Luna on Windows (open beta) released.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

J Veronica wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:32 am It's impressive looking, although I had to go online to figure out how to open the piano roll.

I'm happy with Reaper but will tinker with this on the side.
I've tinkered with some DAW's on the side while continuing to use Reaper. Mostly they just did the same things, but worse and more expensive. I like the more novel sorts of daws like Harrison, but the Ardour it's built on just isn't for me.The more I mess with Luna, the more I think it might become part of my workflow, after the beta period. Don't see how I can ever leave Reaper for it's editing speed and simplicity, though.

dikrek wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:15 am
Most DAWs allow a straight purchase - who doesn’t now? Yes some also have a subscription version but typically those same companies allow a normal one-time purchase as well.
They also remove certain plug-ins and add-ons from their pro and premium models now, in the effort to make their subscription models more appealing. This doesn't sit well for long time perpetual users who deserve the same content as their rental version. This now provides another option than riding their subscription train into the future, which might start disabling features.

J Veronica wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:32 am It's impressive looking, although I had to go online to figure out how to open the piano roll.

I'm happy with Reaper but will tinker with this on the side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kDgV-VrAg

Yeah, they have a great series of videos showing all the basics, features and uses, etc.
They made it easy by making the command 'E' for editing, and the piano roll zooms, because everything is done in the timeline, no separate windows.

Is there any integration with UAD plugins you already own as Native or do you have to pay again to get them integrated fully ?

Digivolt wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:04 pm Is there any integration with UAD plugins you already own as Native or do you have to pay again to get them integrated fully ?
Only some are integrated so far. The tape plugins I have (Studer, ATR automatically show up in Luna integrated. Very nice!

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I think you have to buy this to use the api full console emulation:
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/inst ... undle.html

(obviously, dont buy it for that much, get the way cheaper Luna Pro bundle, which includes the api stuff plus a lot more.)

I'd image typical outboard rack gear emulations (la-2a etc) won't be integrated into the mixer, which makes sense. But hopefully more channel strips and summing options are added. Neve has the summing so far, but not a channel strip yet.

Jeezebus - for a moment I was excited - but then I had to realize that there seems to be a strict seperation between mono and stereo tracks - which is the dumbest, nonsensical, and outright unuseable bollocks ever. :bang:

So unless I am totally mistaken Luna is basically just some POS I can savely delete right away (and unsubscribe from their newsletter while I'm at it).

jens wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:55 pm Jeezebus - for a moment I was excited - but then I had to realize that there seems to be a strict seperation between mono and stereo tracks - which is the dumbest, nonsensical, and outright unuseable bollocks ever. :bang:

So unless I am totally mistaken Luna is basically just some POS I can savely delete right away (and unsubscribe from their newsletter while I'm at it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rl6fuB2buI

Tracks > Convert to Stereo or Convert to Mono.

Yeah, while searching for a possible solution I came across that one too - which certainly doesn't help -
can it really be that they messed it up like that? :-o :shock:

jens wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:14 pm Yeah, while searching for a possible solution I came across that one too - which certainly doesn't help -
I think it has to do with the old analog mixing console type approach. I do like the convenience of being able to switch back and forth in S1. But, maybe they will add this later, because LUNA seems to be a little behind on a lot of modern day features, since it's still pretty new.

I prefer not having forced stereo multing, the way reaper does. It's one of the few drawbacks of reaper, and quite absurd that hoops must be jumped through to stop a plugin from processing a mono signal in stereo and wasting cpu.

Just let a user decide whether they want to mult a mono signal or not. Analog wasn't wrong to do it this way.

Hardly a big deal breaking sort of issue with a DAW though.

eerie_audio wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:53 pm
jens wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:14 pm Yeah, while searching for a possible solution I came across that one too - which certainly doesn't help -
I think it has to do with the old analog mixing console type approach. I do like the convenience of being able to switch back and forth in S1. But, maybe they will add this later, because LUNA seems to be a little behind on a lot of modern day features, since it's still pretty new.
Well, imo it's just bollocks - i.e. I think it's conceptually just done completely wrong. The absolutely typical, usual way of recording audio is recording mono sources - vocals, bass-guitar, electric guitar, many analog synthesizers, brass, reed, yadda yadda - these are all typically recorded in mono. And in a DAW, you normally want to insert some stereo plugins:

Reverb? Stereo. Luna? Nope.

Delay? (usually) stereo. Luna? Nope.

Chorus? Stereo. Luna? Nope.

Phaser? (often) stereo. Luna? Nope.

Flanger? (often) stereo. Luna? Nope.

Mid/side? Stereo. Luna? Nope.

Stereo EQ? Luna? Nope.

Other FX with purposeful variations between the left and right channel? (obviously) stereo. Luna? Nope.

You get the idea. In Luna you have to jump through absurd hoops just in order to be able to do bog-standard mixing stuff like this. This isn't 1970 after all. If they want to dial the clock back like this they should consider selling wax cylinders instead (and ride to work on horseback in the morning while they're at it).

KVRforumRulez wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:07 pm quite absurd that hoops must be jumped through to stop a plugin from processing a mono signal in stereo and wasting cpu.
Tbh I absolutely don't get your point - if there is a difference in resource-consumption at all (which for mono plugins shouldn't be the case in the first place), the plugins in question usually give you the choice whether they're processing in mono or stereo. If they don't, you should complain to the plugin vendor in question, not Cockos.

But I am curious now which plugins exactly you are referring to - because I can't think of any where your complaint might apply.

And anyway: if there really are stereo-plugins which don't allow you to be set to mono and use more CPU because of that, they should use the exact same number of cycles in Luna - and if not you'd get the same CPU-saving in Reaper by simply disconnecting one of the two main input-channels -

which basically renders your complaint completely moot (I.e. the problem you described just doesn't exist in Reaper.)

jens wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:23 pm And anyway: if there really are stereo-plugins which don't allow you to be set to mono
Open any channel strip from plugin alliance in reaper. You'll need to change the reaper pin settings to get a mono process.

As a very basic example: In analog a signal put through two channels and labeled as "stereo" are not identical to each other, and plugins are starting to emulate this. It's better for the user to easily control at what point this discrepancy happens, which traditionally won't be on a monophonic signal, because, er, it's monophonic.

It is merely a design choice to make every channel path stereo. It's not the "correct" or "incorrect" way, it's just "a way". Many plugins detect channels.

The cpu difference between mono and stereo processing can be quite large. It varies from a bit more, to twice as much, depending on the process in question.

At any rate, you can use stereo channels in Luna, or not, and also in some other daws. What's the big drama about that?
Last edited by KVRforumRulez on Thu May 23, 2024 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

nah, bad example - the PA ones are simply stereo and that's it - so if you load them on a mono track in Luna they should use the exact same number of cycles - as I mentioned in my previous post.

KVRforumRulez wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:50 pm At any rate, you can use stereo channels in Luna, or not, and also in some other daws. What's the big drama about that?
You can't record e.g. vocals (or guitar or whatever) in mono on a track and then simply insert (say) a reverb without its output being converted to mono by Luna.
(I would have thought I was pretty clear on that.)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”