PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

How's this for a beta test:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6185854/kvr%20s ... ver%29.mp3

Only used PG8X for the main song with no eq or compression. The 10 second "fx intro" uses Fullbucket's new Scrooo vsti with some spring reverb. Slight compression on the master.

This short demo/cover does not do this bad ass MGMT song justice, and I know they use assortments of analog gear and a Moog but I thought it would be fun to try with this synth only because it has a really fat warm sound. I played it sloppy on the midi keyboard from memory and it's by no means accurate.

Layer a few of these up and you got a really nice sound

sonicpowa wrote:
LXNDR1 wrote:
sonicpowa wrote:Lovely sounding synth. Probably really close to the original JX8P. Are you concidering turning this to a commercial product some day? I would buy it. :)
the man is generous enough to give it out for free, take it and use it right now already

if you have extra money to spend just donate (contact the man for details)
i don't get the urge to buy something when it's already free. do money give some kind of validation to things?

i wish that mere paying for this synth turned it into a 100% accurate emulation of the original, how much time and effort could be spared then! :cry:
You are telling me instructions how to respond correctly about freeware? :hihi:

What's wrong with encouraging him? I'm just telling it's that good and going to buy it if he makes really accurate commercial recreation of JX8P.
Anyways, yes I noticed it's free and I'm going to use it, thank you, your concern is noted.
god forbid, who am i to give you instructions? i just pointed out the underlying absurdity of your question, it's like asking to buy for $20, a watermelon which costs $4
by such way of encouragement you may discourage other people, my concern was about them rather than about you, sorry :shrug:
sometimes it's hard not to be an asshole © mellotronaut
you work so somebody can rest
Doing sound synthesis if organs is all you get, leave it alone

All Rights Deserved

LXNDR1 wrote:i just pointed out the underlying absurdity of your question, it's like asking to buy for $20, a watermelon which costs $4
No it's not. It's like paying $4 for a watermelon but telling the farmer "yes, I'll buy a better product for a higher price if you want to invest to a better machinery, seeds, production line etc."

Gave this a try out last night. I have no idea if it's an accurate emulation but it certainly captures the vibe of the period.
Thank you for allowing us to enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)

sonicpowa wrote:
LXNDR1 wrote:i just pointed out the underlying absurdity of your question, it's like asking to buy for $20, a watermelon which costs $4
No it's not. It's like paying $4 for a watermelon but telling the farmer "yes, I'll buy a better product for a higher price if you want to invest to a better machinery, seeds, production line etc."
let's not go there

by this analogy you imply that the synth is somehow flawed and this is because Martin somehow doesn't have enough resources to improve it, nothing of which follows from the conversation in this thread so far

let alone the fact that a higher price doesn't always correlate with higher quality, just like i said, in your view money (or rather their amount) seem to give validation to things

maybe you like the feeling of being a sponsor, dunno

----------------------

(sorry about derailing the conversation a bit)

All Rights Deserved

LXNDR1 wrote:by this analogy you imply that the synth is somehow flawed
I don't think it's 100% accurate modeling (and never will be), so I guess it's flawed if you want to put it like that.
But I did say it's lovely sounding. And said I'll buy if he ever makes commercial product. So what's your problem? Have a nice day Einstein. :hihi:

MRT wrote:I have no idea if it's an accurate emulation but it certainly captures the vibe of the period.
Its fairly close synthedit style whithout the digital wet sound and tone colors. Some might prefer the dry sound anyway. It is a good approach by working from the programer but it would need another strip(top or bottom) whith the various tone colours to get closer. On the orignal you have rows of buttons whith presets in a particular tone colour which you can modify and save as a new preset. I don't have the programmer and they can cost as much as the synth to get hold of. So programming whithout it to any detail is not particularly intuitive.

this one is going to be a good one I think :tu:

Martin, how about an authentic looking logo for your synth:

sonicpowa wrote:Martin, how about an authentic looking logo for your synth:

Actually, in the new version (which is not yet online) I already have included exactly that name in that font (but in a different location...)

Great!

sonicpowa wrote:
I don't think it's 100% accurate modeling (and never will be), so I guess it's flawed if you want to put it like that.
But I did say it's lovely sounding. And said I'll buy if he ever makes commercial product. So what's your problem? Have a nice day Einstein. :hihi:
remind me in what grade 'Einstein' is considered an insult.

i'm sure with your financial support Martin will be able to create a 100% accurate emulation, other factors are just negligible, so don't skimp and happy spending

All Rights Deserved

sonicpowa wrote:
I am getting more and more amused by your discussion here....

Can I just say, that I was surprised that it was just thrown into the discussion that I am giving this thing away for free? Actually, so far, I just posted an unfinished beta version to get some feedback. I had not decided whether or not to turn it into a commercial product. It would be nice to leave this decision to the developer...

To be honest, I did not really plan to make it commercial, for a simple reason: I just do this in my spare time. I have a quite demanding day-job, and therefore I cannot guarantee that I will be able to keep it supported, to quickly respond to bug reports and so on. I might put a donate button on my page, so if somebody feels like they want to contribute, I would be happy about that.

About being a 100% accurate emulation: I think this will never be possible. For instance, the DCO's in the JX-8P run on a 8MHz clock, which is diveded down, and gives a certain set of frequencies and leads to fine detunings. In order to properly reproduce that, I would have to run the engine at ridiculous 8 MHz, which is not possible. The same it true for the filter. In order to have the correct response up to highest it should be oversampled much higher. I am just trying to capture the general feel of it and come as close as possible without completely blowing the CPU.

Cheers,
Martin

this sounds exciting! i used to have a jx-8p and absolutely loved it. will download tonight and give it a go
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

toine6 wrote:Perfect this, and then make a Roland JX-10 synth for more voices, then everyone should be happy ;)
Well, making JX10 or MKS70 functionality would be a great idea,- but that's asking not only for doubling the polyphony but also for all the keyboard modes like single/dual/unison mono/unison poly, detune function not only for the OSCs but the 2 virtual 6-voice voiceboards and for a dual stereo-chorus and 2 stereo outputs A and B.
That means 2 JX8P emulations in one VSTplugin plus the Tones and Patches logistics.

I'd like to see that very much and I'd pay for that because I own a MKS70 and want to have it in software.

PeWe

martin_l wrote:I am getting more and more amused by your discussion here....
I'm glad we made your day more fun with that amusing discussion. :D
Sorry but I didn't read LXNDR1' latest post so it unfortunately will stop now. :(

Return to “Instruments”