i7 doesn't just mean i7... Desperate Producer

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Danno wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:13 am Does that scan.co.uk have a database of ALL their measured cpus? I only see a limited list.
I'd want to compare something current with what I've got now.
Try this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20240000000 ... udio.info/
Original site is offline.
Another source is Sound on Sound magazine, they were publishing Pete Kaine benchmarks regularly.
I'm sure there are other places to find info if you look hard enough.

I have a 3500 dell and a 400 gateway. There is no real difference. Not this day and age, it seems.

Honestly...
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I recently upgraded from a 4th gen i7-4771 to a 14th gen i7-14700K. The difference in performance is huge.
Last edited by anoise on Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danno wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:13 am Does that scan.co.uk have a database of ALL their measured cpus? I only see a limited list.
I'd want to compare something current with what I've got now.
Don't know the answer to that, but my personal experience probably will be similar (albeit laptops not desktops). Went from an i7 3740qm to an i7 12700h this year. This is how they compare on cpubenchmark;

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/14 ... -i7-12700H

What I've found in practice is that it will run about 3x the amount of stuff (FL studio) as the old one - really struggling to max it out!

Of course this is highly dependent on what you're doing and other factors, but thought it would give you an idea.

I guess it depends on your workflow. On my 3500 system, never ran into a problem with cpu or ram. On my 400 gateway, same thing! Especially taking into consideration freezing tracks etc for cpu and ram.

If you want to spend money, don't bother with cpu! That's my 2 cents. A GPU or Ram, sure, but forget about cpu ranks and performance meters.

I think on a couple of tracks, I had 50-100 tracks of synths, spire, massive x, etc. no problem, on a 400 dollar computer. That's like an i3 vs i9. At some point and i99 makes no sense for what you need to do. The computer just eats more energy and gets hotter, that's it
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

anoise wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:48 am I recently upgraded from a 4th gen i7-4771 to a 14th gen i7-14700K. The difference in performance is huge. Here is a comparison with the same Bitwig project:
Yep I upgraded from i7-4960X (6 core) to R7950X (16 core) and can now run 4 or 5x the same project which had 2/3 tracks frozen (freezed) on the i7 :D :hyper: :phones:
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Touch The Universe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:08 am If you want to spend money, don't bother with cpu! That's my 2 cents.
Sorr,y buddy, but, the first thing I would upgrade if you run out of processing power for audio plugins is the CPU.

If you really can do 50 to 100 tracks with these plugins on your i3, then you merely designed your patches to use less CPU. I know, there are quite powerful i3's these days as well, but, audio plugins require CPU power, there's no way around that.

This ^

Idk much about ethernet cards, wi-fi etc, but I know when I get a new PC I'll have lots of files to re-download... One PC I'm leaning towards has an onboard "integrated: Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM 10/100/1000". If I plug the 'rj45' from the motherboard into my 'Asus USB N66' is that decent speed for downloading? or any suggestions of a card or something. I think we have a fast reputable internet service.

Thanks everyone for all the help; though I'll probably need more. . . I purchased my new PC and it should be good for years to come. It's a 'Dell Precision 3440 SFF'... I got the i7-10700 cpu w/ a 1tb NVMe (main), 2tb SSD (backup), and 64gb of ram. I'm excited. . . Now I should probably upgrade my 10 year old version of 'Cubase Essentials 9' to a current 'Cubase Artist 13'

Guitar Binge wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:49 pm Idk much about ethernet cards, wi-fi etc, but I know when I get a new PC I'll have lots of files to re-download... One PC I'm leaning towards has an onboard "integrated: Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM 10/100/1000". If I plug the 'rj45' from the motherboard into my 'Asus USB N66' is that decent speed for downloading? or any suggestions of a card or something. I think we have a fast reputable internet service.
What speed broadband do you have? The integrated supports upto 1Gb. I would imagine your Asus ports are 1Gb too. As long as you cable is cat 5e or cat6 it will support up to 1Gb.
Unless your broadband is faster than 1Gb I'm sure it'll be fine. Cable is faster than WiFi.

I'm not sure what speed, I'll have to ask my parents. I just know it's on the higher end of what 'Xfinity' offers for wi-fi speeds. Then since I'm on the opposite side of the house and floors as the router/modem, there's a booster device. I'll probably plug in to the booster during all my main downloads, then afterwards put my PC in the studio; keeping the long term setup which is my PC 'rj45' motherboard output to my 'Asus UsbN66'... Since I don't know anything about wi-fi/ethernet cards, if there's anything to upgrade or add that would make a huge difference, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks again.

Boosters are notorious for being flaky however bear in mind a booster will only boost what it receives I.e. if you place the booster in an area where the WiFi signal is poor it will only boost that poor WiFi signal. A lot of people struggle with that 😅 there's a bit of a balance.

Your download/upload speed will only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

I'd suggest plugging into ethernet if you can, if you install your motherboard drivers, you'll pull 1Gbs. likewise, If your wifi access point and your new PC support wifi6, then that can get up to 1.2Gb/sec. If your Xfinity line is only serving you 800Mb/sec...all of that is going to cap out at 800Mb/sec when pulling from outside your network....so ultimately, don't sweat much of this at all.

Don't confuse GB/sec with Gb/sec either. You'll only be disappointed.

Sounds good. I appreciate the help.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”