Which controller keyboard do you use for you virtual instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edirol PCR-500 from the stone age.

Rock stable, reliable.

I'm mainly using a Motif ES8 and a SwisSonic Easy something 61 on the side. The SS61 doesn't have too many controls, but it's built like a tank (aluminum) and has a suprisingly decent keyboard for the money.
(BTW, I'm moving house these days and am still searching for a cargo service that ships the Motif (44kg w/ flightcase) 4000km south without breaking the bank - no luck so far, I'll probably have to sell it, yikes)

yellowmix wrote:
Teksonik wrote:I will never buy anything from M-Audio again. Their support for legacy products is non-existent and one day anything you buy from them will become a legacy product.
Wut? I have an ancient Oxygen 8 first gen happily working with Windows 10 64-bit. The keyboard is 15 years old. What kind of legacy support are you talking about?
My M-audio 02 was a bit of extra when I bought my first copy of Live version 5
It has survived everything including being stored in a detached garage for years collecting dust
and that little sucker plug'n'played w/ my new set-up no problemo
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

REV2 & Korg Micro Key

Akai MPK249
Last edited by gnu23 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Nektar Impact GX49 & Expressive E Touché. Quite an effective and pleasant combo I'd say :)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

melomood wrote: My M-audio 02 was a bit of extra when I bought my first copy of Live version 5
It has survived everything including being stored in a detached garage for years collecting dust
That's nice but can you get a Delta AP 192 to simultaneously send signals to its Analog and S/PDIF outputs without using your DAW for a workaround ? No ? Neither can I and neither can M-Audio because their control panel software is wonky and their "support" can't provide any insight other than "here's a link to the manual" and the Delta is a "legacy product" not worthy of support. The answer is not in the Manual.

M-Audio is the Walmart of vendors now. Too many superior products available from their competitors these days.

Anyway get an Akai MPK controller if you want a professional and well built controller. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Acid Mitch wrote:I like the Roland A series. A300, A500, A800.
Another vote for this, they are well made, small and have all the features required.
dedication to flying

Teksonik wrote:
melomood wrote: My M-audio 02 was a bit of extra when I bought my first copy of Live version 5
That's nice but can you get a Delta AP 192 to simultaneously send signals to its Analog and S/PDIF outputs without using your DAW for a workaround ? No ? Neither can I and neither can M-Audio because their control panel software is wonky and their "support" can't provide any insight other than "here's a link to the manual" and the Delta is a "legacy product" not worthy of support. The answer is not in the Manual.

M-Audio is the Walmart of vendors now. Too many superior products available from their competitors these days.

Anyway get an Akai MPK controller if you want a professional and well built controller. :wink:
I'm not quite that high maintenance in my needs,but I'll take the tip since I am itching for a nicer
midi controller & the Roland XP is nice but doesn't exactly fit the bill.

Edit for that awkward moment when you realize you got the talking to from someone who doesn't appear to actually make music or write any songs
Last edited by melomood on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I used m audio controllers for years but the axiom and most of the controllers in that price range seem to give out in a year and a half or so no matter what. After three axioms, an axiom pro and a novation impulse giving out so quickly, I stepped up to the next price bracket and have no issues. If this Panarama goes out in the next year (I've had it for 2), then I'm just gonna get an old Yamaha workstation. But I'm happy with the controllers I have at the moment.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

A mate of mine brought my axiom pro 49 recently :evil: back from being a doorstop for 3 years!
Flashed new os anyway i will not be buying M-Audio ever again aftter being abandoned!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/posting.p ... &p=6935707#

melomood wrote: Edit for that awkward moment when you realize you got the talking to from someone who doesn't appear to actually make music or write any songs
I trust you are not speaking of me ? :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ah_Dziz wrote: After three axioms, an axiom pro and a novation impulse giving out so quickly.
The Transport Play button failed on my Axiom which of course by that time was just barely out of warranty. It would have cost me more to fix it than but a new one. So I bought a new one.....but I chose the Akai this time and have never looked back. Best move I've made in a long time. :)
stixman wrote:A mate of mine brought my axiom pro 49 recently :evil: back from being a doorstop for 3 years!
Flashed new os anyway i will not be buying M-Audio ever again after being abandoned!
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/posting.p ... &p=6935707#
Your link won't open here. Says something about "you can't edit posts on this forum".

Ah_Dziz wrote:I used m audio controllers for years but the axiom and most of the controllers in that price range seem to give out in a year and a half or so no matter what. After three axioms, an axiom pro and a novation impulse giving out so quickly
Can confirm that TBH. I had an M-Audio Oxygen 25 2nd gen as my first controller, and it really held up well. No issues with the keyboard, or the knobs. I upgraded to a M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd gen then, and, after a year, or a year and a half, the endless rotary encoder began to mess up, and jumped in value, when turned moderately quickly. Sent it in to Thomann, they "repaired" it (however you want to repair cheapo encoders...), and after a few months, they began to jump in value again. Then bought an Impulse 49, which i have for 10 months now, and, guess what. Yep, the most used rotary encoders 1 and 2 began to jump in values... i sent it in to Novation now, who wrote me they sent me a replacement unit, which i hope has better encoders built in. I doubt it though. The endless encoders in the keyboards in that price range simply suck hard. The non-endless ones in my Oxygen never failed, and i really used them MUCH more than i used the endless encoders in the Axiom and the Impulse. I really have to think that they're rather meant for modifying the pan or mixer levels once a month, but not for synth tweaking, because they're obviously completely whack.

Roland A-88 and
Kurzweil PC-88

Return to “Instruments”