SJ_Digriz wrote:
chokehold wrote:
Ch00rD wrote::D

Here's a little Bob Marley #songsincode cover for you:

Code: Select all

if (!Diva) {
    cry = 0;
}
To stay true to the whole Diva motto, you need to make the drama less rational and more direct:

cry = Diva ? 0 : 1;
;)
aren't those backwards .. shouldn't cry be 1 if not Diva?
The first example is backwards.

cry = Diva ? 0 : 1; is correct though, as it's identical to if(Diva) { cry = 0; } else { cry = 1; }

I just really hope that people cry tears of joy then :clown:

Urs wrote:I just really hope that people cry tears of joy then :clown:
Are we there already? :o
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Not yet... hence the confusion about truth and causality...

Urs wrote:
fmr wrote:
Not yet... hence the confusion about truth and causality...
There is no spoon
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Naiw wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
chokehold wrote:

if (!Diva) {
    cry = 0;
}
To stay true to the whole Diva motto, you need to make the drama less rational and more direct:

;)
The first example is backwards.

cry = Diva ? 0 : 1; is correct though, as it's identical to if(Diva) { cry = 0; } else { cry = 1; }
Actually, the first code snippet is correct, because the poster tied it to Bob Marley ("No Women No Cry"; "No Diva No Cry")

The ?: construct missed the song title, and also isn't correct usage, since there is no additional song "Yes Women Yes Cry", which that code snippet would require.

Just to be a bit pedantic...

SJ_Digriz wrote:
chokehold wrote:

if (!Diva) {
    cry = 0;
}

;)
Yeah, perhaps. :) But the lyrics of the original always confused me as well. I remember first hearing the track as a small kid when I barely understood English, and wondered why Bob didn't sing "no woman, don't cry" or "no woman, cry." The former made more sense to me as a matter of grammar, the latter seemed more logical. Although I have learned a few things since then, I still haven't mastered (Jamaican) English nor do I fully understand the causal relationship(s) between women and crying. So I still don't know, really. I guess it's ok to be a bit more sloppy in lyrics for reggae music than in code. ;)

ah, never heard of the song ... my bad for missing the reference. Internet 1 SJD 0

Surely you've heard the COPS theme though. :hihi:

VitaminD wrote:Surely you've heard the COPS theme though. :hihi:
no .. ? is that an album? I'm not into reggae..

geez, I just googled it ... I don't do reality TV, f**king stain on humanity.

Ch00rD wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
chokehold wrote:

if (!Diva) {
    cry = 0;
}

;)
Yeah, perhaps. :) But the lyrics of the original always confused me as well. I remember first hearing the track as a small kid when I barely understood English, and wondered why Bob didn't sing "no woman, don't cry" or "no woman, cry." The former made more sense to me as a matter of grammar, the latter seemed more logical. Although I have learned a few things since then, I still haven't mastered (Jamaican) English nor do I fully understand the causal relationship(s) between women and crying. So I still don't know, really. I guess it's ok to be a bit more sloppy in lyrics for reggae music than in code. ;)

Using double negatives is common in the ghettos (Both in the USA as well as Jamaica apparently) ... I think it could have started out as an educational issue (at least in the U.S.) but has become more of a cultural trait. I even see people who were educated proper grammar as children, ending up in the ghettos or around people who came from the ghettos and they use the same slang (I suppose to fit in?!). It is interesting and heartbreaking at the same time to me..

so 'No woman, no cry' is 'Woman, don't cry' in actuality.

SJ_Digriz wrote:geez, I just googled it ... I don't do reality TV, f**king stain on humanity.

Wow.. it was on TV for over 2 decades (25 seasons!) :lol: I expected the Americans on the site as having a better chance of catching it.

I feel like it is Christmas Eve and Santa is very, very late.
I look out the window and no Diva, where's Diva, I want my Diva, oh where's my Diva 1.3
I've been a good boy this year considering.. :shock:

Return to “u-he”