Vember Audio Shortcircuit is now open source!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Shortcircuit XT

Loaded a bunch of sfz
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What are we looking at here? Shortcircuit 2?

Yep that's ye olde SC2.

Aha...
A little of that, a little SC1, and a smidgeon of Surge, and SC XT will be lovely.

This is EFFIN awesome. I've personally pleaded (nay begged) Claes and I'd like to think my push made an ever-so-slight impact in making this dream come true. :oops:

I personally prefer SC1's GUI and I hope SC3 or whatever takes more cues from SC1 than it does from SC2.

Oh and my sound-library has been long in need of an update (heck I may just give it away for free in the spirit of things, so don't buy it yet). :D

The GUI will be modernized in many ways. But I do agree that flipped over mapping view of SC2 was a WTF moment for me. No, it needs to be pitch horizontal, velocity vertical, like in all other samplers. It only makes sense, and has a huge familiarity factor.

As for the rest of the GUI, there's a loooooot to think through. I'm sure we'll get there eventually, but it will need time.

Something to look forward to
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:13 pm The GUI will be modernized in many ways. But I do agree that flipped over mapping view of SC2 was a WTF moment for me. No, it needs to be pitch horizontal, velocity vertical, like in all other samplers. It only makes sense, and has a huge familiarity factor.

As for the rest of the GUI, there's a loooooot to think through. I'm sure we'll get there eventually, but it will need time.
I didn't get this part:
"Right now there are no downloadable assets you can get to play music, and there is no runnable open source Shortcircuit plugin. "

Why not? Won't the old version run on an old platform (32-bit windows)? If the whole source code has been released, can't we just compile it for a 32-bit system and run as-is?

Or has the full source code not been released yet?

The source code we got was an in-between version that had too many Windows dependencies (the whole GUI basically, and other things too) preventing them from building on Mac (he's a Mac-first guy) - it actually couldn't be built since there was no make system in place etc. So baconpaul dug into it and made it not dependent on Windows APIs (in the process the whole GUI had to be shot down), so now it's basically a patient with chest opened while heart surgery is being done.

So no, current state of SCXT is not usable at all, since it has no proper GUI to speak of.

You can see what was done so far directly on GitHub... And if you try to build it, you will see it wasn't even possible to build it from the initial commit.

Sooo, when Short Circuit XT will be finally in a state to add further features in the future, it might be worthwhile to nicely ask and try to convince the AKAIZER guy to maybe open source his timestretch/pitchshift algorithm after all. Even if he states otherwise on his blog...

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:13 pm The GUI will be modernized in many ways. But I do agree that flipped over mapping view of SC2 was a WTF moment for me. No, it needs to be pitch horizontal, velocity vertical, like in all other samplers. It only makes sense, and has a huge familiarity factor.
The news just keeps getting better. :)
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

This seems to have been stagnant for a long while, but I just snooped at the GitHub, and it seems like things have sprung to life again in the last week or so!
I'll be very exited to see the upcoming progress. I'd love to help, but I'm not a programmer. I can always test the early versions (AU on an Intel Mac), give input on the feature set and GUI, and produce a whole bunch of patches, but I don't know if there will be much demand for that king of thing.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:15 am Hope this message brightens everyone's day. :)
This certainly made my day, thank you ED, baconpaul, and everyone making this happen! I’m very impressed by the Open Source revitalization around Surge and looking forward to what happens here with SC. :D
Feel free to call me Brian.

I'm blown away by the work already completed by the Surge team, so this is icing on the (short) cake. My humble thanks to all that make these things happen.

There's PPC code in them thar hills! :lol:

Yeah, this code base is on the old and crusty side. But a real sampler? Yay!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “Instruments”