PaulXStretch - has an update....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PaulXStretch

Michael L wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:24 pm Is anyone able to open VST3 in Mac?
I can't even in a bare-bones host like Blue Cat Patchwork.
Loads here in Reaper, Ableton Live Lite 11 and VCV Host. (Mac Os 10.13 High Sierra.)

Heads up, it appears the mac AudioUnit is not passing validation with v1.5.2… I’m looking into it.
Sonosaurus LLC - Developer of SooperLooper, SonoBus, ThumbJam, DrumJam, TonalEnergy Tuner

OK, new v1.5.3 is up!
https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch

v1.5.3
- Fixed Mac AudioUnit validation error and potentional crash risk for all when using more than 8 channels.
Sonosaurus LLC - Developer of SooperLooper, SonoBus, ThumbJam, DrumJam, TonalEnergy Tuner

Xenakios wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:41 pm
Michael L wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:24 pm Is anyone able to open VST3 in Mac?
I can't even in a bare-bones host like Blue Cat Patchwork.
Loads here in Reaper, Ableton Live Lite 11 and VCV Host. (Mac Os 10.13 High Sierra.)
Thanks, loads for me in Reaper too (not in Patchwork but that's ok cuz it loads as AU) in Mojave 10.14.6
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:14 am Thanks, loads for me in Reaper too (not in Patchwork but that's ok cuz it loads as AU) in Mojave 10.14.6
Yeah, I was able to reproduce the bug with Bluecat Patchwork demo and the VST3 plugin. I don't know what that's about, but maybe Sonosaurus will be able to figure it out.

essejlc wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:15 pm
Autobot wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:26 am
Thank you for reactivating and polishing PaulX. This one really needs to keep on living. Do you plan any more features to implement in the future?

Also again thanks to Xenakios for so many great things. And of course to Paul Nasca too.
Yes, thanks to both Xenakios and Paul Nasca!

Sure, I have some new feature ideas, and I'll happily listen to any that come my way...
What would come at first to my mind would be a (a) smooth option for the Free Filter random function. So it's rather a transition from one value to the next rather than an abrupt change. A frequency grid or at (b) least db scale would be nice too. Placing the nodes into the black do not help to see where they exactly located. I also would appreciate a (c) bright color theme for my old eyes respectively daytime work. A skinning option would be even more appreciated. And maybe it's possible to (d) expose some of the compressor controls? Maybe as a tab next to Free Filter? In general if there are some hidden parameters would be nice to have them at hand.
Thanks.
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:44 am What would come at first to my mind would be a (a) smooth option for the Free Filter random function. So it's rather a transition from one value to the next rather than an abrupt change.

And maybe it's possible to (d) expose some of the compressor controls? Maybe as a tab next to Free Filter? In general if there are some hidden parameters would be nice to have them at hand.
Thanks.
The random filter smoothing from one state to the next isn't technically very feasible to do, the filter changes need to be synchronized with the FFT size. So, for example, if the FFT size is 65536 samples, the filter shape can only change every 65536 samples at the "fastest" randomization update setting.

Or do you mean the shape of the filter curve? By default it changes abruptly from frequency to frequency, but by right-clicking the filter curve area, the context menu has an option to get a curve with lines connecting the values.
paulrandfilt.gif
The compressor processing has no additional parameters, it's literally a one parameter thing. You might be thinking about things like attack and release times, but the compressor doesn't work like that, that is again limited by that everything has to be processed in FFT sized blocks. But maybe some other new parameters could be added into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Xenakios on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenakios wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:05 pm
Autobot wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:44 am What would come at first to my mind would be a (a) smooth option for the Free Filter random function. So it's rather a transition from one value to the next rather than an abrupt change.

And maybe it's possible to (d) expose some of the compressor controls? Maybe as a tab next to Free Filter? In general if there are some hidden parameters would be nice to have them at hand.
Thanks.
The random filter smoothing from one state to the next isn't technically very feasible to do, the filter changes need to be synchronized with the FFT size. So, for example, if the FFT size is 65536 samples, the filter shape can only change every 65536 samples at the "fastest" randomization update setting.

The compressor processing has no additional parameters, it's literally a one parameter thing. You might be thinking about things like attack and release times, but the compressor doesn't work like that, that is again limited by that everything has to be processed in FFT sized blocks. But maybe some other new parameters could be added into it.
Thanks for the explanation. Regarding the compressor I was rather hoping for ratio, threshold than attack, release. May I ask you to elaborate a bit on how the compressor works? Is it rather a bit like a limiter?
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:08 pm Thanks for the explanation. Regarding the compressor I was rather hoping for ratio, threshold than attack, release. May I ask you to elaborate a bit on how the compressor works? Is it rather a bit like a limiter?
Note I edited my post above, in case you meant the shape of the randomized free filter curve instead of transitioning between the randomized states.

The compressor is very simple, it's more like a normalizer for the FFT bins.

Xenakios wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:18 pm
Autobot wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:08 pm Thanks for the explanation. Regarding the compressor I was rather hoping for ratio, threshold than attack, release. May I ask you to elaborate a bit on how the compressor works? Is it rather a bit like a limiter?
Note I edited my post above, in case you meant the shape of the randomized free filter curve instead of transitioning between the randomized states.

The compressor is very simple, it's more like a normalizer for the FFT bins.
Thanks for the further explanations. I meant transitioning between the randomized states but good that you reminded me that one can use linear interpolation on the envelope :D

@essejlc maybe rename the Compressor to Normalizer? Would also reflect the sonic impression one has while raising the amount.
rabbit in a hole

found a bug on win10, vst3 version, Renoise 3.4.1
some parameters do not react to the modifier "ctrl". No fine-tuning possible therefore. For example: "Onset detection", "Main Volume", "Random bands/rate/amount"
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:24 pm Thanks for the further explanations. I meant transitioning between the randomized states
It's at least my assessment that smooth transitions for the filter are not feasible to do or would complicate the code very much, but maybe Sonosaurus could come up with other ideas about it.

Autobot wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:46 pm found a bug on win10, vst3 version, Renoise 3.4.1
some parameters do not react to the modifier "ctrl". No fine-tuning possible therefore. For example: "Onset detection", "Main Volume", "Random bands/rate/amount"
The slider code dynamically determines when the modifier is needed based on the current size of the slider and the minimum resolution of the value the slider will show. At the window size you have the resolution you get with those sliders was already determined to be enough, I think. Note that there is also an option in the settings to switch the sliders to the mode where they don't snap to the clicked position, which you might also appreciate.

essejlc wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:03 pm
Autobot wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:46 pm found a bug on win10, vst3 version, Renoise 3.4.1
The slider code dynamically determines when the modifier is needed based on the current size of the slider and the minimum resolution of the value the slider will show. At the window size you have the resolution you get with those sliders was already determined to be enough, I think. Note that there is also an option in the settings to switch the sliders to the mode where they don't snap to the clicked position, which you might also appreciate.
Okay. I see. Indeed deactivating "Sliders jump to position" is helpful. Thanks for pointing out. This brings the wish to have the option to save the initial settings set in "Settings"
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 am
essejlc wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:03 pm
Okay. I see. Indeed deactivating "Sliders jump to position" is helpful. Thanks for pointing out. This brings the wish to have the option to save the initial settings set in "Settings"
Ah, you mean a way to save the current state as the default for future new plugin instances? That’s a good idea. (the standalone saves the current state already). I suppose you could use the host’s preset saving capability for this as well.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”