Hardware resale prices

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:22 am
Choikdoi wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:38 pm
Uncle E wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:25 pm Monologue is underrated. [...]
Yeah, I'm certainly underrating it myself too, I know. Definitely due to a lack of knowledge of how to get the best out of it. But, I gave it a month [...]
My advice would be to stick with that Monologue for now. Do allow yourself to dive deeper into it, since you can get out much more of it. Only problem is you don't know how. Yet! It takes time, and lots of it. One month is the blink of an eye.

Chances are that this is going to be a repeating pattern, which is not good for your wallet: you see videos of synths that seem excellent when used by others, but under your own control they just don't deliver.

Remember that these are just instruments. It's due to virtue of the player that astonishing sounds come out, it does not happen all by itself.
Excellent advice πŸ‘
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Choikdoi wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:15 pm I didn't want to be put off hardware from only my first experience of it, but the Monologue just wasn't for me, despite plenty of research before buying.
Figure out if you actually like exploring and making own sounds?

There are three ways to go from that answer
a) if yes, listen through factory sounds and disect those "how did they do that", kind of thing.

This way you figure out the options available on that synth.

I have Prologue, but MiniLogue and MiniLogue XD also is polyphonic and from what I understand the same core synth as MonoLogue.

Your MonoLogue is monophonic and in my world very limited use and for those that do sequencing of basslines and similar and possibly solo on music played.

Making chords and creating pads and color the sound with multiple notes is really nice. Mono-synths does not do that, for me at least.

b) if not wanting to explore so much, buy libraries for it
Investigating you obviously like the sound of it.

c) get rid of it, and buying it second hand you know how much loss you are willing to take to make a fast transaction.

A monologue, maybe $200 or so is what I would expect.

egbert101 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:52 pm
D-Fusion wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:44 pm
Uncle E wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:09 pm PolySource will be my insta-buy.
Same here :)
Hell yeah. Although a three oscillator Memorymoog clone would be even nicer.

Buy 2 and Polychain them to get 4 Oscillators :party:
But i do agree that a Memorymoog would be even more awesome and the other product i am waiting for is the Sem 2XM.

Love my Pro 800 too as it has a sound that i can't find anywhere else in SW or HW except for maybe getting a Vintage Prophet 600 with Gligli and the Problems that comes with buying Vintage.

I also saw that you where considering the Behringer Cat and i promise you that that one will give you more headaches than the Monologue and the Cherry Audio Octave Cat Replaced mine so maybe demo that vst to see if it is for you before you decide.

Behringer Copied the Nasty Oscillator Sync mode that i hate from the OG that sounds weird to me compared to the Normal oscillator Sync on other synths.
The PWM Lfo is broken when you play a sequence where it stops Responding/Modulate the PWM at random before it starts the PWM Modulation again so it is only good if you play 1 long note at a time.

I also see that Some are recommending the Wasp and i agree that it sounds awesome but that one is even more limited than the Monologue + I hated the 3 Octave Limit that they also had to copy from the Original so you can only play notes on the 3 Lowest octave on your keyboard.

The Pro 1, Neutron and the Model D are the best of their Mono's so far in my view and i see there are a few growing pains on their Kobol so i would wait and see if those get fixed before getting one.

There are also many excellent Programming Tutorial Videos on Youtube for your Monologue so i would also suggest that you take a look at those and learn it better before you decide if it's not for you.

Choikdoi wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:02 pm
chk071 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:24 pm Don't get me started on those "Which synth should I buy?" threads. :roll:
Well, I can't say I've never asked that question before!

I think it's relatively acceptable, in context of being new to everything and a little daunted. Then a few recommendations can be helpful. Let's just say... as long as you have a post count under a certain number and you're not asking specifically "which synth is the best?" :lol:
Use your experience as part of the learning process. I also suggest very clearly listing out what you liked and didn't like about the Korg, as well as a list of what you must have and nice to have and don't want for your next purchase - and keep the lists pretty short so you can focus on what matters most.

For example, for my first hardware synth I wanted: 1:1, analog, desktop, under $500, presets, MIDI, desktop library software. A sequencer and fx were nice to haves. I didn't want something I could have in software form. I bought the SE-02.

SE-02 awesome
Wasp only 3 sounds but they’re awesome
Prophet-600 Gligli drools but Pro-800 awesome for the price

zerocrossing wrote: ↑Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:42 pm I don't know about software sales affecting hardware sales. Software has been around and good for a long time. I can't imagine that all of the sudden people are shunning hardware to buy software. Even my GEM S2, which I use as a polyphonic aftertouch controller, can't be replicated in software, obviously. They used to be very hard to find, and get snapped up instantly because they are known for their high quality.
Well, it was true in my case. So, I just naturally assumed there may be others too. As I said, I was particularly talking about people like me who were taking their first steps into hardware purchasing. And, I was only relating to steep drops in software prices in very recent times, as I'm aware that software has been around for a long time now.

Even though the Behringer stuff has reduced the price of accessible hardware, with a combination of sales and waiting for good 2nd hand prices, you can still pretty much get the entire U-he soft synth collection for the price of 1 hardware synth, as an example. Or, Arturia V8 for $50 recently.
Last edited by Choikdoi on Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

I'm mainly into Trance and Techno, so I wanted to get more of an analog sound into the low end of my productions, which is why I was prioritising a mono synth. Already having several software emulations of Prophets and Moogs, I was less attracted to the Behringer offerings of those, and that's why the CAT and Kobol appealed to me. I find Cherry Audio's stuff to be a little weak in the low frequencies, just for my personal taste, and their CAT followed that trend when I demoed it.

I have already admitted that I know I'm being impatient and that not getting on with the Monologue is down to me not putting enough effort in, rather than there being anything wrong with the synth whatsoever. As it is, I really don't mind taking a loss on it, if the sale of it brings in enough to cover buying a replacement, or close to. If that wasn't possible, then I would stick with it longer and give it the chance it deserved.

There is one other alternative, but now I'm tempted to ask for recommendations for it (sorry, avert your eyes, chk071)...

If not a mono / bass synth for the analog low end that I want, I'd be interested in some drum hardware. Although, probably more so for kicks, and I haven't done much research into that area yet. Does anyone have any that they use / like? I like the look of a JoMoX MBase11 or a Vermona Kick Lancet, or a Korg Volca Kick as a budget option.

Choikdoi wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:04 pm There is one other alternative, but now I'm tempted to ask for recommendations for it (sorry, avert your eyes, chk071)...
No worries. :D I didn't mean that it's forbidden to ask, I just meant that I sometimes wonder about the lack of own perspective brought into such questions. As if everything was good enough, and there's no personal or subjective side to it.

If you're looking for low end, I don't think anything beats the Minimoog (a.k.a. the Behringer Model D).

BTW, I don't know about Techno, but, 99.9% of Trance music is done with soft synths these days. Just saying. Doesn't mean that everyone has to do it, of course.

We had an entire thread about the techno/trance thing. Smh.

viewtopic.php?t=601333
<list your stupid gear here>

Choikdoi wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:04 pm Although, probably more so for kicks, and I haven't done much research into that area yet. Does anyone have any that they use / like? I like the look of a JoMoX MBase11 or a Vermona Kick Lancet, or a Korg Volca Kick as a budget option.
For hard hitting kicks, especially for techno, I don't think you can beat Jomox. I've never owned the Vermona, but I did some extensive reviews of demos before I bought an Alpha Base a while back and I definitely preferred the Jomox.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Choikdoi wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:04 pm I'm mainly into Trance and Techno, so I wanted to get more of an analog sound into the low end of my productions, which is why I was prioritising a mono synth. Already having several software emulations of Prophets and Moogs, I was less attracted to the Behringer offerings of those, and that's why the CAT and Kobol appealed to me. I find Cherry Audio's stuff to be a little weak in the low frequencies, just for my personal taste, and their CAT followed that trend when I demoed it.

I have already admitted that I know I'm being impatient and that not getting on with the Monologue is down to me not putting enough effort in, rather than there being anything wrong with the synth whatsoever. As it is, I really don't mind taking a loss on it, if the sale of it brings in enough to cover buying a replacement, or close to. If that wasn't possible, then I would stick with it longer and give it the chance it deserved.

There is one other alternative, but now I'm tempted to ask for recommendations for it (sorry, avert your eyes, chk071)...

If not a mono / bass synth for the analog low end that I want, I'd be interested in some drum hardware. Although, probably more so for kicks, and I haven't done much research into that area yet. Does anyone have any that they use / like? I like the look of a JoMoX MBase11 or a Vermona Kick Lancet, or a Korg Volca Kick as a budget option.
The Cherry audio Octave Cat has actually a tiny bit more lowend than the Behringer Cat and actually sounded better because of it when i tested both here before i decided that it was not worth keeping the B-Cat.

So i guess you will hate the Cat if you get it since you did'nt like the Cherry one ;)

chk071 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:10 pm If you're looking for low end, I don't think anything beats the Minimoog (a.k.a. the Behringer Model D).
Yep, that's definitely still on the table, if I can get a decent price, if I sell the Monologue.
chk071 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:14 pm BTW, I don't know about Techno, but, 99.9% of Trance music is done with soft synths these days. Just saying. Doesn't mean that everyone has to do it, of course.
True, but I'm not keen on how the current stuff sounds, heh. The allure of making things sound like they did in the late 90s / early 00s when it was mostly hardware, is one of the things that made me consider getting some in the first place, rather than sticking to just the software I've been using over the last few years.

Then you need the JP-8k and a Virus. ;)

Return to β€œHardware (Instruments and Effects)”