How much money have you spent on plugins?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Between 2000 and 3000 €, I would guess. Another 1000 for hardware.

Maybe $100; I've been diligent with research and lucky with giveaways.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

has anyone spent more than 10k usd on plugins?

-if so can we be in your company?

nix808 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:27 pm has anyone spent more than 10k usd on plugins?
Haven't counted a grand total in a good while, however I don't think I've ever separated plugin expenses from other software licenses and also Kontakt instruments. The latter raises the sum total of the sort of... "all software instruments and effects" category considerably, in any case, i.e. when excluding DAW licenses/updates and non-audio software and so on. That being said, I'm pretty sure plugins, strictly speaking, are over 10k.

This is during a total time span of something like twenty years, mind you.

808fate wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm Hi, how much have you guys spent on software?
I am a newbie and it seems quite expensive. I am wanting to start with Logic Pro or Ableton Live, but liking Logic more from videos.

Also, how much money if any have you made with music?
It's as expensive...or not...as you make it. It doesn't have to be to make great music.

Do as others have said here...DON'T buy anything yet unless you're really sure you need it and something free or less expensive won't do the job. Cost and quality very often do not go hand in hand with music software. There is software which is outstanding and free (or really cheap) and software which is crap (or at least not as good) and expensive as hell. There's no correlation. Check out the list here on KVR or any of the other various freebie sites with free stuff and start trying. You'd be amazed at what you can find for free.

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:21 amYou'd be amazed at what you can find for free.
Look at One Synth Challenge for ten years of creative evidence:
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

No doubt!

Guenon wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:05 pm Haven't counted a grand total in a good while, however I don't think I've ever separated plugin expenses from other software licenses and also Kontakt instruments.
? Kontakt and anything that runs in Kontakt is a plugin, so why would you?

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:26 am
Guenon wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:05 pm Haven't counted a grand total in a good while, however I don't think I've ever separated plugin expenses from other software licenses and also Kontakt instruments.
? Kontakt and anything that runs in Kontakt is a plugin, so why would you?
Anything that runs in Kontakt is a plug-in?

808fate wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm Hi, how much have you guys spent on software?
I am a newbie and it seems quite expensive. I am wanting to start with Logic Pro or Ableton Live, but liking Logic more from videos.

Also, how much money if any have you made with music?
Including hardware "plugins"? Ten$ of thou$and$ :nutter:
Advice I've given friends in the past: Don't buy anything until you are a pro with your DAW and know the built-in plugs proficiently. No sense wasting money on a compressor plugin if you don't know exactly how to dial in the attack/release or how to get rid of a funky resonance with a parametric EQ. Logic and Live native plugs are more than adequate for nearly everything. When you outgrow them you'll be able to answer your question. Also, Logic and Live have completely different workflows from each other. A 180 degree difference. Both are good but demo first before buying.

Whereas I'd suggest that if you really take the time to learn how to use the tools in your DAW, you will discover that those fancy modelled compressors people are stupid enough to pay a fortune for are mostly just snake oil and you'll save yourself a fortune.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

mixyguy2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:26 am ? Kontakt and anything that runs in Kontakt is a plugin, so why would you?
Because it is a distinction that is usually made in common industry parlance between plugin instruments/effects and any expansion library data that they use. (Asking "have you tried new plugins lately" isn't expecting a "yeah, I got this flute multisample for Kontakt" for an answer.) There is also an actual technical difference, as in, something like an orchestral instrument collection isn't "a plugin" by itself unless it also comes with its own executable binary component that runs inside a host environment.

However, in the end, it's very close in the same area of expenses anyway - so as you imply, I have seen this similarly, and haven't separated those expenses because there hasn't been a need to categorize that specifically there.

Guenon wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:21 am Because it is a distinction that is usually made in common industry parlance between plugin instruments/effects and any expansion library data that they use. (Asking "have you tried new plugins lately" isn't expecting a "yeah, I got this flute multisample for Kontakt" for an answer.)
Sure it is, since virtual instruments are plugins, which is the broader term...it doesn't matter if it runs in Kontakt or not. At least that's been my experience. YMMV.
There is also an actual technical difference, as in, something like an orchestral instrument collection isn't "a plugin" by itself unless it also comes with its own executable binary component that runs inside a host environment.
? Although plugins do indeed run inside a host environment (the DAW), they don't have an executable binary component. They are DLLs and data files and such.

An orchestral library is a plugin. It runs inside the DAW.

Standalone versions are different; they do have an executable and don't require a DAW or anything else.

mixyguy2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:34 amthey don't have an executable binary component. They are DLLs and data files and such.

An orchestral library is a plugin. It runs inside the DAW.

Standalone versions are different; they do have an executable and don't require a DAW or anything else.
A plugin DLL is literally an executable binary component. If you don't believe this, examine a plugin DLL in a hex editor and observe that it has the same header as an EXE file intended for standalone use, and includes the traditional "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" error message.

Nevertheless, judging by the threads you are starting, this is also starting to look like trolling.
mixyguy2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:34 amSure it is, since virtual instruments are plugins, which is the broader term...it doesn't matter if it runs in Kontakt or not. At least that's been my experience. YMMV.
Broader term? You've (most likely intentionally) got this backwards. Yes, there are also other plugins than virtual instruments ;), but in the context you are framing this in, a "virtual instrument" is a term that can be used of a plugin itself, or it can be something like a set of samples and a bit of structural description, intended to be used as input data in something that executes, reads that structure, and plays back the data in a controlled fashion. And so on.

Also, ask yourself, is this really relevant to the actual thread? Why are you pursuing this line of thought so intently? Why are you, at the same time, starting those weird no-value threads? Don't you think all that sort of posting does is mostly just adding noise?

All in all over the years, that makes about 5000€ for me (+2000€ for Cubase and updates).
But that's not what you spend when you start from scratch! If I were to start from scratch, I would plan on spending around 1000-2000€. That's with a USB audio interface, a Midi Controller, the DAW and a few plugins. But all DAWs have so many plugins and sample content that you don't even need plugins at the beginning... So the DAW and a good audio interface + midi controller and even 1000€ could be enough for that.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”