IK Releases TONEX ODS Legends

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VOODOO U wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:50 pm If Joe has any contractual disagreement with IKM, I fail to see how Twitter can solve it.
Hot takes are admissible in a court of law.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:06 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:50 pm If Joe has any contractual disagreement with IKM, I fail to see how Twitter can solve it.
Hot takes are admissible in a court of law.
So? If I had a serious business disagreement, the last thing on my mind would be to vent a "Hot Take" on Twitter.

Joe doesn’t have a legal case so he’s litigating in the court of public opinion.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

it's good to know that everybody involved has remained completely "on brand" for this whole thing.

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:42 pm Joe doesn’t have a legal case
Right. He didn't read the fine print.

For the record, I bought the pack, and I did not sound anything like Joe Bonnamassa when I played through them earlier, a lot of flubbed notes and pick slop. Slower, too. So they couldn't have been Joe's amps they modelled. must have found other ones. they did sound good, despite that it was me playing.

ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:34 am For the record, I bought the pack, and I did not sound anything like Joe Bonnamassa when I played through them earlier, a lot of flubbed notes and pick slop. Slower, too. So they couldn't have been Joe's amps they modelled. must have found other ones. they did sound good, despite that it was me playing.
Maybe that's what Joe heard? :shrug: :P

This makes me think of the old adage, there's no such thing as bad publicity. In all honesty, I don't think I'd ever heard of Joe Bonamassa as recently as 3 years ago. I grew up on a steady diet of classic rock guitar and that informs most of my playing, but my favorite guitarists are indie guys like Johnny Marr, Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo, Graham Coxon, and Peter Buck.

Where I became familiar with Bonamassa was YouTuber's like Rick Beato or channels like Five Watt World who'd talk about him glowingly, would have him on, or even show quick clips of him. Then "the algorithm" would throw up stuff like "Joe Bonamassa's Les Paul tone tips" and stuff like that - and I'd check that out. The guy's a great player with great tone, no doubt. But I've never thought so much about him until coming across this sh*t storm today. I still haven't heard the guy play an actual song!

But I'm suddenly thinking and talking a lot about Joe Bonamassa today! He got me!

well, if you are going to have a long career in music despite having an almost total lack of raw charisma, you better be good, and he is. I'm not a huge proponent of five minute guitar solos attached to two minute songs, but YMMV. He's in the same camp as Eric Johnson. For me, I liked him best as a member of Black Country Communion with Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonham.

I just laugh at this situation. IK's perpetual pushing the envelope of business ethics and good taste combined with a musician who is legendarily pissy and temperamental. Love it. Maybe they can work with Yngwie next.

ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:41 am I just laugh at this situation. IK's perpetual pushing the envelope of business ethics and good taste combined with a musician who is legendarily pissy and temperamental. Love it.
IK must be doing something right if they have consumers.

VOODOO U wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:52 am
ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:41 am I just laugh at this situation. IK's perpetual pushing the envelope of business ethics and good taste combined with a musician who is legendarily pissy and temperamental. Love it.
IK must be doing something right if they have consumers.
Yeah, they make decent stuff, and it's inexpensive. They got plenty of my money. but we're gear junkies. they've done any number of iffy things over the years. FOMO still takes over...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:10 am This makes me think of the old adage, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
It works in IK's favor, too. Now people know they used Bonamassa's amps and they didn't even have to pay him for it.

ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:04 am FOMO still takes over...
That's what happens when one loses trust and.focus in what they're writing. I get shit done with freebies and I do it over Guitar Rig which I have a license for.
Guitar tones don't make it happen without a songwriter's confident direction.
Nobody misses out because of gear and in our time nobody misses out because of plugins. Just look at Hip Hop -It starts with turntables spinning other's music.
People miss out because they lack passion.

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:21 pm Joe didn’t get to where he is by being naive. He didn’t just send off his amps on a promise. There was a contract in place that spelled out everyone’s rights and responsibilities. Joe clearly chose to not exercise his option to endorse the product for a cut of the profits. But surely that was in there, and surely the contract stated that IK retained the right to release the product without his endorsement, should he pass.

You also don’t get to where IK is by not covering all your bases legally.
That’s exactly what I thought. IK’s been doing plugins endorsed by artists and manufacturers for a long time, so it’s not their first rodeo.

To be honest, I have no idea who Joe Bonamassa is. I mean, I’ve heard the name, I just figured he was some session dude. I’m not a huge blues fan. I also don’t care about endorsements. I buy based on what I think of something. I learned a lesson when I was a kid. I bought a guitar and amp based on someone famous, and while it was a billion times better than what I had before, it wasn’t for me, and it took me a few years to figure that out. Actually, the amp was great, the guitar was off. Everyone should learn that lesson. Buying something because it has some dude’s name on it is for suckers. Buy it if you like it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

VOODOO U wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:24 am
ShawnG wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:04 am FOMO still takes over...
That's what happens when one loses trust and.focus in what they're writing. I get shit done with freebies and I do it over Guitar Rig which I have a license for.
Guitar tones don't make it happen without a songwriter's confident direction.
Nobody misses out because of gear and in our time nobody misses out because of plugins. Just look at Hip Hop -It starts with turntables spinning other's music.
People miss out because they lack passion.
We were talking about why people buy stuff from IK. This is a new topic. Good for you that you are apparently free from Gear acquisition syndrome and FOMO. The ability to create with whatever is available, and the desire to collect gear can exist simultaneously in the same individual. They are separate things. Joe B is actually a good example.

Return to “Guitars”