bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

leeleema wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:04 pm bx-oberhausen is quite simply one of the best soft synths I've ever used. In terms of simplicity, features, design, effects and most of all, sound quality, it's a really well thought out and executed vst. No doubt they took their cues from the Arturia version but I think it is a very refined release. Admittedly, I had very low expectations - it was hard to get excited about yet another VA, but I really think they've nailed it. Even the presets are great.
Wot 'e said! This is definitely one of my faves. It's better suited to our sound than Obsession and it is surprisingly versatile, so it gets a lot more use than I thought it would.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Muziksculp wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:48 pm Hi,

I finally got bx_Oberhausen Synth today from Plugin Alliance, at $49.99 :) via discount voucher they emailed me, it's available for one day only. Today (8/16/2020) at this price with the voucher.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Good Deal...

Tonight I've been playing around with this again, just for the hell of it, and my Dog it sounds good! As in ridiculously good. The sound quality shines through pretty much every preset. I've never heard anything that comes close to the bottom end I can get from this without even having to try. It is truly phenomenal. I've tried to do some of the things I can do with it using the SEM set-up in Arturia's Analog Lab and, while it does sound really good, it doesn't go as far as bx_oberhausen.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Its Bones inducing
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:15 pm Its Bones inducing
I'm not sure this makes sense? :D

It even has a little Maag air band as one of the effects. Quality

leeleema wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:38 pm It even has a little Maag air band as one of the effects. Quality
To compare to the modern OB-6, you really, really need to use it, too. The stock sound of oberhausen is very dark and smooth (and more flat). Of course, that's also one reason why it's complimentary to the hardware synth, as well. :tu:

You'd have to have rocks in your head to fork out five-and-a-half grand on an OB-6 (four grand for the desktop) when you can have this for less than Au$50. (Yes, an OB-6 costs Au$5499 here, which is Au$300 more than I paid for my brand new Trinity with the MOSS board, SCSI kit and sampling option, back in 1998.)

Less than 50? *trots off to plugin boutique to see what's what*
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

You need to go to Plugin Alliance for this.

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 am You'd have to have rocks in your head to fork out five-and-a-half grand on an OB-6 (four grand for the desktop) when you can have this for less than Au$50. (Yes, an OB-6 costs Au$5499 here, which is Au$300 more than I paid for my brand new Trinity with the MOSS board, SCSI kit and sampling option, back in 1998.)
Except for the fact that an OB-6 isn't going to sound like this? I don't understand why people keep bringing up the OB-6 in these conversations when it's nothing like the original SEM instruments. C'mon people. From this respect you're totally right, why would you fork out thousands of dollars to get the sound of a plugin. The answer of course is you wouldn't.

But plenty do and what's worse is they pay it for a poor sounding plugin/synth (anything with a ladder filter).

rezoneight wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:46 pm
BONES wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 am You'd have to have rocks in your head to fork out five-and-a-half grand on an OB-6 (four grand for the desktop) when you can have this for less than Au$50. (Yes, an OB-6 costs Au$5499 here, which is Au$300 more than I paid for my brand new Trinity with the MOSS board, SCSI kit and sampling option, back in 1998.)
Except for the fact that an OB-6 isn't going to sound like this? I don't understand why people keep bringing up the OB-6 in these conversations when it's nothing like the original SEM instruments. C'mon people. From this respect you're totally right, why would you fork out thousands of dollars to get the sound of a plugin. The answer of course is you wouldn't.
Um. Because it IS like SEM? I think you're full of it when you say "nothing like" when they are like. Not alike. But clearly and definitely like. And because oberhausen sounds more like an OB-6 than any other plugin? Because they make a complimentary team? And because people are curious?

So, really, for a lot of good reasons. Thanks. I can go on.

I have both and feel I can make any comparison thereof I feel like. You're free to ignore them.

Also, people still happily fork out thousands for synths that have plugins that sound like them.

@vitocorleone123: If you have the time, means, and inclination, I'd be happy to hear some comparison demos between your OB-6 and Oberhausen. I'm always interested in stuff like that. :)

chk071 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:22 pm @vitocorleone123: If you have the time, means, and inclination, I'd be happy to hear some comparison demos between your OB-6 and Oberhausen. I'm always interested in stuff like that. :)
I won't say no. I'll make a post-it note and see if I can get to something basic this weekend.

The core tone of the oscillators can be matched up pretty well, though the knobs are not anywhere near the same positions - I think somewhere earlier in the pages of this thread I remarked on a couple of comparative bits.

Once you start moving other knobs around, they become more and more different (even excluding effects).

Return to “Instruments”