Vocaloid 4 looks to be available soon on the official english website

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
It's going to take a while again before people get rid of that implication Vocaloid is strictly an anime thing. I can't blame most people tho, the bigger part of the market is probably there.
even if the first vocal libraries had nothing to do with anime and are actually from UK

Anyway, I'm really lost here with Yamaha still not selling V4 in the US. What is even going on. (http://bit.ly/1HYYmTZ)(links to another forum post that inquires about V4)
on my quest to collect all the english vocaloids! :D
current roster: LEON, LOLA, Prima, SONiKA, Tonio :phones:

Chorvaqueen wrote:It's going to take a while again before people get rid of that implication Vocaloid is strictly an anime thing. I can't blame most people tho, the bigger part of the market is probably there.
even if the first vocal libraries had nothing to do with anime and are actually from UK

Anyway, I'm really lost here with Yamaha still not selling V4 in the US. What is even going on.(links to another forum post that inquires about V4)
The reason people say that is because that's what it sounds like. I listen to a lot of anime (yes, I love the genre) as well as chiptune stuff and believe me, these vocals are anime through and through. They're somewhere between computer and human. In fact, I'd say they're pretty much at the 50 yard line.

And again, this is not necessarily a bad thing. But I don't picture using these things for singing "Midnight Train To Georgia" by Gladys and the Pips. The voices just don't have that kind of human emotion and quality. They are essentially thin and airy. And that's fine for what they're good for.

Thanks for your feedback. The vocals are OK on my headphones but I've only got PC speakers to mix on. It was only an experiment anyway.

LoopyFruit wrote:Hi Hans

have you heard YOHIOloid?

Good luck. :D
Sorry I didn't respond any sooner. I have been very busy lately. Thanks for the videosI can see what you mean. The Yohioloid and the other Powerfx vocaloids actually sounds ok with clear pronouncement. It seems like Powerfx/Vocatone and Zero-G are the only ones making decent english Vocaloids. Yamahas own Vocaloids and Crypton's seems to have unclear pronouncement and sound too japanese at least for my taste.

Hopefully we will see some good Vocaloid 4 libraries from Zero-G and powerfx soon.

wagtunes wrote:If I'm writing a pop song for a female artist and I can't find a singer (and I certainly don't want to sing it myself) I might consider using this for a demo to present to a publisher or whoever. I would never use it as a finished product unless I'm doing Japanese anime.
I was thinking the same thing. For demos/presentations Vocaloids can be useful. Then you can allways get a good singer afterwards to record the final track ;-).
wagtunes wrote: And again, this is not necessarily a bad thing. But I don't picture using these things for singing "Midnight Train To Georgia" by Gladys and the Pips. The voices just don't have that kind of human emotion and quality. They are essentially thin and airy. And that's fine for what they're good for.
+1 for that.

Chorvaqueen wrote:It's going to take a while again before people get rid of that implication Vocaloid is strictly an anime thing. I can't blame most people tho, the bigger part of the market is probably there.

Anyway, I'm really lost here with Yamaha still not selling V4 in the US. What is even going on.(links to another forum post that inquires about V4)
I don't understand what you mean. You can order and download Vocaloid 4 Editor and Cyberdiva at the english Vocaloid store. Then only thing you can't download right now is the Cubase editor edition.

http://en.vocaloidstore.com/

Hi Gang

Has anyone tried VocaListener :?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ955Zfq98

It's hard to understand the vid, but it looks interesting. :)

(Edit) a bit more info :ud: https://staff.aist.go.jp/t.nakano/VocaListener/

So will we be able to use these 3rd party Vocaloids (like Priapro Studio, ZeroG and PowerFX) in the Vocaloid 4 Cubase editor?

Good question, there is a demo for Vocaloid3 for Cubase here http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search (it lasts 14 days).

I've not found one for version 4 but it may give you an idea.

stikygum wrote:So will we be able to use these 3rd party Vocaloids (like Priapro Studio, ZeroG and PowerFX) in the Vocaloid 4 Cubase editor?
Yes. There is no difference except that it's integrated in Cubase. A vocaloid is a vocaloid.

LoopyFruit wrote:Hi Gang

It's hard to understand the vid, but it looks interesting. :)

(Edit) a bit more info :ud: https://staff.aist.go.jp/t.nakano/VocaListener/
Didn't they stop developing it?

Well, I've been spending the last couple of days listening to tons of Vocaloid tunes on YouTube, mostly from the new Cyber Diva which is supposed to be the "best" English singer.

I'm really on the fence. Some of the songs I've heard were very well done but some of them were God awful. Totally unintelligible. Vocal quality bordering chipmunk level.

Naturally this has me wondering just how difficult it is to get this thing to sound "good". Did it take these people weeks and weeks of work to put together a decent sounding vocal for a 3 minute song? What am I setting myself up for? Will I become so frustrated from a clunky interface or customization that is painfully slow to implement for each note?

If I could sing, I wouldn't even be considering this software. Of course then there would still be the problem of songs I write for female singers. Even I couldn't pull them off.

In the meantime, the English site for Diva says coming in 2015 so it's not available here yet as far as I can tell. I am very interested in the Cubase editor. At least that will make things a little easier.

I guess this software is really no different from a synth. The same synth can sound good or bad depending on who is using it. Question is, how hard is it to make this thing sound good?

I guess I'm going to find out eventually.

wagtunes wrote:Question is, how hard is it to make this thing sound good?
In the Vocaloid forum I read that the authors of the demosongs for Cyber Diva (CircusP or whatever his artist name is) was ordered by Yamaha to use only 5 days to put the 4-5 demosongs together. As far as I remember they didn't process Cyberdiva much extra. I don't know if they used Melodyne to make the pronouncement better. It sounded like they did that.

For my own experience I would say that I'm a bit disappointed. If you didn't have the lyrics on top of the youtube videos, it would be very hard to hear what was actually being sung. Furthermore I have had some tuning problems in Cubase with Cyberdiva. She seems to be out of tune or maybe Cubase 8 in combination with Cyber Diva has a bug or something.

Also I think they could have hired a better singer and not one sounding so "flat". The only english Vocaloids that have just a bit of realism are powerfx-vocaloids in my opinion. They have a demo of an upcoming voice for Vocaloid 4 with a much more realistic sound than Cyber Diva.

And Cyber Diva IS available for download at the english webshop: http://en.vocaloidstore.com/
Also Vocaloid 4. But you can't download Vocaloid 4 for Cubase. As I wrote in a post in this thread I have the Cubase version that I ordered on ebay from a seller located in Japan. All the information is above.

I haven't spend much time working with Cyber Diva, so it would be unfair to judge it only on my first impression of working with the library on my own. But as stated above this is my first impression. But you could use Cyber Diva as a way to put a demo together for a real singer that can then redo the singing part of the track.

Hans25 wrote:
In the Vocaloid forum I read that the authors of the demosongs for Cyber Diva (CircusP or whatever his artist name is) was ordered by Yamaha to use only 5 days to put the 4-5 demosongs together. As far as I remember they didn't process Cyberdiva much extra. I don't know if they used Melodyne to make the pronouncement better. It sounded like they did that.

For my own experience I would say that I'm a bit disappointed. If you didn't have the lyrics on top of the youtube videos, it would be very hard to hear what was actually being sung. Furthermore I have had some tuning problems in Cubase with Cyberdiva. She seems to be out of tune or maybe Cubase 8 in combination with Cyber Diva has a bug or something.

Also I think they could have hired a better singer and not one sounding so "flat". The only english Vocaloids that have just a bit of realism are powerfx-vocaloids in my opinion. They have a demo of an upcoming voice for Vocaloid 4 with a much more realistic sound than Cyber Diva.

And Cyber Diva IS available for download at the english webshop: http://en.vocaloidstore.com/
Also Vocaloid 4. But you can't download Vocaloid 4 for Cubase. As I wrote in a post in this thread I have the Cubase version that I ordered on ebay from a seller located in Japan. All the information is above.

I haven't spend much time working with Cyber Diva, so it would be unfair to judge it only on my first impression of working with the library on my own. But as stated above this is my first impression. But you could use Cyber Diva as a way to put a demo together for a real singer that can then redo the singing part of the track.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement, which is pretty much what I expected.

I wonder how many more years it will be before this technology is really good enough to put together a track that makes it virtually indistinguishable from a real singer, at least for certain genres of music.

From what I'm hearing, we're not even close to being there yet.

If that's even possible.

Hans25 wrote:

Hi, I'm Crusher-P! I worked with CircusP on the Cyber Diva Demos.

We were asked in kind of an emergency and only had 4 days to write and write and produce 3 demo songs with Cyber Diva. We worked very hard and made Athena, Run Away and Thunderstorm. Utata-P did the other two (Draw A Melody and You Will See) Since these are only demonstrations of her voice, CircusP and I put emphasis on trying to display the tone, power and range of the voice- so there is minimal tuning and no use of Melodyne whatsoever. There wouldn't have been time for that anyway unless we wanted to start crying and sleep less. :cry:

The big hype around Cyber Diva is that she was made after a new English recording list had been constructed, so it was exciting considering it hadn't been updated in God knows how long. Since I've been into vocaloid since 2007, my ears are trained to the vocaloid tone and I don't have much of a problem understanding Cyber Diva. However, I think her clarity and sharp consonants are fantastic but come at the expense of having a lack of fluidity. If you get a chance to use Cyber Diva, I wish you luck! She's fairly easy to work with and I like using her because of her bold tone and clarity! :party:
Avid user of Vocaloid, UTAU, Chipspeech, ETC :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Return to “Instruments”