DSP563xx Emulator (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought you had a gui?

AnX wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:19 am I thought you had a gui?
For the Virus C yes, now we need to adapt it to the Virus B and also build the framework for the GUI itself from the ground up

numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:04 am
For the Virus C yes, now we need to adapt it to the Virus B and also build the framework for the GUI itself from the ground up
ah OK, thanks

numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:04 am
Rather than rolling your own, you may want to look into something like the JUCE framework. It could then make it easier to port to mobile platforms in the future.

Very excited for this. Last Virus I owned was the B and I did sysex dumps of my patches so I'll be waiting patiently.

Edit: read the FAQ so section below is mostly covered.

As for future performance, would there be some possibility of transforming the emu + rom using some kind of JIT tech to spit out more optimized / performant code? Almost like decompiling / recompiling it to convert it into more native code. I know that is not the goal of the project but that may be an interesting next phase once the main thing is done.
Last edited by bioroid on Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 am Breakthrough: As the Virus C is clocked at 136MHz we decided to swap the ROM over to the Virus B which runs at 108MHz and it seems to work flawlessly

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/2021/07/ ... n-as-vsti/
Did the Virus C cause audio dropouts?

bioroid wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:08 pm Rather than rolling your own, you may want to look into something like the JUCE framework. It could then make it easier to port to mobile platforms in the future.
We are planning on using the bare VST3 SDK, which is really capable and includes a GUI lib already. Especially if DSP code is already covered, I see no reason to use JUCE
bioroid wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:08 pm As for future performance, would there be some possibility of transforming the emu + rom using some kind of JIT tech to spit out more optimized / performant code? Almost like decompiling / recompiling it to convert it into more native code. I know that is not the goal of the project but that may be an interesting next phase once the main thing is done.
This is exactly what we have nearly finished implementing :)

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:10 pm
numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:40 am Breakthrough: As the Virus C is clocked at 136MHz we decided to swap the ROM over to the Virus B which runs at 108MHz and it seems to work flawlessly

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/2021/07/ ... n-as-vsti/
Did the Virus C cause audio dropouts?
Yes, due to the fact it runs at a higher speed than the B, as mentioned in previous posts the JIT/Emulator is getting faster each day

It makes sense for us to release the B first as its pretty much ready to go, then in the mean time spend some time improving the emulator till the C runs flawless also

Thanks. :)

Thank you for all the updates!

I do agree that, while I enjoy the Mystery Islands editor, it would be better to have a free one. Plus, those editors have a lot of extra functionality (like choosing your Midi-In and Midi-Out) that wouldn't be relevant for a soft synth. It would be better to just use it as inspiration.

Do you guys know the speeds which all the other synths run at? I'm curious how many of them might already be working than it might seem.

Also, what's the word on polyphony! is there any possibility for the number of voices on any of the synths to be expanded? or at least used to their fullest potential?

The Novation Supernova rack for example has 20 voices on it's last OS. But the keyboard version had 32 voice and I believe there are cards you can buy with additional voices. Since the ROM thinks they are communicating with the "hardware", I'm curious if there's a way to increase the number of voices to the highest they can go.

Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:08 pm Do you guys know the speeds which all the other synths run at? I'm curious how many of them might already be working than it might seem.
Only whats written on the DSP at this point apart from the Virus B & C, its a long process dissasembling each ROM and working out how it communicates with the DSP, some ROMs have different needs to others and in some cases means adding more features to the Emulator to support these
Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:08 pm Also, what's the word on polyphony! is there any possibility for the number of voices on any of the synths to be expanded? or at least used to their fullest potential?

The Novation Supernova rack for example has 20 voices on it's last OS. But the keyboard version had 32 voice and I believe there are cards you can buy with additional voices. Since the ROM thinks they are communicating with the "hardware", I'm curious if there's a way to increase the number of voices to the highest they can go.
Sorry had to edit my post as im getting mixed up with my synths, the Novation Supanova will probably come as standard without the expansion but this is depending on how much more speed is needed for the expansion, I would have to do some research into it

Edit: Just been informed its around an extra 6 DSPs on the expansion, I cant see this happening to be honest, we are having trouble running the Virus C ROM at that only has 1 DSP, the extra 6 would kill the Emulator

numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:55 pm
Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:08 pm Do you guys know the speeds which all the other synths run at? I'm curious how many of them might already be working than it might seem.
Only whats written on the DSP at this point apart from the Virus B & C, its a long process dissasembling each ROM and working out how it communicates with the DSP, some ROMs have different needs to others and in some cases means adding more features to the Emulator to support these
Shiek927 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:08 pm Also, what's the word on polyphony! is there any possibility for the number of voices on any of the synths to be expanded? or at least used to their fullest potential?

Sorry had to edit my post as im getting mixed up with my synths, the Novation Supanova will probably come as standard without the expansion but this is depending on how much more speed is needed for the expansion, I would have to do some research into it

Edit: Just been informed its around an extra 6 DSPs on the expansion, I cant see this happening to be honest, we are having trouble running the Virus C ROM at that only has 1 DSP, the extra 6 would kill the Emulator
Thank you for explaining! it makes sense that each Emulator for each ROM would be slightly different to accomodate it.

Update: As the Virus runs at a native samplerate of 46875Hz, a resampler has been added to the Emulator which now allows it to match the Host/DAWs samplerate. This is required for a future VST/AU to work properly

This is very nice:
"DSP56300"

Sample-perfect MIDI Timing with a Virus B :

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... -01-24.mp4

numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:08 pm We are planning on using the bare VST3 SDK, which is really capable and includes a GUI lib already. Especially if DSP code is already covered, I see no reason to use JUCE
JUCE can provide solid cross platform compatibility.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”