Zebralette 3 Public Beta Announcement (Revision 15573)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebralette

Urs wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:45 pm Well, the oscilloscope (and a separate analyser) has been used for years by me, but it had an ugly makeshift design. I just got our designer on the case, merged the analyser into it and did a few touch-ups. I also use it for a lot of micro-development tasks such as display lists of values, display (and play back) samples or export samples.

I need it a lot during the current phase of Zebra 3 development, and every now and then I simply add some new functionality. Like, retroactively removing the phase shift artefacts in samples from highpass filters in analogue synths is something I don't think any other tool provides for, and it's utterly necessary for my work.

I guess we're a bit proud of it for the things it does very well, and we're trying to figure out if it should go somewhere.
I vividly recall bugging you endlessly when Ace first came out (which I scored immediately) to p.l.e.a.s.e make a separate oscilloscope, like the one it has, but with appropriate/user definable colour choices and full screen mode.

I'd pay $35-50 for the one you've got in its current form, even if it doesn't do lissajous.

But if/when it could make cool lissajous oscilloscope music... well, $75-100 easily.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Yeah, we frequently got requests.

@Urs I have no idea what kind of witchcraft you and your team did, but after alot of side by side comparison with a ton of plugins free and paid I have to say it. Those oscillator sound freaking incredible!
How??? How can they be so much better. It's mind boggling. It is my go to for "basic" 1 osc sound for now on (even tho it can do much more, I just didnt have time to explore anything esle than the osc sound by itself yet). There is nothing I heard that even come CLOSE. Insanity!!!

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am really enjoying this synth as a wavetable editor, but is there a way to export the wavetable to 256 frames instead of 101 frames, and will there be the ability to export the curve spectrum as a wavetable?

StrikerTheFoxy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:27 am Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am really enjoying this synth as a wavetable editor, but is there a way to export the wavetable to 256 frames instead of 101 frames, and will there be the ability to export the curve spectrum as a wavetable?
Not yet, but we're thinking about it.

The wavetable editor is fantastic. Without it I could not make a correct and clean morph. Currently it's one of several tools in the workflow but the vector editing is integral.

I recorded a morphing oscillator from a hardware synth. Dragging it into Zebralette 3 grabs only the first couple samples so I dropped it into Kilohearts Phase Plant. That editor lets me choose a source range and project it into as many or few wavetable frames I want, using several strategies for frame correlation. With that I was able to reduce the sweep to something Zebralette 3 could import whole.

Once in Zebralette 3, I reduced the frames as necessary, reducing the traced points to necessary ones so I could switch the morphing style to point-to-point. The tools available made it possible, grouping and moving, shaping curves with handles, simplifying groups of points, etc.. With 8 keyframes I was able to duplicate the sweep at relative precise times. I could use it in Zebralette 3, and I exported it.

My primary goal was getting in on to my MicroMonsta. That takes 33 frames so I dropped the exported table into Serum. I basically removed frames to scale it down to the 33, it's relatively easy in its editor (select, then delete). Then I took that wavetable and brought it into the MicroMonsta wavetable editor, which did the final job of resampling (128 samples per frame), etc..

I'd mentioned it before. But you can see what kind of import/export features I'd like to see in some version of the editor so people could do everything in it. But had to share how powerful the editor already is.

i'm probably going to embarrass myself, but it seems like the PAN knob doesn't work.

if I bring up an INIT patch, and pan to each side, I get louder sounder when full left and no sound when panned full right.

the only time i get any sound on the full right side is from the effects return. but it is only the effect with no dry signal.

i know there is only one oscillator but if this is by design, then what exactly is it for? :oops: :help:

JamminFool wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:05 pm i'm probably going to embarrass myself, but it seems like the PAN knob doesn't work.

if I bring up an INIT patch, and pan to each side, I get louder sounder when full left and no sound when panned full right.

the only time i get any sound on the full right side is from the effects return. but it is only the effect with no dry signal.

i know there is only one oscillator but if this is by design, then what exactly is it for? :oops: :help:
It's working here on Windows 10 with Studio One. Just a wild guess, is your pan knob/fader in your DAW where Zebralette is inserted not in the middle position but on the left? I could reproduce what you describe when I do that.

Beachboy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:08 pm
JamminFool wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:05 pm i'm probably going to embarrass myself, but it seems like the PAN knob doesn't work.

It's working here on Windows 10 with Studio One. Just a wild guess, is your pan knob/fader in your DAW where Zebralette is inserted not in the middle position but on the left? I could reproduce what you describe when I do that.
thanks for checking. no, everything is centered in the DAW, but you gave me an idea. i checked it on headphones and it works fine, as expected.

like i said, now i'm embarrassed. :oops:

EDIT: traced it down to a bad cable from my mixer to my monitors. intermittent...as soon as i fiddled with the cable, the right-side channel popped up. time for new cables.

good grief. sorry to trouble you. :dog:

JamminFool wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:15 pm
Beachboy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:08 pm

thanks for checking. no, everything is centered in the DAW, but you gave me an idea. i checked it on headphones and it works fine, as expected.

EDIT: traced it down to a bad cable from my mixer to my monitors. intermittent...as soon as i fiddled with the cable, the right-side channel popped up. time for new cables.

good grief. sorry to trouble you. :dog:
Nice to hear that you found the root cause of the issue. I think that happened to all of us at least once :)

That's a beautiful patch :tu:

JamminFool wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:15 pm

Don't feel bad, I've reconfigured my audio a sad number of times until I remember to switch the soundcard output from the recreational earbuds to the studio headphones... :dog: :roll:

Thanks for that. :hug:

Return to “u-he”