Amigo Sampler - 8-Bit Amiga Style Sampler Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amigo Sampler

sprnva wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:13 am Haven't tried it, but there's also Ami Sampler.
This one is much better.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:36 pm Yeah I bought it as well because it's so cheap and so far I'm not impressed.

First of all, it's _extremely_ annoyingly buggy, at least in Reaper on Mac OS Monterey as a native silicon plugin. Loop points aren't stored per preset and speaking of presets, the only way I found how to save presets is through the built in system in Reaper (which is fine by me, it's the system I prefer using).

EDIT: Start and end points aren't saved with the preset either. :roll:

It doesn't correctly recognize audio files in the browser unless it has some kind of .*** ending. Many of the old school samples don't have any. Yet you can drag and drop these fine into the plugin but can't use the built in browser.

Attack and Release and controls in general are very badly scaled in how the mouse operates them. You can however use mouse wheel on them to get fine tuning but still, just default drag + click should work like 99% of other synths.
All true! One bug I was actually having fun with is the loop points don't reset when you load a new sample. If the interface also didn't reset, I'd call it a feature and not a bug, but as it is you're seeing one thing and hearing another.

bmanic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:21 pm
sprnva wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:13 am Haven't tried it, but there's also Ami Sampler.
This one is much better.
Indeed, thanks for pointing out this one. Seems like a winner. Need to keep an eye on it :)

Guenon wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:43 am
bmanic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:21 pm
This one is much better.
Indeed, thanks for pointing out this one. Seems like a winner. Need to keep an eye on it :)
1. why is it better maybe?
2. it says
While Ami Sampler does play back any audio at 8-bit PCM and does have a sample rate decimator available, to fully get the Amiga feel, it's recommended to use 8-bit samples with a sample rate below 28khz (typical sample rates for the Amiga were usually either 8363hz or 16726hz).
what if i drag in 44.1 khz samples will it in the sampler still sound like i would have imported it in a real Amiga 500? also for Amigo Sampler meant
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

lmao didn't even finish reading the post. Bought.

wvshpr wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:31 am Hmm... doesn't really sound like an Amiga to me in the demos. Hard to test without a proper demo installer.

Anti-aliasing filter is fixed. But the cool crunch really only comes to the fore when it's turned off.

Bummer.
Hi :) Developer here.

Glad to see people have been rating it!

There is no actual real antialiasing filter, my implementation is actually pretty lax when it comes to aliasing, because i think this is one of the magical things about the sound of the Amiga. In Amigo, when you change the sample rate, the plugin applies a filter at the correct frequency (this is the closest thing to an anti-aliasing filter) so 22k samplerate would apply a filter at 11k. Then the sample gets downsampled, and quantised to 8 bit. After this process, the wave will be stepped because of the quantization step, so techincally the source doesn't contain any frequency content higher than nyquist (samplerate / 2), but you're introdcucing that frequency content by playing back a stepped signal.
Idk if that made any sense haha!

This means playback in Amigo is just like playing 8-bit pcm on your Amiga!
I think this strikes a good balance between authenticity, and simplicity.

Purchased , but donwload is a zip file that I can't open ( using 7zip ) , it's unresponisve when tried to open it
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 am Purchased , but donwload is a zip file that I can't open ( using 7zip ) , it's unresponisve when tried to open it
Extract the main zipped file first, after that you can unpack the sub zip file.
Had the same "problem".

RPH wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:21 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 am Purchased , but donwload is a zip file that I can't open ( using 7zip ) , it's unresponisve when tried to open it
Extract the main zipped file first, after that you can unpack the sub zip file.
Had the same "problem".
Yep , don
It was just a matter of drag dropping in a new folder ...forgot all about that ..
Testdriving now :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

ilchef-potenzadsp wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:53 am
Hi :) Developer here.
Hi,

Do you plan on extending the resolution to say 12bit @ 32KHz for that Akai sound that a lot of people are after?

The plugin is great!

Thanks.
Last edited by I-Quit on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilchef-potenzadsp wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:53 am There is no actual real antialiasing filter, my implementation is actually pretty lax when it comes to aliasing, because i think this is one of the magical things about the sound of the Amiga. In Amigo, when you change the sample rate, the plugin applies a filter at the correct frequency (this is the closest thing to an anti-aliasing filter) so 22k samplerate would apply a filter at 11k.
Could you add an ADSR envelope for the samplerate or filter? That would be an interesting way to give more flexibility without adding much complexity.

Up-down buttons next to load button would also be nice so that we can cycle through samples. Even better would be if the browser would preview the sample when you click on it.

I have 2 akai samplers and this little plugin brings some really nice magic to the sound. It also pitches up and down very well. Meaning it keeps the punch of the sample even when dropped 7 semitones.

I’m not sure why someone wouldn’t recommend this for the price it’s at unless they don’t really make 90s music or own the hardware. As someone who does both, I find it very impressive.

It sure is impressive. Time-stretching and repitching is excellently implemented.

Holding hopes for a 12bit @ 32KHz update for that true Akai flavour.
Last edited by I-Quit on Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stash98 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:49 pm I’m not sure why someone wouldn’t recommend this for the price it’s at unless they don’t really make 90s music or own the hardware.
It's mainly about bugs. I'll still recommend it but it'll be even better after an update. I tried it against TAL-Sampler and Kontakt, and their 8-bit modes don't sound the same.

I-Quit wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:08 pm Holding hopes for an 12bit @ 32KHz update for that true Akai flavour.
100%. I'd love to have it go all the way up to 24-bit/44.1KHz because this plugin is nice for quick sample mangling even when you're not looking for a lofi sound.

Return to “Instruments”