Most-tolerated Genre?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To be fair, I think even bones himself laughs at the stuff he posts on this forum. Right?

RIGHT?

It’s performative art, no? Warren reminds me a lot of Leigh Bowery. lol.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:53 pm To be fair, I think even bones himself laughs at the stuff he posts on this forum. Right?

RIGHT?

It’s performative art, no? Warren reminds me a lot of Leigh Bowery. lol.
At least as often as everyone pokes that same bear for sport. :/

Stimulus => Response.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yes, but have you ever seen Shania Twain play a gig atop Everest? Beyonce on the slopes of K2?

Even a stopped clock etc..

I'd be more likely to enjoy a tune by Shania. Maybe. Modern 'Soul/R&B' has had its soul sucked right out of it.
I blame Celine and Whitney, personally, but at least they could sing.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Irony is, sadly, dead.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

just smells funny.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Speaking of litmus tests... have you all heard that (some significant number of) black women like to ask their dates what they think about Beyonce? It gives them some idea of how the date feels about strong black women in general.

Just sayin'.

I thought it was a question about musical taste. That is a red-herring. I've known a few 'strong, Black' women in music, and they'd laugh at the question.
Personally, I think only artists who write and perform their own music should be eligible for the more prestigious Grammys. That would leave her and everyone else who has their songs written and produced by committee to reconsider whether they actually have talent beyond image and autotune.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Show you have no idea about auto tune without etc

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 pm Personally, I think only artists who write and perform their own music should be eligible for the more prestigious Grammys. That would leave her and everyone else who has their songs written and produced by committee to reconsider whether they actually have talent beyond image and autotune.
Or! Or--hear me out--f**k the grammies and f**k popularity contests run by f**king industry executives.

Just a thought!

Well, yes, there is that.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

revvy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm Show you have no idea about auto tune without etc
I know it or melodyne are ubiquitous in the music industry of today. They're studio time savers at best, and crutches at worst.

FTR, I have Melodyne. I use it mostly on my bass guitar, and to occasionally touch up my vocals. My wife, an actual trained singer, has no need for it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

No but I definitely knew for a fact that Country & Western and Jazz were definitely NOT for me. But music was a lot less diversified back then. What did we have in the 1960s and 1970s? Rock'n'Roll, Pop, Disco and that was about it for mainstream music outlets (radio/TV).
No, music has always been diverse, I (we?) was just not able to hear most types because they didn't play it on the radio and that was my only source to hear music as a kid. Growing up there really was just 'radio music' and I was not very interested in hearing most of it, genres only exist for me now because of the Internet and access to everyone's music.
It is probably impossible to express the change to you kids who grew up with access to the Internet.
I don't miss the old days, but I still feel we've lost something in our obsession with categorizing everything.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm
revvy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:58 pm Show you have no idea about auto tune without etc
I know it or melodyne are ubiquitous in the music industry of today. They're studio time savers at best, and crutches at worst.

FTR, I have Melodyne. I use it mostly on my bass guitar, and to occasionally touch up my vocals. My wife, an actual trained singer, has no need for it.
It's just a useful tool like any other - some will use it more obviously, most of the time you won't even notice it's been applied.

Pitch correction does rather seem to have come to occupy the 'bogeyman' status for the musically conservative (small 'c'!), in a rather similar same way Ms Swift has for the politically conservative.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”