Anything new? Yes, a new looper plugin!

Official support for: ju-x.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

junojux wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote: Great suggestions. Multiple inputs would be useful too.
Yes, I'm thinking the count of input/output should be around 8.
Sounds good :tu:

thecontrolcentre wrote:
junojux wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote: Great suggestions. Multiple inputs would be useful too.
Yes, I'm thinking the count of input/output should be around 8.
Sounds good :tu:
Yeah, that would be really useful. If you could also use those inputs to sidechain each other, with the possibility of assigning each resulting signal their own routing (routed to an available input channel basically) inside the plugin, that would open up some amazing possibilities.

Some other things I'd like to see in a looper:
-most of the things on the list sinkmusic posted in this thread, especially granular processing, polyrhythmic capabilities, start-end point editing and variable tempo modes
-filters
-multiple assignable LFO's,
-the ability to control built in effects with the step sequencer, or
-have the possibility to control the step sequencer with an LFO (for example linked to overall speed or step length)
- so basically,(semi)modular routing, also creating the possibility of feedback loops (yummy)
-a basic limiter so you don't blow your ears (and your gear) when messing with feedback loops :D

In my opinion it wouldn't be a big deal if it doesn't have the ability to load 3rd party plugins, as this would probably only increase the change of something failing along the way. A few choice effects and flexible routing could turn this thing into a real monster already...

tlnks wrote: -most of the things on the list sinkmusic posted in this thread, especially granular processing, polyrhythmic capabilities, start-end point editing and variable tempo modes
-filters
-have the possibility to control the step sequencer with an LFO (for example linked to overall speed or step length)
- so basically,(semi)modular routing, also creating the possibility of feedback loops (yummy)
-a basic limiter so you don't blow your ears (and your gear) when messing with feedback loops :D
Should be on! I must check more about granular processing and its key for the fun moment :)

Yes granular is big fun! Even simple pseudo-granual action like on Samplr (iOS app) is fun with sampled material.
That basically sounds like a description of the Octatrack :D

Actually an Octratrack that works well as a looper (currently it only does to a minor degree) would be big on my personal wishlist!

Just to put expectations right though, we're a very small team (2 people) so we won't be able to deliver the same amount of features as a big company like Elektron. But still, maybe a bit at a time we might be able to make something really cool.
ju-x.com
It's catching the wave:)

junojux wrote: Should be on! I must check more about granular processing and its key for the fun moment :)
Yeah it's a lot of fun, and it's already possible to do some basic granular(ish) sounds with Frosting, as you can link external lfo to any automatable parameter :) And since granular is basically short loops it could be a great fit imo...
hanzojux wrote:Yes granular is big fun! Even simple pseudo-granual action like on Samplr (iOS app) is fun with sampled material.

That basically sounds like a description of the Octatrack :D

Actually an Octratrack that works well as a looper (currently it only does to a minor degree) would be big on my personal wishlist!

Just to put expectations right though, we're a very small team (2 people) so we won't be able to deliver the same amount of features as a big company like Elektron. But still, maybe a bit at a time we might be able to make something really cool.
Not expecting everything to be built/implemented, though if even just a few of the features make it into a Ju-X plugin I would be happy :) As simple as Frosting seems it's already really versatile, you can get lots of different sounds out of it as it is. And then I'm not even talking about using it inside an effect chain...

Had an Octatrack for a while actually, but it was a bit disappointing that it's probably never going to get Overbridge support, so eventually I traded it for an MPC Live.

Though I do miss some of the Octatrack features I think the MPC is a little more intuitive to jam with (because of the pads).

Though I do miss some of the Octatrack features I think the MPC is a little more intuitive to jam with (because of the pads).
Yeah... the Octatrack is really not very jammable. I've had one for over a year now and use it extensively to play live, but it forces you to prepare the sets very well no matter if you just want to perform a fixed set or want to impro a bit more. So you can jam only inside of the perimeter you have defined when preparing the project. Plus many things are not very immediate (complex combos, menu diving etc.). In the end live performance on an Octatrack boils down to wiggling the fader and switching patterns.

There's still a lot of very interesting features in it, which would deserve to be made more jammable, so it's still a great inspiration.

I guess this opens up a bit topic: how do you people jam with a looper right now? And what would you like to see added to make jamming more fun/interesting/inspiring etc. To me loopers are great as a songwriting tool, since you just hit rec, play something, then add more stuff, create new loops, swap/fade between loops etc. I'm pretty frustrated with Ableton, which would have a great potential in those regards, but – again – makes many things a bit cumbersome and destroys the flow.
ju-x.com

That's exactly one of the strengths of the MPC, you load up a kit/chop something up and play something in, loop it and repeat. I think it works well with other Elektrons to combine samples and synthesis (sample loading is still a bit of a drag though with most older Elektron gear, which makes the MPC all the more useful in my situation). Going back and forth between them you can build an entire set without much difficulty.

Somehow itb I don't use phrase loopers/looper style sequencing all that much in general, I guess it's easy to get stuck in editing mode after playing something in, having all the options available to 'perfect' it immediately can be a little distracting... Though it's not necessarily a bad thing, you can get interesting results both ways.

Somehow itb I don't use phrase loopers/looper style sequencing all that much in general, I guess it's easy to get stuck in editing mode after playing something in, having all the options available to 'perfect' it immediately can be a little distracting... Though it's not necessarily a bad thing, you can get interesting results both ways.
Sorry how do loopers get you stuck in editing mode? To me these do the opposite, since they force me to get things right on the fly and prevent me from going all OCD over the details. With a looper once you record something and then overdub on it, that's it, no more chances of correcting mistakes, tweaking levels, eq, etc.
ju-x.com

hanzojux wrote: Sorry how do loopers get you stuck in editing mode? To me these do the opposite, since they force me to get things right on the fly and prevent me from going all OCD over the details. With a looper once you record something and then overdub on it, that's it, no more chances of correcting mistakes, tweaking levels, eq, etc.
They do not, maybe I was a little unclear on that... It happens when I don't use loopers, itb (so on the computer, with for example just a midi controller recording things into a DAW), when just recording things into the sequencer I often start to fiddle around with the recording :)

I meant that it's not all bad, it's hard to emulate hardware looper workflow on the computer, but at least you can use them to get different results.

They do not, maybe I was a little unclear on that... It happens when I don't use loopers, itb (so on the computer, with for example just a midi controller recording things into a DAW), when just recording things into the sequencer I often start to fiddle around with the recording
oh that's what you mean! yeah same thing here... I get caught up in perfectionism mode all the time on a DAW, and the results usually are far from being perfect anyway :D
Probably we need a computer-based looper with an focus mode, where the screen gets all dark and it's just you and the looper and nothing else!
ju-x.com

By hearing, now I think if I can catch any idea to make time scale seamless, from microseconds to hours, from sample sequencing to phrase looping. Even album making? :D

And yeah, the focus mode must be developed in some way now. Later when people make music with AR or controllers in the air, the graphics should be good elastic and can be focused per situation.

How's the progress? :)

Been busy for some creative things, the idea is growing which is good :)

How's your music creation lately?

junojux wrote:Been busy for some creative things, the idea is growing which is good :)

How's your music creation lately?
Stalled do to lack of a 64 but looping VST that syncs properly to the host. :lol:

All I want is something that has an auto-record function where you can set it up to record a specific bar length loop and quantize the recording start. So say it gets a MIDI message on the second quarter note of a bar, it’ll wait until the start of the next bar and then go into record for say 4 or 8 (any length) bars.

Oh, and feedback control on each loop is a must.

I’d buy that for sure.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: All I want is something that has an auto-record function where you can set it up to record a specific bar length loop and quantize the recording start. So say it gets a MIDI message on the second quarter note of a bar, it’ll wait until the start of the next bar and then go into record for say 4 or 8 (any length) bars.
We're indeed thinking the auto-record or a similar feature. Experimented it some time ago with our test app, and it should be continued!

Other basic features are already implemented :)

Return to “Ju-X”