What synth sounds can I not make?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:28 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:24 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:16 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:04 pm
Michael L wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:30 pm You have no PM, or vocal or orchestral synth, so can't make those sounds, just off the top. Not that you want to. Dont see a cowbell synth either
Well, I was speaking mainly about synth sounds. I have Sfizz and close to 120GB of sample libraries that I didn’t mention. In all honesty, once I sort through all the libraries and weed out what I don’t like, I’ll probably end up with a quarter of that that will make muster. But I figure I’m at least to some extent covered for acoustic/real/orchestral sounds. Though I do admit that I don’t have yet a guitar library with which I am satisfied.

As for PM synthesis, doesn’t FM synthesis cover largely the same ground?

As for vocal synthesis, that is one that I am planning on buying, but I don’t yet have—Synth V. As I get older and older, I find that my voice no longer sounds good to my ears—it was probably always that way, but now that I’ve noticed it, I can’t stop thinking about it—and I am my hardest critic. Also, my hands are starting to learn what arthritis feels like, and some days I just don’t want to play my guitar—thus the search for a proper guitar library. 🙂
Many PM synthesizers go beyond modeling known instruments and can create new, never before heard sounds. Check out Plasmonic.
Agreed! Plasmonic is one synth I’ve been watching. I’ve been trying really hard to stay completely Linux native with my software, but I have to admit that there are a few things that the Linux ecosystem lacks—like the above mentioned lack of a high quality virtual guitar library….and physical modeling to tge caliber of Plasmonic. That’s where WINE comes in, I guess. But I definitely prefer native apps. 🙂
My friend Noah is fond of saying, “Linux is only free to those who don’t value their time. :lol:
Hehe! It certainly can be that way—especially for those hardcore users that only use open source or compile things on their own. But I’m not afraid to buy commercial software, so Linux is no more difficult to me than would be Windows or Apple. I like the freedom and flexibility of Linux, but I’m not a masochist. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:04 pmI just don’t want to play my guitar—thus the search for a proper guitar library. 🙂
Think about a PM (physical modeling) guitar or strings or harpsichord synth, for expressiveness.
Think about a Linnstrument for your hands.
But just think, don't actually buy any more
:party:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:58 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:04 pmI just don’t want to play my guitar—thus the search for a proper guitar library. 🙂
Think about a PM (physical modeling) guitar or strings or harpsichord synth, for expressiveness.
That’s actually what I’ve been doing. I’ve been considering a Linnstrument, but I might like a full sized Haken Continuum Fingerboard instead—but oh, the price! Ouch! It’s seriously on my mind as my hands slowly degrade in their abilities. Plus, I’ve got carpal tunnel numbness that creeps up after usage. I’ve been considering these things for a couple of years now, and I keep watching for new MPE devices as well.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:23 am
Michael L wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:58 pm
That’s actually what I’ve been doing. I’ve been considering a Linnstrument, but I might like a full sized Haken Continuum Fingerboard instead—but oh, the price! Ouch! It’s seriously on my mind as my hands slowly degrade in their abilities. Plus, I’ve got carpal tunnel numbness that creeps up after usage. I’ve been considering these things for a couple of years now, and I keep watching for new MPE devices as well.
I’m a big fan of MPE. I bought a Roli Rise 49 a little while after it was released and I still use it every day. It’s not a “new” sound, but a new way of adding expression to your sounds that I think is more interesting, in a way. U-He just added MPE to a beta version and I’m not sure but I think they develop for Linux too. There’s the Continuum too, as you mentioned, but the price has kept me away from that one. The Osmose is a bit more affordable, but its lack of per-note-manual portamento has kept me away from it. Meaning, I can slide my fingers all around the Rise (the Continuum behaves this way too) in any arbitrary way and all the notes just move as they should. The Osmose uses this trick to do portamento, but it’s only in one direction, meaning you couldn’t slide a chord down on your left hand while you do a melody with your right hand that is sliding up. Anyway, I love the squishy feel of it and it generally responds really great in every way. The new version is supposed to be even better, but I’ve not tried it yet.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Agreed! MPE is very cool! I think it will be jey in adding to the expression of realistic instruments. U-he does indeed support Linux. The future looks bright! 🙂

audiojunkie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:23 am I’ve been considering a Linnstrument, but I might like a full sized Haken Continuum Fingerboard instead—but oh, the price! Ouch! It’s seriously on my mind as my hands slowly degrade in their abilities. Plus, I’ve got carpal tunnel numbness that creeps up after usage. I’ve been considering these things for a couple of years now, and I keep watching for new MPE devices as well.
You can always contact Roger Linn directly here if you have any questions about the LinnStrument (128), and if needed, you can schedule a video call with him for further inquiries or demonstrations. The full-sized Continuum Fingerboards have been discontinued for a long time, so good luck finding one for sale and the funds to acquire it. You can use my lists of MPE hardware in my forum signature to see what options are available.

The LinnStrument is plug-and-play with Linux, and as I mentioned way back in the Linux DAW thread, I (still) use it with Surge XT. Your experience with Linux compatibility for other MPE hardware will vary, so I suggest carefully researching beforehand before committing to hardware that could cause issues with your workflow.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:58 am
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:23 am I’ve been considering a Linnstrument, but I might like a full sized Haken Continuum Fingerboard instead—but oh, the price! Ouch! It’s seriously on my mind as my hands slowly degrade in their abilities. Plus, I’ve got carpal tunnel numbness that creeps up after usage. I’ve been considering these things for a couple of years now, and I keep watching for new MPE devices as well.
You can always contact Roger Linn directly here if you have any questions about the LinnStrument (128), and if needed, you can schedule a video call with him for further inquiries or demonstrations. The full-sized Continuum Fingerboards have been discontinued for a long time, so good luck finding one for sale and the funds to acquire it. You can use my lists of MPE hardware in my forum signature to see what options are available.

The LinnStrument is plug-and-play with Linux, and as I mentioned way back in the Linux DAW thread, I (still) use it with Surge XT. Your experience with Linux compatibility for other MPE hardware will vary, so I suggest carefully researching beforehand before committing to hardware that could cause issues with your workflow.
Oh! That's cool! Thank you for the info! :) I actually follow your MPE link very closely. Thank you for providing such a useful resource! I wasn't aware about the discontinuation of the full sized Continuum. It sounds like the LinnStrument may indeed be on of the better MPE devices to consider, since it supports Linux. I just have always been turned off by the learning curve of the interface. I've also not been sure about the touch screen. It may indeed be a good idea to actually contact Roger Linn. :)

There are also additive synths like razor that makes sounds these cant make. Or resynthesis. You also dont have a modular so cant do some complex patches that are possible in modular. also none of these will sound like real analog. Only analog synths will sound the same as analog synths. But a sample-based synth using analog waveforms (eg uvi, omnisphere, ik) can sound close to real analog, imo closer than an algorithmic emulation like the ones you mentioned, but a really good emulation like softube can sound pretty close. you could also look into drum machines and emulations of specific synths like a 303, 808, 909 etc that have a particular character

j wazza wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:34 pm There are also additive synths like razor that makes sounds these cant make. Or resynthesis. You also dont have a modular so cant do some complex patches that are possible in modular. also none of these will sound like real analog. Only analog synths will sound the same as analog synths. But a sample-based synth using analog waveforms (eg uvi, omnisphere, ik) can sound close to real analog, imo closer than an algorithmic emulation like the ones you mentioned, but a really good emulation like softube can sound pretty close. you could also look into drum machines and emulations of specific synths like a 303, 808, 909 etc that have a particular character
But...but... I did list a modular. I listed a very good modular. Cardinal. :)

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:38 pm It sounds like the LinnStrument may indeed be on of the better MPE devices to consider, since it supports Linux. I just have always been turned off by the learning curve of the interface. I've also not been sure about the touch screen. It may indeed be a good idea to actually contact Roger Linn. :)
Like Linux, you decide how steep you want that learning curve to be. For example, Jordan Rudess uses GeoShred using the default Strings 4th layout with 1 finger, whereas I use Surge XT with the tritone layout using 4-6 fingers. If you want to customize the LinnStrument further, see this thread.

Contact Roger and ask to meet a LinnStrumentalist in your area for a demonstration. After experiencing the interface and its workflow, you can make an informed decision about whether or not the LinnStrument is right for you. The firmware is open-source, unlike other MPE hardware controllers, so you can expect long-term support (since 2014).

Thank you for this information! I like the idea of the firmware being open source! :)

Is there any possible way you could take a close up picture of the pad/buttons/screen, whatever it is? I'm mostly interested in whether it is rubber buttons, a glass screen, pads, etc... I saw that somehow you can even strum it. I don't see how that would be possible if the playable area is just little rubber buttons. Thanks! :)

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:49 pm Is there any possible way you could take a close up picture of the pad/buttons/screen, whatever it is?
No, not with my current situation, but I can describe it. On a stock LinnStrument, the main grid playing surface, along with the raised buttons on the side, is made out of one piece of silicone. Above that is a steel top panel with a black painted finish and silkscreen-printed labels. Here is a exploded view of all of the LinnStrument 128's layers.

62ccf4a06e144b27685f2c16_LinnStrument 128, exploded view with captions.png

Compare that to my LinnStrument Darker Mod, which uses a black bamboo fabric instead for the main playing surface, while retaining the outer silicone playing surface for the column function buttons, among other changes.

1.JPG

As for the strumming feature, there are technically two methods to "strum":
  1. Low Row: Per-Split Settings -> 8th column and 3rd row. This uses the lowest row as a retrigger for notes in its respective column, so this strumming is horizontal; you have access to 16 or 25 "strings" depending on your LinnStrument model.
  2. Split and Special: enable Split (2nd lowest button), then access Per-Split Settings -> 14th column and 3rd row. This uses the currently selected split as a strumming area, and behaves in a similar manner to the guitar:
    1. When you finger a note in the opposite split, the note will not sound until you strum it in the Strum split.
    2. If you strum a row that contains no touched notes in the other split, its lowest note pitch will play, similar to strumming open strings on a guitar.
    3. If multiple notes are fingered in a single row, only the highest-pitch note will play.
    4. Hammer-ons and pull-offs can be performed on each row.
    5. Sensitivity of the Strum split is increased while Strum is on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The crazy freakout"

starts 2:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrloRZzjV7o

Even CHOOS didn´t get it ;-)

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:00 am
audiojunkie wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:49 pm Is there any possible way you could take a close up picture of the pad/buttons/screen, whatever it is?
No, not with my current situation, but I can describe it. On a stock LinnStrument, the main grid playing surface, along with the raised buttons on the side, is made out of one piece of silicone. Above that is a steel top panel with a black painted finish and silkscreen-printed labels. Here is a exploded view of all of the LinnStrument 128's layers.

62ccf4a06e144b27685f2c16_LinnStrument 128, exploded view with captions.png

Compare that to my LinnStrument Darker Mod, which uses a black bamboo fabric instead for the main playing surface, while retaining the outer silicone playing surface for the column function buttons, among other changes.

1.JPG

As for the strumming feature, there are technically two methods to "strum":
  1. Low Row: Per-Split Settings -> 8th column and 3rd row. This uses the lowest row as a retrigger for notes in its respective column, so this strumming is horizontal; you have access to 16 or 25 "strings" depending on your LinnStrument model.
  2. Split and Special: enable Split (2nd lowest button), then access Per-Split Settings -> 14th column and 3rd row. This uses the currently selected split as a strumming area, and behaves in a similar manner to the guitar:
    1. When you finger a note in the opposite split, the note will not sound until you strum it in the Strum split.
    2. If you strum a row that contains no touched notes in the other split, its lowest note pitch will play, similar to strumming open strings on a guitar.
    3. If multiple notes are fingered in a single row, only the highest-pitch note will play.
    4. Hammer-ons and pull-offs can be performed on each row.
    5. Sensitivity of the Strum split is increased while Strum is on.
Thank you for the detailed information! How repairable is the Linnstrument? I imagine things can wear out easy with continuous use—especially with strumming? Are replacement parts available? Is it easy to replace parts by yourself?

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:19 pmHow repairable is the Linnstrument?
Fully repairable: a Phillips #1 screwdriver is used for the steel top panel's screws and guitar strap buttons, while a Phillips #2 screwdriver is used for the wooden side screws. There are some tiny nuts securing the LED board under the main circuit board within the chassis, which can be removed using a hex nut wrench (unsure about exact size).
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:19 pmI imagine things can wear out easy with continuous use—especially with strumming?
It depends, but the silicone playing surface and the polyurethane non-stick coating is very difficult to wear off. I have only ever known one LinnStrumentalist that has ever managed to do so.

LinnStruments with older silicone playing surfaces and the silicone non-stick coating are more prone to wear. You can read about the LinnStrument's hardware changelog in the Buying Used page.
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:19 pmAre replacement parts available?
Yes, from the Roger Linn Design Online Store. Some parts are from McMaster: For parts not listed or for upgrading your used LinnStrument's components, contact Roger Linn.
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:19 pmIs it easy to replace parts by yourself?
Definitely. Here is a video showcasing the entire process.

LinnStrument disassembly - Invidious

Return to “Sound Design”