The Great "Rhythm" Guitar Players?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MasonAtom wrote:Adam Jones from Tool.
Another nominee for best of the 90s... powerful stuff. :)

rp314 wrote:For those interested in what jazz guitarists can do behind a band, check out Freddie Green with Count Basie.
you hit the spot with that one.

Freddie Green rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYiDlOP4q1A

James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
Malcolm Young
Nile Rodgers
Pete Townshend
www.myspace.com/zonerband
ESOUNDZ USERNAME:zonercy

marvotron wrote:
rp314 wrote:For those interested in what jazz guitarists can do behind a band, check out Freddie Green with Count Basie.
you hit the spot with that one.

Freddie Green rules.
+1

+1, too, for Nile Rogers & Steve Croppper

Also the various Motown guitarists:

Robert White
Eddie Willis
Joe Messina
Dennis Coffey
Melvin Wah-Wah Watson

Bob Weir

marvotron wrote: you hit the spot with that one.

Freddie Green rules.
The ultimate rhythm guitarist. Even on his solo album there is another guitarist playing the leads.

Victor.

Ray White

Peter Buck - the sound of REM to me is pretty much the way he arpeggiates his chords.

J Mascis - probably more known as a lead player, but his chordal playing in songs like "Start Chopping" really grabs me. He has an interesting sense of rhythm.

Eric Bachmann/Eric Johnson - these guys were in a band called Archers of Loaf and they were kind of both rhythm players. Together their guitar parts were inventive and off-kilter. They made excellent use of dissonance and all the little weird noises that a guitar can make beyond just playing notes.

Elliot Smith - some really great acoustic playing. It suited his voice so well.

Mark Knopfler - excellent lead player as well, but just a supremely tasteful rhythm player and with gorgeous tone as well.

Hendrix - Yeah, he's god, but honestly it was never his lead playing that got me. This man could play chords like no other.

Thom Yorke.

I know keith richards has been said, but keith richards. not just his stones stuff, but also what he's done with tom waits (if you haven't listened to "big black mariah" off of rain dogs, please do so ASAP).

i'm glad mark knopfler was named too. "sultans of swing" is just... wow. same goes for hendrix, but is that really rhythm guitaring? it's kinda like everything at once, done better than everyone.

while on the one man army topic, ted leo is my favorite modern guitarist along with doug martsch. take any part from "hearts of oak" and you have a killer rhythm + lead.

britt daniels from spoon has got it going on. extremely rhythmic, crisp, and tight.

ian williams from don caballero, storm and stress, and now battles. he more or less plays lead parts as rhythms.

john mclaughlin (I pray that I spelled that right), especially on miles' tribute to jack johnson. some of the best rock guitar ever, and it's on a jazz album (oh, and his opening chords on "shhh/peaceful" from in a silent way are among my favorites).

john darnielle from the mountain goats has maintained my interest over a ton of songs, despite what at first sounds like simple playing.

finally, I'm too lazy to look it up, but on the punk side of things, whoever plays guitar for wire.

and chuck berry.

Antonis wrote:Nile Rodgers
+1 :tu:
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

I am very surprised that after skimming through the 6 pages
nobody mentioned FRANK ZAPPA.Now there you have a guitar genius..Just ask Steve Vai... :wink: It took several people to play his solos and guitar parts...Just listen to "Shut up and play your guitar"...

soundklinik33 wrote:I am very surprised that after skimming through the 6 pages
nobody mentioned FRANK ZAPPA.Now there you have a guitar genius..Just ask Steve Vai... :wink: It took several people to play his solos and guitar parts...Just listen to "Shut up and play your guitar"...
They aren't mentionned because solo guitar geniuses like Zappa and Vai have no place in the RYTHM Guitar Gods thread.
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

Johnny Marr is probably one of the best rhythm guitarists ever--particularly his playing with The Smiths. Songs like "This Charming Man," "William, It's Really Nothing" really show off his amazing rhythm chops.

Return to “Music Theory”