IK and Gavin Lurssen set to unveil revolutionary mastering product at NAMM 2016

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking forward to hear the demo, what character it will bring to my mixes. This will define my interest.

Hope I'm wrong but it looks like another cookie cutter plugin for cookie cutter music.

I was expecting this to be called "iMaster". I prefer the 2007 fad naming convention.

L

Breval wrote:Hope I'm wrong but it looks like another cookie cutter plugin for cookie cutter music.
Like any product, yes there are presets. The way Lurssen Mastering Console works, what's managed with these different style settings is the signal chain's gain staging and interaction between the modeled units as well as Gavin's unique "control panel" used to tweak and "push" while mastering. The iPad app is free with available IAP at https://itunes.apple.com/app/lurssen-ma ... 1059837456 to try and the Mac/PC version is available for preorder at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/lurssen/

h2ogun99 wrote:I was expecting this to be called "iMaster". I prefer the 2007 fad naming convention.

L
They saved that their new monitors

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

I wonder if these can compete with Genelec 8010A.

loungepanda wrote:
h2ogun99 wrote:I was expecting this to be called "iMaster". I prefer the 2007 fad naming convention.

L

You do? I'm an IK fan in other respects, but I don't. They're a bit cheaper though. And I am talking out my internetz, haven't heard either one.

do_androids_dream wrote:
Jax Pok wrote:I bet it's a plugin that does everything a sound going through a console does.
I'm guessing it's something like Ozone in terms of functionality with the analog signal path of the engineer's set up.
Well I was part right :D

I'm actually a fan of restrictive set-ups so if every part of this chain sounds amazing and is totally fit for purpose then it could indeed be a nice little 'environment' for mastering. Of course, you still have to know what you're doing.. :P
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

loungepanda wrote:

L

Those actually look useful, as a pair of test monitors 8)

do_androids_dream wrote:Of course, you still have to know what you're doing.. :P
Ummmmm, not really ;) :P

Sampleconstruct wrote:The global leader, technological leadership, industry-leading innovative products, woaaa, got anything a bit smaller maybe?
Nope only overly inflated things :hyper:
Last edited by david.beholder on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

Despite the normal hyperbole negative answers, I think it's cool.

infrated?
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

These monitors have potential to be useful. Space is an issue for a crowded mixing desk and for a portable recording/mixing session. If they sound reasonable and are flat enough for mixing I'll be picking up a pair for a set of B speakers that actually fit on my desk along side my Adam a7X. They will get some use when I travel as well. I like the blue tooth functionality. Pretty smart if it performs as advertised.

loungepanda wrote:

L

TheoM wrote:And to be quite frank.. if someone who KNEW what they were doing were to buy this over ozone 7 which can do SO much, well, they would surprise me to say the least.
I'll be very bold now and play a bit into the hands of IK Multimedia's Marketing. Just to show how ridiculous this "game" has become IMO for all people that read along. (Devil's Advocate moment?!)

Ozone (and similar suites) are considered "digital tools", therefore they are cold and lifeless and don't add to the much desired "fairy dust" to a production. You should ideally not(!) use these tools, else your editing work sucks.

The Lurssen "Mastering Processor" is aimed to simulate the working and behavior of an analog console. A specific one even, tuned for "specific needs" (Genres). Meaning: a ton of mojo (buzzword for non-linearities, noise, saturation, broad editing rather than fine-tuning), limited routing (therefore limited to the "essentials"), not an all-purpose solution - but definitely "soft clipping" to get sh*t as loud as it possibly can (the loss of the Loudness War is still being ignored!).

And since it's in software form, it has been drastically simplified for easier call and response. Now slam on a GUI design that looks like old and overused, builky, black "tube like" hardware (even though the modules are clearly stated as being "solid state", cleaner than tube!) - throw in a couple of buzzwords like "revolutionary", "sought after vintage/analog sound" and throw a name from a Grammy Award winner that has an interesting mastering environment - and you have an instant winner in terms of sales.

All I miss now, is the mandatory need of a DSP card. Whoops...!

And this is what is annoying me the most.

On top of the focus of "iOS" (iPad) as mastering platform (one comment: cool... ¬_¬ - I always wanted to do mastering work on an iPad).

Though I still have a feeling that this will be the backbone for T-Racks 5 (taking it's place instead of the CALREC console modules, aka: "T-Racks Classic"). The Dinosaur logo implies that. Yet it hasn't been announced as official "modules" yet. We just have to wait and see I guess (see the Amplitube history).

Else... I'm not liking the route that IKM is going with the "T-Racks modules" as of late. While we're at it, let us just ignore that the prices gradually rose for the "modules" (have a specific brand name, ask for higher prices). And they're not the only company doing similar either.

I'm really, really skeptic about this. But then again, I blame this on the curse of being an Audio Engineer (I just look a little too close too often).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

btw Peter, the IK pre order thing, where we pay 200 euros (to save a significant 100 euros) by buying before release, is really unfair.. honestly it just is. Cause there is no way we can try it and then we can't sell it.

If you are going to do an intro price please do it whilst people can try the plugin and see if it's of any use to them.

Return to “Effects”