Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:53 pm Works fine here, Windows 10, Bitwig Studio 4.3 Beta 6
The error you see looks weird - are you sure you haven't somehow messed with locations on installation or are still using an old link?

You could try to delete all cache files and index files (not the other stuff!) in
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Bitwig Studio

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks Tom! No messing with locations, no old link. (Using Surge clap nightly without problems)
Deleted clap index file and restarted. Bit hesitant to delete further cache & index, but I will experiment some more.

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:05 pmOdd that a new plugin format designed to free both developers and users from forced Standards would dictate an install location.
It's not odd at all - it's a good practice to have an enforced install location, as it was proven time and time again that VST2 was super messy about this, and nobody wanted to repeat that mistake. Besides, you don't get a custom path for AAX or AU either, and you don't see anyone throwing a fit because of that. There's very good reasons to do this.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:05 pm Odd that a new plugin format designed to free both developers and users from forced Standards would dictate an install location.

It's true developers tend to use different default locations in their installers like Steinberg or Program Files/ VST and good installers read the registry entry, but with VST2 plugins we can create a custom folder and if the installer doesn't read the registry entry we can manually install to our custom location.

On this system my VST plugins reside on the D: drive so if CLAP forces install to the C: drive that is not a step forward.
Like before, it's for the devs and their installers to decide if they offer custom locations.
In Bitwig, you can set as many VST and/or Clap locations as you like.
But there IS as standard location and that is a good thing, the mess with VST2 isn't needed again.
You can always drag them out afterwards if you really need to.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Or better - use a symbolic link from your wanted location to the standard-defined location. If you so must.

Moving things out manually is never a good thing. People forget to do that again when updating a plugin, then they wonder why they just updated but plugin is still the old version. Symlink automatically sorts this out - the installer sees the standard-defined location, but the plugin(s) actually get installed to wherever else you want. If you're so inclined.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuralBee wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:15 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:53 pm Works fine here, Windows 10, Bitwig Studio 4.3 Beta 6
The error you see looks weird - are you sure you haven't somehow messed with locations on installation or are still using an old link?

You could try to delete all cache files and index files (not the other stuff!) in
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Bitwig Studio

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks Tom! No messing with locations, no old link. (Using Surge clap nightly without problems)
Deleted clap index file and restarted. Bit hesitant to delete further cache & index, but I will experiment some more.
Ah, after deleting the clap index file, I pressed ' reindex' in Bitwig: fixed!

AuralBee wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:15 pm Thanks Tom! No messing with locations, no old link. (Using Surge clap nightly without problems)
Everything in "Cache" and "Index" is recreated on rescan (had to do it a lot recently because of a bug in Beta 5) - those don't contain any user generated content.
The rescan of course takes longer.
Both Surge XT and Odin 2 work nicely here as Clap, so it "should" work. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Edit: Just saw your reply, awesome! :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:05 pmOdd that a new plugin format designed to free both developers and users from forced Standards would dictate an install location.
It's not odd at all - it's a good practice to have an enforced install location, as it was proven time and time again that VST2 was super messy about this, and nobody wanted to repeat that mistake. Besides, you don't get a custom path for AAX or AU either, and you don't see anyone throwing a fit because of that. There's very good reasons to do this.
No it's a terrible practice and no one is "throwing a fit". Have you ever heard anyone complain that VST2 gives us options?

I want to decide where my plugins are installed just like I have for many years. I don't want developers telling me where they think my plugins should go. It's really that simple.

Then CLAP is no better than VST3 and no I don't want to hear about symbolic links. If CLAP forces install to the C: Drive then that's a mistake. Period.

So that wizz bang new format that's supposed to free us from Steinberg's draconian control thinks it should have control over our systems.

Ok whatever..... :roll:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

On Windows AVG reacts suspicious to the installer, gives a warning for a bad file in the app data Temp folder
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:27 pmNo it's a terrible practice and no one is "throwing a fit".
You are. Right in that very post. :D

Hahahahaha

CLAP does not dictate a path per sé. I guess the community had some recommendations for now, dunno, but I'm very certain that our command line tools have loaded CLAP plug-ins from wherever they are.

In any case, today CLAP is pretty much -1 days old, it'll be born tomorrow. The broader vision goes beyond the question of file paths, and I'm sure it'll be addressed in time.

If the plugin's functionality isn't dependent on it being in some hardcoded path, then at least give us an option. Most users probably will install in a default/standard location, and that's fine. Let the rest of us (control freaks) install the plugins wherever we please. Best of both worlds, and everyone's happy :D

muki wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:14 pm unfortunately the AU does not validate in logicX 10.5.1 under mojave (10.14.6)

in hostingAU it is listed, but upon loading it has a white, empty window

something new in the graphics library ? (pure speculation...)
Find the updated version here. If you (or someone with MacOS 10.14 or older) could report back if it works I'd be grateful :tu:
martiu wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:42 pm On Windows AVG reacts suspicious to the installer, gives a warning for a bad file in the app data Temp folder
Yeah, we've had this before it's a false positive. All installers are built on freshly created OS images in the cloud. New installers tend to be under fire by anti virus software :wink:

Paul Eye wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pmLet the rest of us (control freaks) install the plugins wherever we please.
But as mentioned, you already have a method to install things wherever you want with symlinks?

TheWaveWarden wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:24 pm Find the updated version here.
:tu:

yes! validating and working now! :-)))

thank you!

:party:
Last edited by muki on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”