One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

-- deleted --
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Depth always is a relative thing, requiring reference points / contrasts. There are of course some physical rules, like less transients, more washed out and also more stereo diffused on the back (depends on the kind of space you want to emulate). But there are mixes which use wide spread in front and almost mono for back elements, and it works. Also there are mixes using almost mono in the front, and wide spread on the back. Also works. There are different approaches for simulating depth, but it always is a thing of relation of the extremes.

here comes a preview or what you want to call it .... i really don't know if i should go one like this "elevator-music" or should i make an ambient track with pads and noise and cats .... ?

https://soundcloud.com/marks-a-whybikky ... or-osc-105

A disaster in progress. No real melodies yet, not sure where it's gonna go, and need to work more on getting the bass focused (probably too many bass synths happening). Attempt at a cowbell dedicated to BJPorter. Feedback on what to work on welcome!

All patches from default.

Mike

preview link deleted :)
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Hanz Meyzer wrote:Depth always is a relative thing, requiring reference points / contrasts. There are of course some physical rules, like less transients, more washed out and also more stereo diffused on the back (depends on the kind of space you want to emulate). But there are mixes which use wide spread in front and almost mono for back elements, and it works. Also there are mixes using almost mono in the front, and wide spread on the back. Also works. There are different approaches for simulating depth, but it always is a thing of relation of the extremes.
Sure completely right. The thing I call "Ultra Depth" - it's the name I've discovered somewhere on the internet - it's just a simulation of early reflections and I would also compare it to the parallel compression trick. It's mixed kind of subtley to the mix in a way, that you don't notice it kicking in, but as soon as you switch it off you can figure out something is missing.
We were talking about composition techniques and build ups. Sometimes I use a "set to narrow break" which then cumulates in a rise with finally ends in a "set to big width" part.
If you want, listen to https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/sele ... er-ego-wip and what happens around 30 seconds. That's a freakin' cool effect...

hmmm... all these previews reminds me of being a wee lad, when the older girls would say "I'll show you mine, if you show me yours"..
(tragedy of my life.. surrounded by older naughty girls.. I guess we all have a burden to carry in life )
So I will show mine so far...
This is a SINGLE instance of Thorn.. just 1 preset that I might use in the OSC105..
yup even the odd drum come from this patch.

https://soundcloud.com/toonertik/osc105 ... aralexpmnt

Poor BJ, having to scour the thread for actual submissions, haha! :shock: :hihi:
It's a pretty exciting thread, though... :)

] Peter:H [ wrote: Speech Samples: Created with Balabolka, Preprocessed with Wavosaur, Imported manually slot by slot into an Thorn-Osc, then postprocessed with RM and filters and stuff where needed.
Sorry man, but this thing is not allowed.
bjporter wrote:
*Lastly, do not use/load any custom samples* :tu:

No, vitalker, that was in specific regards to the NOISE sample section. It was not about the oscillator cells.
Peter is absolutely fine!

Those are not "samples", but spectral fragments, derived from waveforms. Seems like it's splitting hairs, but it is not.

Yes Taron...
Using them in the sound_Generators/OSC is a very different thing compared to loading into what is effectively just a sample playback device.

@vitalker.. I do see your point but you must understand the difference between loading into the player and getting sound sources into the Sound_Generator. For example try this... load one of your samples into an OSC cell... hmmm bet it doesn't sound like the sample you know.. This is the difference.. it is the same with the last OSC_104 with Zebralette>> we could load our custom single_cycle (converted to Zebra format) into Zebralette!

Taron wrote:Poor BJ, having to scour the thread for actual submissions, haha! :shock: :hihi:
It's a pretty exciting thread, though... :)
Haha, yes it is! I'll probably go through and delete any previews I've thrown up when I actually submit just to make it easier on BJ...

It's nice hearing what others are experimenting with. It's a very cool synth.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

maybe a submissions thread? with no chat :P

I know a lot of people use EQs, compressors and mastering effects in this challenge, but I'm endeavouring to use 100% Thorn.
Is that a bad move if my tracks will be A/B`ed with tracks that have been compressed and limited etc...?

I just think that's the challenge essentially, to use the synth! Not so much the "i'm such a good songwriter" aspect.
Is that far from the thought of everyone else? I personally think with Thorn you shouldn't really need any other effects.

anyway, this is my first challenge in almost 17 years of coming to KVR... however long the challenge has been going for i can't remember... I just happened to by Thorn a week or two before this was announced, and started writing ides with only Thorn... so yeah
Here's hoping I can win back Diva!
I sold it to buy Thorn :scared:

Well, this is the synth to go for it, sqigls! :tu:
I wouldn't want to have to argue about what limitations should be imposed, but I'm glad we are allowed to use side-chain compression, EQ, master limiters, bus effects like delay and reverb, which can be treated to take certain positions in the mix, mid-side balance/EQ, creating a proper stage to allow the synth to really shine in an ensemble of its siblings and all that jazz.
The idea is to show how great a synth can work as only source of sound for a proper song. The major limitations are to ensure that the synth still remains the key sound source and won't be tweaked to the point where it could've been anything or it becomes but a stimulator for some elaborate treatment. This is the point I wouldn't want to have to argue about, because I very often love to use Boogex, for example, which is a rather heavy distortion, never mind the cabinet impulse, though this doesn't have to violate the core idea. Haven't used it in the last one, though, because I really wanted to try a more purist approach.

Above all, enjoy participating and care with pleasure about your track and what you would like to demonstrate or present! I'm sure, if it does sound great, people may very well consider to regard your effort not to use anything but the synth! :shrug:

sqigls wrote: I know a lot of people use EQs, compressors and mastering effects in this challenge, but I'm endeavouring to use 100% Thorn.
Is that a bad move if my tracks will be A/B`ed with tracks that have been compressed and limited etc...?
"A lot" I think is an understatement .. I think you would be hard pressed to find more than a handful of top 10 tracks in the history of OSC that did not use at least something on the master track. I would probably have to say that it would not help .. I always look at it as a chance to practice my ear and mastering technique.

So far I have not used any FX in the mix, but I haven't gotten to the drum sounds yet ;)
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Love love loving this synth !!

Return to “Instruments”