Additive Synth VST/AU Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nug Wrangler wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm ah i see. Morphine is a better choice then
In the sense of it being more of a "true additive" than Sytrus, indeed.

In the sense of Morphine vs. Harmor, then perhaps no, because Harmor can do much more. It's got more partials (Morphine's 128 vs. Harmor's 516) and plenty of modules for quick abstracted control over them. Morphine lacks those kinds of modules altogether, though in its menus some useful functions may be found.

In other words, Morphine can be good for getting an initial grasp of the idea behind dynamic additive synthesis. Harmor in turn offers many more options, wider sound design capabilities and useful layers of abstraction on top of that.

j wazza wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:28 pm Lots of additive oscillators limit the spectrum to the harmonic series, but real sounds usually have frequencies outside of the harmonic series. [...]
Yep. That is another area where Harmor positively surprised me: partials can be set both in harmonic series as well as in inharmonic order, with varying ratios and a lot of adjustability.

The overall selection between harmonic/inharmonic is done via module on the left side of the GUI, named "PITCH". When it is set to "Hz", the sinewaves are at multiples of frequencies, initially according to harmonic series. When it's set to "oct", there are n sinewaves per octave (depending on module's settings).
In both cases distribution of sinewaves' pitches can be adjusted, and the pitch initially keytracked; the keytracking can be turned off in ENV > "Articulation" column > "Pitch" > "Keyboard mapping", via setting the response shape to counteract it.

There's also a module called "Prism" intended for stretching distribution of pitches across the spectrum in various ways. Its name makes more sense if one thinks of partials as rays of light: the "Prism" module "bends" them.

Pitches of individual partials can be adjusted via ENV > "Shaping" > "Image selected column", when there is a bitmap loaded in IMG tab.
The simplest example would be:
  1. making an image 1 pixels wide by 516 pixels high, all of it gray (RGB128 in Photoshop) to set initial offset values at +-0
  2. loading that image into IMG tab
  3. selecting "PLANE: Freq" in IMG tab
After that, "Image selected column" in ENV tab shows partials' pitch offsets. The maximum amount of offset depends on values of "FREQ" ("Image freq interpolation curve") and "SCALE" ("Image freq pixel scale") parameters in IMG tab (left bottom in UI). If set to "Hz", the adjustment range can be several octaves.

If the image loaded has several pixels of width, then each pixel on x-axis is a breakpoint or a "frame of animation". So for example, 4px of width and 516px of height (again at RGB128 to initialize the offsets at +-0) gives 4 "frames of animation". The height of 516px results in each pixel corresponding to one partial.

When IMG > "SPEED" parameter ("Image fine speed") is at zero, the animation or scanning - whatever one calls it - can be controlled via IMG > "TIME" parameter (which should perhaps have been named "Position" instead). The envelope of that parameter is in ENV > "Articulation" > "Image time offset" > "Envelope".

(The user experience of all that is exactly as weird and complex as it seems - Harmor really, really needs an UI+UX overhaul to bring its extensive additive capabilities to the front)

By the way, sorry if the detailed geekiness of my lengthy posts seems weird :)

I'm excited about the subject in general, and since Harmor is the additive synthesis tool I nowadays know best (many years of RTFM'ing, testing and using in practice), I tend to write a lot about it - especially regarding features that are often hard to discover due to Harmor's quirky GUI.

For my part, it's interesting to read similar posts about other tools.
Via that (as well as checking manuals of synths even before testing them ) a lot of useful knowledge can be discovered - and, perhaps, recalled when a particular job requires a particular feature/tool.

N__K wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:21 am Yep. That is another area where Harmor positively surprised me: partials can be set both in harmonic series as well as in inharmonic order, with varying ratios and a lot of adjustability.

The overall selection between harmonic/inharmonic is done via module on the left side of the GUI, named "PITCH". When it is set to "Hz", the sinewaves are at multiples of frequencies, initially according to harmonic series. When it's set to "oct", there are n sinewaves per octave (depending on module's settings).

By the way, sorry if the detailed geekiness of my lengthy posts seems weird :)

I'm excited about the subject in general, and since Harmor is the additive synthesis tool I nowadays know best (many years of RTFM'ing, testing and using in practice), I tend to write a lot about it - especially regarding features that are often hard to discover due to Harmor's quirky GUI.
I didn't know harmor could do all this, it seems completely unique. I tried it once, thought it was cool but confusing, and I don't use FL anymore so I didn't use it again. I think it used to be a vst too but not anymore. I think i need to try it again though, as it sounds like it can do things nothing else can. Are there any other synths with any features like this, comparable to harmor, such as pitches per octave etc? I should try morphine too.

I appreciate the effort you put in to these posts, I'm fascinated by it too, and think this is the kind of thing these forums are for!

Edit: on second thought, I think you could achieve a vaguely similar thing with an additive synth that let's you control the ratio/interval between the harmonics, like pigments and falcon, using low ratios. But it sounds like the pitch distribution would be different in harmor doing it per octave. Also tritik moodal let's you control modal density, which is a similar thing, and is also a key factor in the sound of reverbs.

And as harmor is a modular fft synth, you could probably do similar stuff with the fft in reaktor, bidule and max

j wazza wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:04 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:46 am
j wazza wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:01 pm Not all synthesis is additive, filtering a saw wave is subtractive synthesis. Additive synthesis means adding harmonics.
No. Filtering out a partial with a resonant filter isn’t what anyone calls additive synthesis.
I didn't say that, I said the opposite. So much time could be saved on here by people reading before replying.

I also like the bogaudio additive oscillator in vcv rack
OIC, sorry, I misread your sentence that said “filtering a sawtooth isn’t additive…” to be “is.”

I think there’s a difference between an additive oscillator in a synth like OSCar and a synth that gives you per partial control, even if it’s not discrete control over each partial.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:07 pm OIC, sorry, I misread your sentence that said “filtering a sawtooth isn’t additive…” to be “is.”

I think there’s a difference between an additive oscillator in a synth like OSCar and a synth that gives you per partial control, even if it’s not discrete control over each partial.
No worries, I haven't heard of Oscar, but yep there are different types of additive synths, ones that let you draw a spectrum and are basically wavetable synths like serum, these are the most common. Then there's ones with macro controls over partials like razor, pigments, falcon. Ones with modulation controls for individual partials like msoundfactory. FFT synths like harmor are probably in their own category too, and maybe there are other types I'm missing. It would be great to have a synth that combines these, eg drawing a spectrum and then having macro controls to alter it. This already sort of exists with stuff like the spectral fx in zebra or vital, but I don't think there's anything like this with macro controls as powerful as razor or falcon.

N__K wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:21 am
Nug Wrangler wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm ah i see. Morphine is a better choice then
In the sense of it being more of a "true additive" than Sytrus, indeed.

In the sense of Morphine vs. Harmor, then perhaps no, because Harmor can do much more. It's got more partials (Morphine's 128 vs. Harmor's 516) and plenty of modules for quick abstracted control over them. Morphine lacks those kinds of modules altogether, though in its menus some useful functions may be found.

In other words, Morphine can be good for getting an initial grasp of the idea behind dynamic additive synthesis. Harmor in turn offers many more options, wider sound design capabilities and useful layers of abstraction on top of that.
Indeed.
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

j wazza wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:49 pmNo worries, I haven't heard of Oscar
What?! Oh, you should definitely check out the emulation of the mighty OSCar.

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/imposcar2/
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I am curious about people take on alchemy and its additive capability

I wasn't a big fan of it.. but Dark Synth (https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/dark-synth/)

Never sounded as sharp as Razor to me (no pun intended 😅), does up to 2048 partials, maybe?

Used to kill my CPU when I got it 8 years ago!

Also... UVI does amazing vsts of the Kawai series of additive synths, including the k5000, which I used to own and adore.. but I guess those are just well sampled versions of that series.

Also, a newer one I just found on google, called Generate (https://www.newfangledaudio.com/generate)

fisherking111 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:25 am Also, a newer one I just found on google, called Generate (https://www.newfangledaudio.com/generate)
I do not consider that additive in the sense that you are adding and manipulating partials. Rather, it is a West-Coast Chaotic Waveshaping synth with an analog-modeled LPG or filter.

Is amaranth audio cycle classifiable in additive synthetizers?
It is rich in settings with the possibility of layering, IR convolution import.

https://www.amaranthaudio.com/products/cycle/
peace and love for all.

Grodada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:32 am Is amaranth audio cycle classifiable in additive synthetizers?

I think no one mentioned it because it’s abandonware - last update in my account is Jan 2015 - sadly

Korg Supporter wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:13 am
fisherking111 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:25 am Also, a newer one I just found on google, called Generate (https://www.newfangledaudio.com/generate)
I do not consider that additive in the sense that you are adding and manipulating partials. Rather, it is a West-Coast Chaotic Waveshaping synth with an analog-modeled LPG or filter.
That's correct.
But it's an aweful cool and interesting sounding synth.
Therefore this post can be seen as an honourable mention aimed at progressive musicians. :tu:

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:07 am
Grodada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:32 am Is amaranth audio cycle classifiable in additive synthetizers?

I think no one mentioned it because it’s abandonware - last update in my account is Jan 2015 - sadly
it is in a way abandoned, i contacted the developer and he responded. due to circumstances (a problem for more indepent developers, as we here on KVR, or elsewhere), he had to left it, but still has ideas, and want to have to time to work on it. but alas no time.

he advice to wait (i.e. not to buy it..).

a pity, it is a great synth.

so in a way, i don't the developer will have time, the coming years, but not out of lack of interest, live took over...

Return to “Instruments”