What’s the best Arp VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mabian wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am Yes but so I have to press all the keys. When I press less keys than what included in the pattern and use "cyclic" mode there's no way to have the cycles cover more octaves... or not?
No, it also works with less keys, even with one key. :tu:

elassi wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:01 am
mabian wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am Yes but so I have to press all the keys. When I press less keys than what included in the pattern and use "cyclic" mode there's no way to have the cycles cover more octaves... or not?
Not sure, this is what I'm trying to achieve:

1) Pressing only C2, arp between C2,C3,C4
2) Pressing C2,E2 arp between C2,E2,C3,E3,C4,E4
3) Pressing C2,E2,G2 arp between C2,E2,G2,C3,E3,G3,C4,E4,G4

That's just an example but I'm not sure BlueArp can handle that...

To get back in subject, can Stepic or other plugins get this as well?

- Mario

I would say the BlueArp can do that. But have to check if all 3 scenarios can be achieved without pattern change (since I feel this is what you are after)

mabian wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:23 am That's just an example but I'm not sure BlueArp can handle that...
No worries, doctor ... BlueArp can handle even this:

Eventually, it boils down to the same old hint: Know your tools. Learn.

SamDi wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:50 am Wow, I wasn‘t aware, that Stepic does work now as an Arpeggiator, thanks for the info. The only thing, which I don‘t like about stepic is, that you cannot load and save presets. So you got the workaround to save and load vst-preset by your DAW, but it‘s really PITA.
Yeah, the 1.5 update makes it almost a new plugin :-)

I tried to convince Jens to implement presets, since for me it would be a very beneficial feature, not only for myself, but I also think it would help new users to learn it faster, if they can see all the features in action.
1.5 makes it into quite the beast with all it can do now and not everything is obvious, even though the GUI is really good IMO. Combining the arp with the sequencer and scales and the divider etc. can give very complex results.

During beta testing I created this generative patch, running three instances of Stepic into Addictive Keys, Plasmonic and Chromaphone v1. Only a single pattern each, no further processing or Midi mangling outside of Stepic:

http://screendream.de/stuff/Stepic/Step ... 02229.flac

While VST3 or DAW presets are okay, especially in a sequencer I love to have more direct access to them somehow without leaving the GUI...

But he wants to do it right and it's not his highest priority. It's on the list though.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream | Instagram | YouTube

mabian wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:23 am
elassi wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:01 am

- Mario
Logic Pro Arp with 3 Octaves setting will bring out exactly your target notes.

PS: of course Stepic can do this basic stuff as well.

PPS: different modes are available such as Up, Down, UpDown, DownUp, Random, AsPlayed.

I don't see a demo of stepic available, only 30 days of refund chance, correct?

elassi wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:50 am
mabian wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:23 am That's just an example but I'm not sure BlueArp can handle that...

I think what it boils down to is that BlueARP can do most if not everything a "normal" arpeggiator can do, and it can do so much more due to its step sequencing functionality. I also always preferred the arps in Sylenth1 and Spire to others, because they also can be used as step sequencers.

mabian wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:30 am I don't see a demo of stepic available, only 30 days of refund chance, correct?
Sadly yes, but the dev stands for it, so no worries.
If still concerned, contact him on the discord.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream | Instagram | YouTube

Animation Station is awesome but not cheap.

elassi wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:50 am

Thanks, but to be honest I'm not seeing how these settings would help achieving the example I provided... the transpose transposes all the output, not just the ones looping, and anyway it only allows for one octave transpose (In my example, two shifts or more are involved...)

- Mario

- Mario
No, BlueARP cannot do that. It's a step sequencer that can program arpeggiations, not actually an arpeggiator.

And yes, Stepic can do that.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:09 pm

- Mario
No, BlueARP cannot do that. It's a step sequencer that can program arpeggiations, not actually an arpeggiator.

And yes, Stepic can do that.
Thanks. In the meanwhile, I found a forgotten gem.
Not as powerful as BlueArp, but it can do pretty well the example I presented, and has also pretty cool random and humanization features...

https://www.codefn42.com/randarp/index.html

- Mario

Return to “Instruments”