Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How much power do you need?

I've been very happy with my Yamaha THR10 - C thru the years. Yes it's all sim (..line 6) I like that it has gain, master and guitar out level.

I maxed out with guitars in the early 90's with 60. Sold the lions share to start a studio that failed. After that I could rotate 15 guitars nicely. Now it's down to four.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I don't need a lot of power, but I want teh TUBE TONE. I have a Blackheart Killer Ant <1w, and I can't stand it. I'll be selling it. I also have a Peavey Classic 30 combo, which is fine, but a bit loud, and it is a 110v American model, which requires me to use a step-up transformer to 220v, which isn't really practical for gigging, or, sadly, for selling. Basically, I want a nice clean channel with a bit of 'oomph,' everything else is gravy. I am sceptical about the hybrid Super Champ, but I have 30 days to return it, no questions asked. I just want to be able to play in my livingroom with the lights down, and no 27" iMac screen turning night into day. I sold my BOSS GT-10, because it lit up like a freaking Starship control panel with no way to attenuate the light. It also almost killed me, but that is another story.

Sadly, no way I'd be happy with 4 guitars. I've played out the scenario of 'what can I live without?' and I can get it down to about 9, + bass. I don't want to, though. 19 is still a bit over the top.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

With the Classic 30, take out the outer 2 power tubes, then cut and remove all the pins from those tubes except for pins 4 and 5. Carefully reinstall them in the correct orientation and your amp will now be running at half power.

You can also have someone install a pentode/triode switch for you. Combined with the mod above, you’ll now be down to around 25-30% of the output. The tech can fix the the voltage for you while they’re in there. Better yet, have the tech install a post phase inverter master volume, which will allow you to keep most of the tone when turned down and keep all of the tone when turned all the way up.

Finally, you could try installing an inefficient speaker, which will be both quieter and possibly even better sounding. A Jensen P12R or P12Q would be great. Personally, I like to play around with impedances (use 4 ohm for more volume or 16 ohm for less volume) but it would be irresponsible of me to recommend anyone else do that. IOW, proceed at your own risk.

I've got the cash together for a deposit on a custom Brook acoustic. Or I could visit them and the stores that sell their guitars in the UK, and if I tried a few and fell in love with one, buy it on the spot, (after I'd saved up enough). I am kind of at a loss at the moment. Custom order something "perfect" (Yew back and sides anyone?), but pay a bit more, have to wait 10 months, and never be able to try it out before getting it, OR buy one off the shelf, maybe a little cheaper, but at least get to try it first and take it home with me there and then? In no hurry right now, so just biding my time!

Getting to play many different ones and choose the best of them has a lot of value. Statistically speaking, you’ll more likely wind up with a better instrument than you would if you go the custom route.

Yeah, it's a conundrum for sure! Ideally I'd be able to play loads of their different models and then decide on the perfect custom jobby, but they make less than 100 guitars a year and even their workshop and the shops that sell them usually have no more than 3 or 4 in stock at any one time.

BTW, OT, but where is the best place to advertise a second hand electric on KVR? I have a Fender American Elite Stratocaster (2017, Aged Cherry Burst, Rosewood Fingerboard) I want to let go to raise money for this new acoustic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plus, even if you settle on the perfect attributes, there’s no telling if the wood used will be as good as the ones you played.

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Yeah...but where is the best place to advertise a second hand electric on KVR? I have a Fender American Elite Stratocaster (2017, Aged Cherry Burst, Rosewood Fingerboard) I want to let go to raise money for this new acoustic.
what ? ; that's too bad - I remember you were very excited to get that Strat . . .

I'd recommend using Reverb.com for an instrument of that caliber
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Thank you, I'll check it out. Yes, she's a SUPERB guitar, I am just way more focused on acoustic these days, and already have a Tele that I love.

[EDIT - listed on reverb.com, thanks for the recommendation!)

I've got an idea in my head for a next guitar but it's not my area of expertise. I'm thinking about a smaller (deep body) nylon string a/e guitar like those favored by Brazilian traditional Bossa Nova players. I have no idea what brands / models I should be looking at.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Sounds cool! I dug around and found a brand called Di Giorgio out of Sau Paolo, Brazil:

This one sold for $100 on eBay and that fretboard is (no surprise) Brazilian rosewood:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1976-Di- ... 2856387376

I picked up a Lag Tramontane nylon strung guitar in mint (second hand) condition for only £45 on Ebay. Lovely guitar. Suberb sound.

So I'm buying.... A Recording King RPS-7-TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_N5i6teqE&t=29s

Expect to pay it off in 3 weeks even though they are dirt cheap. It's just bill time of the month.

I had an ROS-16, gorgeous guitar, even did a wedding gig with it. Couldn't get used to the V-neck, so I sold it. Hope you enjoy your new RK!
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”