Have Modern VST Instruments Replaced Your Hardware Synths ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cro-magnon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:04 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:30 pm I just want to hear that "incredible PWM pad", what's so difficult about it?! If they can't record it, what is it good for in the first place?!
I posted the pwm pad.That's a saw and square pwm.I wasted almost 1 hour for you this morning,because you explicitly asked for an audio example.
If you were polite,you would reply something for the least,or post your example with Diva now,for the best.
i asked too, but haven't seen it, did I miss it?

:oops:

AnX wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:13 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:30 pm I just want to hear that "incredible PWM pad", what's so difficult about it?! If they can't record it, what is it good for in the first place?!
I posted the pwm pad.That's a saw and square pwm.I wasted almost 1 hour for you this morning,because you explicitly asked for an audio example.
If you were polite,you would reply something for the least,or post your example with Diva now,for the best.

viewtopic.php?p=7999514#p7999514

Thanks for taking the time, I surely did not want you to waste an hour of your life because of me :?

Not my type of sound and not incredible, but it does sound nice, juicy, balanced and pleasant :tu: The opposite of the Dune pad someone posted recently...

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:17 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:13 pm

viewtopic.php?p=7999514#p7999514
got it, thanks

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:26 pm
Thanks for taking the time, I surely did not want you to waste an hour of your life because of me :?

Not my type of sound and not incredible, but it does sound nice, juicy, balanced and pleasant :tu: The opposite of the Dune pad someone posted recently...
Ok,thanks for your kind words.On forums I almost always hear 80's synthwave,so it is in this kind...
For me it sounds very good,and this quick audio example if without any preamp/saturation,EQ nor any compressiom/limiter.

I took the Alpha Juno as an example in this discussion hard/software.It's a cheap synth,sure vintage CS-80,OB-X,Jupiter 8 or Prophet 5 sound way better,more sophisticated,with more nuances.
Last edited by Cro-magnon on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sounds pretty generic to me, I'm not hearing anything a decent vst can't do

its not a bad sound, but it's not an example that jumps out as being analogue or hardware specific in any way

Maybe for you...I know this synth pretty well,as I said it is a low end synth,but I use it daily and I know it sounds better than any plugin for this kind of simple analog pads/polysynths.It 'glues' so well In the context of a mix.
It's pretty limited,no comparison with the fantastic possibilities the modern plugins offer.But for what it does,it does it very well.
I use both haerdware and software,I'm not a software hater.Today I worked with MassiveX a lot.

Cro-magnon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:55 pm Maybe for you...I know this synth pretty well,as I said it is a low end synth,but I use it daily and I know it sounds better than any plugin for this kind of simple analog pads/polysynths.It 'glues' so well In the context of a mix.
It's pretty limited,no comparison with the fantastic possibilities the modern plugins offer.But for what it does,it does it very well.
I use both haerdware and software,I'm not a software hater.Today I worked with MassiveX a lot.
thats all fair enough, no problem with that here, it's just i was expecting something different (as you described it as "amazing")

Cro-magnon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:55 pm Maybe for you...I know this synth pretty well,as I said it is a low end synth,but I use it daily and I know it sounds better than any plugin for this kind of simple analog pads/polysynths.It 'glues' so well In the context of a mix.
I don't even consider it a low-end synth, its minimalist exterior is deceiving. I would not mind having an Alpha 2, together with one of those optional programming units :)
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... folnyb.jpg

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 pm
I don't even consider it a low-end synth, its minimalist exterior is deceiving. I would not mind having an Alpha 2, together with one of those optional programming units :)
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... folnyb.jpg
Yes it's even better with that,but the problem is it costs more than the actual synth... :(
I use a Ctrlr panel for programming,it's faster than using the clunky interface of this synth.
The Roland MKS-50 is the rack version,it is better,it has a few more options such as unison and takes less space.And the programming is not worse.(if one might imagine worse! :D )

AnX wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm
thats all fair enough, no problem with that here, it's just i was expecting something different (as you described it as "amazing")
That's just a quick example according to my tastes at this moment.It is limited in features,but it has many different timbres with all the different oscillator waveshapes combinations .[144 combinations with the sub oscillator!(4*6*6)]

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:04 am
foosnark wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:58 amI really do think a combination of hardware and software brings the best of both worlds.
I'm sorry but the best of hardware is still below the worst of software so "the best of both worlds" would be all of the software world and a MIDI controller or two.
Not in sound quality for synths.

The gap is closing perhaps, and there is a lot of convenience in software, but you know it is still possible to create a sound, practice playing a part and then record it in audio! Though, I guess this is too much for lots of people.

Now there may be some overlap in best software to worst hardware... which is probably what you meant to say..

Yes. I always wanted to work 97.6% in the box.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I feel like I end up saying the same thing in one form or another in every one of these types of threads, but to me, the difference between hardware and software has almost nothing to do with sound. My opinion is that EVERY synth available today can sound good. The difference IMO is how I experience hardware vs. software. I love getting my dirty hands on a hardware synth, turning knobs, pushing buttons, and playing it as an instrument because that's what I grew up doing, and it seems so strange to me that this has pretty much gone entirely out of the discussion. I don't get that same experience from clicking and dragging things with a mouse. What I do get with software is all that convenience, efficiency, more instruments and sounds than I'll ever have time to experience in my lifetime, a lower electric bill, etc., than I could ever have with hardware alone. I'm just glad that I live in a time when I don't have to prefer one over the other and can easily have and use both of them.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:06 pm
trusampler wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:21 pm I love my Cpu's,but to say VSti's have surpassed Analog or Digital synths is laughable. More features don't mean a better sound,and that's what this is all about right? Hardware easily trumps Vsti's in every area other then recall. It'll ALWAYS be this way. Take a Vintage CS80 vs any clone in software.. Point made
To my ears, VSTi's have surpassed digital hardware synths. Analog is a different conversation.
Wait a minute here.. I'm assuming your talking about more Modern Vstis, and rightly so, there's been some amazing progress, but in terms of digital for example, where's your cut off date? Lets talk modern digital, have you heard the new Waldorf Kyra ( originally the Valkyrie ) and Quantum yet?
I have, and they are amazing..I personally haven't found anything close to what those synths can do in the sound registers and frequency,so pure and clean.. I'm a lover of Vstis, but to say they've replaced all hardware synths, well not in my world, and not in many others as well my friend.
Analog is not even a question, there's nothing in the box, that completely mimics a real alive Analog synth, in my humble opinion.
Not saying Vsti's are not getting better all the time, but if we're comparing sounds, we've gotta include the newer modern digital hardware synths as well. 8) :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Instruments”