XLN Life

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Life

I too think it's a fun tool. But for what it can do (at the moment) it's too expensive (imho).

What i'm confused of: will really EVERY single loop you throw into it get uploaded to the cloud?
And if so - WHY?
I understand the connection from your mobile device to the "Life" plugin, via cloud is a good solution, but not when you working locally in your DAW.

I would like to see a direct LOCAL connection to XO in the future - THIS would be nice!
Not this sh*tty cloud thingy...

kinkajou wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:42 pm What i'm confused of: will really EVERY single loop you throw into it get uploaded to the cloud?
And if so - WHY?
I've emailed support back about this as I do NOT need my imported loops uploaded to the cloud for any reason at all. I work on one machine locally, that's it. Make it an option if need be, but don't rip all my audio to your servers and do god knows what with them. What if I import 20TB of samples, what'll happen then? Is that fine? Will I have to sit and watch the spinning 'uploading' icon in Live for 36 hours? Ridiculous.

kinkajou wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:42 pm I too think it's a fun tool. But for what it can do (at the moment) it's too expensive (imho).
JRRShop with code "group" brings it down to 90$.
kinkajou wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:42 pm I understand the connection from your mobile device to the "Life" plugin, via cloud is a good solution, but not when you working locally in your DAW.
I think the workflow with the mobile device is the main thing. If you don't use that it won't provide you with much that you can't do otherwise. But if you use that workflow, this thing is amazingly fun to play around with. Just record some random stuff with your phone and have it slice it up into a beat instantly in your DAW.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Wait so does each preset allow just one file? Like when you record stuff you have to record it all at once continuously? What if you want to record one thing that's really short, then a bit of noise, then another thing a few minutes later? Are you able to bring multiple files into a single beat? If not that's pretty limiting. Wouldn't want to have to do all field recordings for a given beat in a single recording.

After playing around with the demo for a bit: I think this just needs to be treated as a simple, random happy accident machine. The combination of variance, randomness and AI (for detecting and categorizing slices I guess) is indeed a nice idea.

I'm just a bit unhappy that this isn't part of XO3, but has now been released as a new simplified plugin that doesn't offer that much control over the end results. But maybe control isn't what this is about, more exploration. With this even a total newbie can create nice sounding beats / foley loops that are totally individual.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

now everything is called AI... ai here ai there...
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Fannon wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:30 am After playing around with the demo for a bit: I think this just needs to be treated as a simple, random happy accident machine. The combination of variance, randomness and AI (for detecting and categorizing slices I guess) is indeed a nice idea.
I haven't demoed but from what I saw in videos your description exactly matches how I perceived it.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Caine123 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:27 am now everything is called AI... ai here ai there...
At least it's killed off 'Cinematic' which has been winding me up for the last year or two...

Horse wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:28 pm
Caine123 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:27 am now everything is called AI... ai here ai there...
At least it's killed off 'Cinematic' which has been winding me up for the last year or two...
I sure hope AI can help kickstart my productions and bring them to the next level; it would be game-changing! :party:

--
Marco

Well I've had fun with it for the first hour and mangling my dumb voice. Wouldn't mind a discount for customers that own all the other XLN products, and like many have said, integration with XO. The UI is similar so maybe that is planned but I also feel the burn of XO neglect.

Also I can't find any legalese describing what access XLN has to audio I upload? I'm sure the XLN crew are swell people, but I also never use products like Amazon Alexa that can use my data for AI training or whatever. One more vote to keep that off the cloud as an option

Be sure to email XLN support and let it be known how you feel about the cloud behaviour etc, that's the only way we'll get them to listen.

vulpes777 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:49 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:28 pm
I sure hope AI can help kickstart my productions and bring them to the next level; it would be game-changing! :party:

--
Marco
The "take it to the next level" shit needs to die.

Also "Fire" beats.

Anything with "Pro" or "Pro level".

Well I found the legal terms, umm, this gives them the rights to your uploaded samples? Hard pass if so:

7) For the purposes of enabling XLN Audio to enhance its Software and services, including by use of machine learning and for AI training purposes, the Customer grants to XLN Audio the following license:

a) a non-exclusive, irrevocable, free-of-charge, worldwide, perpetual, transferable, sublicensable license to access, analyze, copy, store, modify, create derivatives from, make available to the public and otherwise use, in any manner and media, all Created Music Work and any parts thereof, including but not limited to any recordings, stems, loops, sounds, samples, presets, MIDI files and underlying compositions (if any), and any other material generated by the Customer in connection with the use of the Software;
b) to the extent applicable and permittable under applicable law, you waive any so-called “moral rights” in relation to the license in paragraph 6(7) a) above;
c) for the avoidance of doubt, paragraph 6(7) a) and b) above shall apply also to Created Music Work created by the Customer during the Trial Period, regardless of whether the Customer exercises its right to withdraw in accordance with paragraph 5 above.

iowastate89 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:40 am Well I found the legal terms, umm, this gives them the rights to your uploaded samples? Hard pass if so:

7) For the purposes of enabling XLN Audio to enhance its Software and services, including by use of machine learning and for AI training purposes, the Customer grants to XLN Audio the following license:

a) a non-exclusive, irrevocable, free-of-charge, worldwide, perpetual, transferable, sublicensable license to access, analyze, copy, store, modify, create derivatives from, make available to the public and otherwise use, in any manner and media, all Created Music Work and any parts thereof, including but not limited to any recordings, stems, loops, sounds, samples, presets, MIDI files and underlying compositions (if any), and any other material generated by the Customer in connection with the use of the Software;
b) to the extent applicable and permittable under applicable law, you waive any so-called “moral rights” in relation to the license in paragraph 6(7) a) above;
c) for the avoidance of doubt, paragraph 6(7) a) and b) above shall apply also to Created Music Work created by the Customer during the Trial Period, regardless of whether the Customer exercises its right to withdraw in accordance with paragraph 5 above.
Yeah f*ck that noise

Sample Logic's World AI (stands for animated intelligence).

Return to “Instruments”