51 pm I just assumed the Sequential filters were the same in different style synths, but with different formats/features. So, they're customised in each synth series?
Yes, each of the "6" series (Prophet, OB, and Trigon) has its own filter design and the Pro 3 basically has all three of them available (individually only, they can't be run serial/parallel). The P6 actually has two separate filters, a 4-pole LP based on the original P5 and a 2-pole HP, but the Pro 3 only has the LP. The SVF filter is based on the OB-6 with continuously variable high-pass, band-pass, low-pass - the more I use the Pro 3, the more I'm loving the OB-6 filter! The Pro 3 actually came out before the Trigon 6, which is sorta built around an enhanced version of the Pro 3's ladder filter.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I tried it on superbooth and wasn’t impressed. Than I got a cheap offer on eBay and now I own it for some weeks. I don’t like the factory presets, but was able to make really nice own presets. Would be cool to use two filters simultaneously like pro2. What I also don’t like are the endless knobs for LFO freq- there is no good feeling to dial freq and amount. The matrix and sequencer are really nice - also distortion, drive and feedback. I have only touched the surface, but as more as I play with it, I explore endless possibilities.
It’s a good addition to my sub37. Maybe I‘ll add a Novation peak for polyphony.

I'm just about to my 6-month anniversary with my Pro-3 and feel like I'm still only scratching the surface. It's definitely one of those synths that I'll fire up at 10:00 pm and the next thing I know it's 2:00 am.

I'm still making new patches for mine and feel like it is vital to fill up at least one user bank with custom stuff since it is just duplicates of factory presets. It does have a HP filter in effects, but I never use that one.
I wish it had better knobs too, but overall the Pro3's specs. make other synths specs. look bad.

Am I right in thinking that it uses the OB-6 and Prophet-6 filters rather than the redesigned prophet 5 filter or Oberheim equivalent? Might be something to consider. Also, it's a bit of a bummer they discontinued the Pro-2 as it was pretty unique.
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:43 am Am I right in thinking that it uses the OB-6 and Prophet-6 filters rather than the redesigned prophet 5 filter or Oberheim equivalent?
Yes, that’s correct. Also, my understanding is that the Trigon’s ladder filter is an enhanced version of the Pro-3’s ladder filter.

I love my Pro-3. Definitely my favorite mono and my favorite Sequential. (And I have had P600, Rev2, Tempest, Tetra, Evo, PolyEvo.) I got it as soon as it was announced and have used it on just about everything, from bass to paraphonic pads and leads. And it can be everything from silky smooth to aggressive. Super fun sequencer, deep matrix, and the morphing was a great addition!

I've been thinking about getting a Pro 3 but I prefer working 100% ITB and I was wondering, what would be the closest VST? For me the main appeal of the Pro 3 is the mod matrix. I already have Diva and Repro, but these have very limited modulation. What else is there that could replace the Pro 3?

Scoox wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 pm I've been thinking about getting a Pro 3 but I prefer working 100% ITB and I was wondering, what would be the closest VST? For me the main appeal of the Pro 3 is the mod matrix. I already have Diva and Repro, but these have very limited modulation. What else is there that could replace the Pro 3?
Maybe Pigments or Phase Plant
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Scoox wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 pm I've been thinking about getting a Pro 3 but I prefer working 100% ITB and I was wondering, what would be the closest VST? For me the main appeal of the Pro 3 is the mod matrix. I already have Diva and Repro, but these have very limited modulation. What else is there that could replace the Pro 3?
No plugin comes to mind that can match the raw tone of the Pro-3 plus has the range of features, modulation and sound morphing. Maybe you can build a Pro-3 in VCV Rack?

I suspect if you care about the sound character and quality, you are not going to find a suitable replacement in software.

There's nothing in or out the box that could replace the PRO3.
After all these years of using it, it's still my favorite hardware mono of all time and IMHO the best synth
Dave Smith ever made.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”