One Synth Challenge #96: Nabla by Full Bucket (Voting Over)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nabla

Yeah, isn't that a funny topic with the knobmodes?! I'm always a little torn on it, because the radial approach has some fantastic advantages when it comes to fine tuning. It's just that most people are not quite used to it, even if it's the oldest thing in the book.
I decided to give up and default my stuff to linear, but in my heart I kinda feel like you do, Björn. ;)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a Linear Mode Man. :hihi:
But many folks asked, so I made it configurable...

Cheers Björn

8 instances with effects and just 40% cpu used? Hmhmhm... That looks promising! Building the drums was easier than in Synth1, really don't know why, cos' I don't know Nabla... lol

Full Bucket wrote:Maybe this switch in the nabla.ini helps:

Code: Select all

[Editor]
UseLinearKnobMode = true
Cheers Björn
I'll try. ;)

First of all I changed this one and it seems to work:

[Editor]
MakeGreatSongForOneSynthChallenge = true

got something cool out of it by toying around, will continue experimenting :borg:
going to step back a little and look at the manual, and also check out the hidden parameters

from the manual under 'From Joystick To Wheels' it explains that "The original Delta features a joystick for modulation purposes", is there a modwheel parameter I can automate to make use of these "Joywheels" without using a midi keyboard?

Full Bucket wrote:Maybe this switch in the nabla.ini helps:

[Editor]
UseLinearKnobMode = true
Cheers Björn
Was the first thing I did :hyper: :tu: after installing the synth and shouting "what the F*ck is wrong with these knobs" and reading the manual :lol:

phace wrote:from the manual under 'From Joystick To Wheels' it explains that "The original Delta features a joystick for modulation purposes", is there a modwheel parameter I can automate to make use of these "Joywheels" without using a midi keyboard?
It probably depends on your DAW.

Putting this here so I can see it and reference to it in the post
The original Delta features a joystick for modulation purposes: The horizontal axis
directly controls pitch and/or VCF cutoff frequency while the vertical axis controls the
amount of modulation of the LFO (when pushing the joystick “up”) or the Noise (when
pulling the joystick “down”).
However, joysticks are pretty out of fashion theses days (which is a pity) and modern
controllers almost all have the classic Pitch and Modulation wheels instead. Thus, for
the Nabla I decided to map the horizontal joystick axis to the Pitch wheel and the
vertical axis to the Modulation wheel. Unfortunately, you now have to select what
modulation source (LFO or Noise) is controlled by the Modulation wheel; this is what
the Wheel switch is for.
This is just my interpretation of how I understand your question and the manual,my understanding of both could easily be wrong.

Anyway the original horizontal axis that did pitch and/or filter cutoff is now on the pitchwheel.
In Reaper I have two options.
I could use ReaControlMidi before Nabla to get a pitchwheel automation lane to either draw the automation or attach an LFO to. This option would be closest to simulating having an actual pitchwheel. And one can move the slider in ReaControlMidi as a pretend pitchwheel, though it is horizontal instead of vertical like the real physical pitchwheel.
Or I could just open automation lanes for tone (which is the closest thing I could find to pitch) and an automation lane for the filter cutoff and either draw or attach a LFO to those. This option is what I am currently using because it is simpler for me.

The modulation wheel has either synth internal LFO or noise attached to it.
So you could simply do the same as the pitchwheel, just using those parameters instead.

Other DAWs may work somewhat differently(and probably have neater things to use as modulators), but I think it would be similar.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

snare wrote:Don't miss the "Hidden Parameters" which are not available on the UI but are available as mappable parameters. I am finding the phaser frequency and modulation to be useful expressive parameters.

Frequency
41 center frequency of the phaser

Modulation
42 modulation amount of the phaser
:tu: :clap: :

Frostline wrote: Or I could just open automation lanes for tone (which is the closest thing I could find to pitch)
Tone ... tone :neutral:

I used tune .. :dog:
You'll understand that didn't do much in pitch pending. :hihi:

rghvdberg wrote: Tone ... tone :neutral:

I used tune .. :dog:
You'll understand that didn't do much in pitch pending. :hihi:
Well in fairness I did also say
Frostline wrote:my understanding of both could easily be wrong.
:hyper:
And maybe I need to start wearing my glasses more often. :lol:
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Frostline wrote:
phace wrote:from the manual under 'From Joystick To Wheels' it explains that "The original Delta features a joystick for modulation purposes", is there a modwheel parameter I can automate to make use of these "Joywheels" without using a midi keyboard?
It probably depends on your DAW.

Putting this here so I can see it and reference to it in the post
The original Delta features a joystick for modulation purposes: The horizontal axis
directly controls pitch and/or VCF cutoff frequency while the vertical axis controls the
amount of modulation of the LFO (when pushing the joystick “up”) or the Noise (when
pulling the joystick “down”).
However, joysticks are pretty out of fashion theses days (which is a pity) and modern
controllers almost all have the classic Pitch and Modulation wheels instead. Thus, for
the Nabla I decided to map the horizontal joystick axis to the Pitch wheel and the
vertical axis to the Modulation wheel. Unfortunately, you now have to select what
modulation source (LFO or Noise) is controlled by the Modulation wheel; this is what
the Wheel switch is for.
This is just my interpretation of how I understand your question and the manual,my understanding of both could easily be wrong.

Anyway the original horizontal axis that did pitch and/or filter cutoff is now on the pitchwheel.
In Reaper I have two options.
I could use ReaControlMidi before Nabla to get a pitchwheel automation lane to either draw the automation or attach an LFO to. This option would be closest to simulating having an actual pitchwheel. And one can move the slider in ReaControlMidi as a pretend pitchwheel, though it is horizontal instead of vertical like the real physical pitchwheel.
Or I could just open automation lanes for tone (which is the closest thing I could find to pitch) and an automation lane for the filter cutoff and either draw or attach a LFO to those. This option is what I am currently using because it is simpler for me.

The modulation wheel has either synth internal LFO or noise attached to it.
So you could simply do the same as the pitchwheel, just using those parameters instead.

Other DAWs may work somewhat differently(and probably have neater things to use as modulators), but I think it would be similar.
thanks..good to see this post because I'm using reaper as well

Hi Guys,

thinking of taking part in this months OSC, but I'm not quite sure which FX are allowed and which not.

1.) Is for instance a moderate Distortion Effect allowed? It's a grey zone, I'd say. Yes, it alters the sound but the sound would be still recognizable if the amount of Distortion is only small.

2.) I could try to do my own multiband fx - primary for the reason of not being allowed to use meldaproduction stuff - with using a lot of tracks, EQs and FX and using Cubase Pro 9 new "Frequency" EQ. Is it possible to use DAW Pro Version Plugins, like the "Frequency EQ"? I'd say yes because the rules state "Most Native DAW effects may be used" but a bullet point later it reads "effects must be easily available freeware 3rd party effects"?

Looking forward to getting a bit of assistance on that topic!

Cheers
] Peter:H [

EDIT 09.02.2017: Removed the Link to the Song. Find my Submission later on this thread, on Page 8, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=478584&start=105#p6700637

Here's a short little sketch I put together to see whether Nabla and I can get along (experience from Hy-Mono...nah, we never got friends ;-)

It's 7 Nablas and a bunch of Cubase 9 "Frequency" EQs, a lot of StereoEnhancers (in combination with the Frequencies mostly used to get low end mono). 2 Delays, 1 Reverb, Subtle Tape and Disto, one of Cubase Multiband Compressors, a simple Compressor for Drum Parallel-Compression. All FX coming with Cubase 9, no other open source...I put it together under the assumption, that Cubase 9 FX are allowed, as well as subtle Distortion and Saturation.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the equalizer of the strings has such a nice flavor, you can get noisia like bass textures because of it! not going to attempt to create a dnb track though, snares would be a nightmare

Return to “Instruments”