VST for Hard German Bass?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xanda123 wrote:I know you probably think this is ok but I really don't like this its sounds to processed. I know your all giving good imput but it has to be exactly the right sound or it doesn't sound right.
but I AM German :) What do you say now?

Seriously, I only outlined how a sound can be built. To realize your exact idea you have to work with the tools yourself. I strongly believe this is mostly about know-how... There is no such thing as a "VSTi for hard German bass" :P

kybernaut
Last edited by kybernaut on Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okay you crazy lot. Here are some examples with freebie synths like Linplug Freealpha, rgc Triangle II, and Synth 1. Not really that close but waay closer than any examples I've heard here. It's really fairly simple to achieve sounds like theese. Only the FreeAlpha one was distorted using external distortion (MDA Combo).

It's just about one oscilator (or two without unison) some simple filtering, legato playing and distortion.

The synth-1 example gives a shot at sample2. But really it's a distorted tuned 808 bass drop, as in Dilinja style DandB tracks.

You can check out all three examples here:
http://www.geocities.com/suredumpyourjunk

edit: I actually pretty much hate hardcore/gabba/hardhouse/hardtrance and all that jazz. But it was funny to give it a shot. I allready see they either put a bit of delay or reverb on both the kick and especially the bass to make it bigger. But I went to produce the dry sound behind it, no EQing or anything just plain synth patch and generic drums. Besides it's not THAT much fun to keep doing it for more than 5 minutes really.
Last edited by peejunk on Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xanda123 wrote:
gunark wrote:I'm doing a similar track at the mo using Trilogy and the grouped bassline and bassdrum + compression trick. By comping the bass and bd just right you get the sucking sound going and the whomp of the bass comes thru when the bd drops out. So in my experience it's more down to the compression than the synth (I've done similar in Reason with a subtractor too which isn't so heavy as Trilogy).
I've never tried this I always compressed them seperatly, I'm gonna try this to thanks for the tip.
Ok, well here's a slice of audio demonstrating (this was done in Reason with Dr Rex providing a loop and Subtractor both into 1 mixer with a compressor on the outs of that mixer). Not as good an example of the one I'm working on now but a good example none the less.

Pumping Bass Example

I can't inderstand how you people can say its easy when none of you have come close. I can get relativly near the sound and get I closer all the time but It's far from easy.

I can't inderstand how you people can say its easy when none of you have come close. I can get relativly near the sound and I closer all the time but It's far from easy.

It's either that we don't have ears to recognise what it is that makes that sound what it is that you want, or that you 're trying too hard to get an EXACT copy of a sound that has been dipped in fair bit of reverb, compressed, EQd, mastered and shit with just a synth patch.

I'd put my money on the other answer.

No synth is gonna make that sound right out of the box, there's a lot of processing that goes into it not to mention copying how it's played and arranged (which is also very important). If you isolated the sound from the drums it wouldn't sound like much - it's the total production that gives the feel and impact.
David Wallin - White Noise Audio Software
http://www.bleepboxapp.com/
(groove box for iPhone)

http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/
(VST plugins)

xanda123 wrote:I can't inderstand how you people can say its easy when none of you have come close. I can get relativly near the sound and I closer all the time but It's far from easy.
Xanda, give it a few years and u will be able to get the sound u want on your own. If u cant re-engineer sounds like these, u really shouldnt be makin choons in the first place. Like I said, go practice for a few years till u get your sound engineering straight. No point looking for a "hard german bass" vsti here.

I think layering is important to get those Signum style hard trance bass sounds. I listen to this Dumonde track before which had a very hard trance style bass line, but during the breakdown it was obvious that the upper sound had been removed. Anyway, the bottom sound I think uses filter env with a fair level or res and low cutoff. With some playing you can find a point where you get this really deep kind of rhythmic swelling that works great for this music. Then on top, layer a tighter more cutting bass sound. Use a harsh distortion if necessary to make it nice and brutal. Also, compress the upper sound for extra tighness. Get some delay on the scenerio and you're in business.

Also, remember that the bass instruments sound the way they do as part of their interaction with the kick drum. Make sure you use the right type of kick if you want to achieve the desired bass sounds :wink:

Yo Kompulsor, that bassline you want is a "Hardstyle" bassline. I make these basslines by using the Synth1 VSTi or by reversing hardcore kicks. If you want to get a really good hardstyle bassline, just try reversing hardcore kicks and cutting off the "kick" part of the kick. :wink: Then of course try adding some distortion. But Synth1 Works wonders also when doing these hard basses. It's probably my favorite synth. I do all my synthesized hardcore kicks and scratchy hardstyle/hardcore synths with it. 8)

BASSDRIVE wrote:Yo Kompulsor, that bassline you want is a "Hardstyle" bassline. I make these basslines by using the Synth1 VSTi or by reversing hardcore kicks. If you want to get a really good hardstyle bassline, just try reversing hardcore kicks and cutting off the "kick" part of the kick. :wink: Then of course try adding some distortion. But Synth1 Works wonders also when doing these hard basses. It's probably my favorite synth. I do all my synthesized hardcore kicks and scratchy hardstyle/hardcore synths with it. 8)
I was going to say that it sounded reversed earlier, but since I am not an expert on sound design, I thought I'd wait and see if anyone else did.

xanda123 wrote:I can't inderstand how you people can say its easy when none of you have come close. I can get relativly near the sound and I closer all the time but It's far from easy.
Well, Could sit down and make a few patches in impOSCar for you, or for that matter another dozen free synths available here, but then I'd pull them into Sequoia (or similar) and layer the sound with some percussive thuds, then use some t-stretch, distortion FX, etc., and MAYBE get close to what you are hearing through your own particular monitors. I think I understand what you're after (I think).

But after reading all the great suggestions in here, it is my advice that you gather up all the demos and try programming something yourself. Almost every product mentioned has a demo available to try for free. It's the best way to learn. 8)

Kompulsor wrote:That's exactly what I need. By the way, this sound is not a 303 as far as I can tell. 303 is "acidic barks" I think, this is more like a saw (sorry if I'm wrong).
Hmmm, for sample 1, I think you are wrong about it not being a 303. I *think* it's a 303 saw that's been sampled, reversed and compressed to death so that it is being clipped into a square.

So what you want to do is get a 303 emu of some sort (just get the demo of one of: audiorealism's bassline, tau2 or even rebirth). For the sound you want: saw, low to medium res, and med to high decay. Decay is critical as this this is what will give it that loping attack when you reverse it. Experiment with accent but I think you should probably avoid accent as this is what makes the 303 bark and this sample is not barking, as you point out. You will also have to experiment with the Env control but I think it's probably around medium to medium high (the opening of the envelope is giving it that slightly pitch shifted feel).

When you have a cool sounding wave, bounce it down to audio and reverse it. You will need to experiment with distortion plugs as the distortion you use will be very important to the end result. The only tip I can give you here is that the distortion type is much more of a drive than a fuzz. Check out quadrafuzz, predatohm and tridirt for distortion.

Two other points - this sample has subtle (i.e. low feedback) but influential 1/4 note delay on it. The delays both reinforce and alter the sound of the offbeat note. Finally, the position of the bass wave relative to that of the kick drum will be critical too - too far from the kick and it slows the whole tune down, too close and you loose that feeling of pumping. This pumping is further enhanced by the fact that the kick and the bassline are being compressed together which further enhances this sucking/pumping effect. To get a compressor to pump you need to set a shortish attack and release and a fairly low threshhold / high ratio...

Kompulsor wrote:What VSTs allow you to easily create hard German basses, like in the following samples:

http://www.kompulsor.com/test/sample1.mp3
http://www.kompulsor.com/test/sample2.mp3

Note that in Sample 1 it's slightly twisted, but both of these have "rich" and heavy offbeat bass.
Yo yo,

sample2 is sample from a Producer Team called Virus Inc. Once (I think 2 years ago) one of the guys had a website where you could download a sample set with this offbeat. Culture Beat used that in one of their commercial tracks. Even I used it ;) I think I still got it somewhere. I can mail you the samples set next weekend when I am home...provided I find it on my HD ;)

If you don't want to have exactly the same offbeat I can only suggest to take Monologue. This is my *ultimate weapon* for offbeats ;) Just apply some LFO to the oscillators...et voila :D

Bye
Hanzen

hlmst quoth If u cant re-engineer sounds like these, u really shouldnt be makin choons in the first place.

Congrats for the stupidest fuckin' post Ive seen in a while.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Instruments”