KILLER SYNTHS! [Finally]

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Interesting! Would you like to be specific about that
I used this technique in the RGB and Multiplex synths.. I've sent you a diag by email

Bones,

Your synths sound very good. I just browsed through the presets and tried some loops and they immediatly produced big phat sounds :harp: .

I forgive you :wink: for all the rude things you said about Z3ta+

Can you explain why some synthedit made instruments sound very good, like yours, and others (the majority) very lean. The filters are all "off the shelf" programs provided by Jeff so where does the difference come from ?

Regards

PA
Check PA music here
http://pa.music.free.fr

basically each synthedit filter is [if i remember right] on either 6db/oct or 12db/oct ... it all depends how you wire em up PA :wink: ...

just out of interest ... you tried mine :?: ... GRunT in particular should NOT sound thin ... all its filters are cascaded to some extent ...

... genuinely interested in your opinion ...

... cheers :? rob

Is there such a thing as 'Filter Envy'.. You know, a, "mine is Phatter than yours", type of thing :oops: :D :shock:

not that id thought about it ian :oops: ... but you might JUST be right :shock:

... cheers :? rob

Now, I'm just an old fogey so I wouldn't know what phat was if it bit me in the arse... but this is a silly synth which has filters which sound a little different to the normal synthedit ones n'est pas?
ATB

http://www.ianweb.dial.pipex.com/PhatChap.zip
Last edited by ianweb123 on Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exper and Ian,

Just dowloaded your babies, feedback tomorrow.

Cheers

PA
Check PA music here

Experiment,

Grunt sounds very good. I did not have too much time to explore it fully, I feel there are other synths out there with similar capabilities but I like it . I like the knobs also. The only thing is the back panel not too much my tastes but who cares.

Ian,

I tried PhatChap, sorry but I find it hard to use. I have been able to produce very crunchy bass sounds which is I suppose what it should do but too crunchy for me.
The overall graphical layout and blinking eyes are unique though. The only "animated" VST GUI that I know other than Delay Lama of course.

Regards

PA
Check PA music here

VitaminD wrote:why did you include only a lowpass filter?

is this the SV lowpass or the Biquad ("moog") LP ?
It is the BiQuad filter and I only included it because low-pass filters are all I ever use. I thought about cascading two filters but didn't get around to it.
..why did you make these if you arent going to use them? ..i thought that was the whole point of making synths ??? :)

It was just something to try, an intellectual challenge. By the time I was 3/4 finished I had totally lost interest and it took me a while to get around to finishing either of them. The only reason I resurrected the thread was because Reg discovered them by accident so I figured that maybe a few people had missed the thread as it sank so quickly.

If SOULkILLER's filter sounded better I would probably use it because I really like Jeff's oscillators and I set up the modultaion system to suit the way I like to work. MINDkILLER gets some use because it makes the sort of noises that I use and its easy. If I ever get the urge to do some more SE work I would probably expand on SOULkILLER to make it more to my liking.

BTW Bajongo, the're called KILLER SYNTHS because the're made by NOVAkILL and because I like to kill things.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Well, I hope you're all happy now! You shamed me into doing some more work on SOULkILLER last night. It now has a sub-oscillator and I've cascaded two Moog filters. The filters now sound heaps better but CPU usage has tripled. I may cut the polyphony back to compensate as CPU usage of SE synths seems to be a big concern to a lot of users.

As soon as I've re-done the patches I will upload it as SOULkILLERrevison1 so that there will be no backwards compatibility issues [probably tomorrow or Thursday].
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The new version ofSOULkILLER is up. I haven't made any new presets for it except for the first one but I think that will give you some idea of how much better it sounds now.

This is becoming a bit of a monlogue. Don't get too excited about the new SOULkILLER just yet. I have been doing a little more work on it and I've managed to reduce the CPU strain and I've added a METALLIC slider which uses a fixed sine wave as an FM source on OSC 1 & 2. I've made some new presets and I will upload it later tonight.

BONES, I used MINDkILLER in my latest track :)

go check it out and be proud :)

http://www.sectionz.com/detail.asp?rtype=mp3&szid=4868

Hey, keep talking to yourself, we're listening. :-> Let us know when you post the latest.

BONES, its great youve added a subosc ;-)

But, with the new filter, theres the same problem i already noticed with MVX synth (mvx2 i guess) : when resonance is 100%, if you open the cutoff a bit too much, there is internal overloading and it cuts audio...

Return to “Modular Synthesis”