About CLAP

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

baconpaul wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:48 pm That is what I’ve been saying from the start :)
No worries. I get there in the end. Eventually. :lol:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I might be fashionably late to the party on this one just in case this question has already been asked here, but I'm wondering what the advantages of a CLAP effect plugin might be. Is it possible for CLAP effects to take advantage of the polyphonic modulation or maybe thread-pooling? Super curious about this.

Sound Author wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:31 pm I might be fashionably late to the party on this one just in case this question has already been asked here, but I'm wondering what the advantages of a CLAP effect plugin might be. Is it possible for CLAP effects to take advantage of the polyphonic modulation or maybe thread-pooling? Super curious about this.
The non destructive modulation works monophonixalkg also and is useful! As is thread pool open standard event queue etc

Sound Author wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:31 pm I might be fashionably late to the party on this one just in case this question has already been asked here, but I'm wondering what the advantages of a CLAP effect plugin might be. Is it possible for CLAP effects to take advantage of the polyphonic modulation or maybe thread-pooling? Super curious about this.
I wonder if a CLAP FX Plugin could make use of Bitwig's Voice Stacking like the FX Grid does?

IIRC voice stacking is only for instruments?

Technically, CLAP does not distinguish between effects and instruments, other than the meta data. So it's possible to create effects with a concept of voices. I could think of a few examples, but I haven't done this yet.

I would LOVE a polyphonic distortion effect similar to that in Repro-5. We could go bananas with per-voice waveshaping.

Urs wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:27 pm Technically, CLAP does not distinguish between effects and instruments, other than the meta data. So it's possible to create effects with a concept of voices. I could think of a few examples, but I haven't done this yet.
I imagine the host would also need to support this concept, but I'd love to see this widely adopted. I could imagine synth plugins that offered the ability to process each voice via unique outputs, and similarly, filter plugins (as just one obvious example) with multiple inputs that could receive and process those voices individually. Note data could be passed along down the chain as well for triggering Envs (though I don't think that aspect would be unique to CLAP). Would be killer for distortion/saturation effects too. Seems like that would open a lot of modular-like doors in a way that other plugin formats might not allow for.

Imagine adding U-he filters to non-U-he synths, and still having them operate on each individual voice! Then saying, "hey, let me try The Drop here instead."

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:07 pm
Urs wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:27 pm Technically, CLAP does not distinguish between effects and instruments, other than the meta data. So it's possible to create effects with a concept of voices. I could think of a few examples, but I haven't done this yet.
I imagine the host would also need to support this concept, but I'd love to see this widely adopted. I could imagine synth plugins that offered the ability to process each voice via unique outputs, and similarly, filter plugins (as just one obvious example) with multiple inputs that could receive and process those voices individually. Note data could be passed along down the chain as well for triggering Envs (though I don't think that aspect would be unique to CLAP). Would be killer for distortion/saturation effects too. Seems like that would open a lot of modular-like doors in a way that other plugin formats might not allow for.

Imagine adding U-he filters to non-U-he synths, and still having them operate on each individual voice! Then saying, "hey, let me try The Drop here instead."
Bitwig's FX Grid has voice stacking... but there is still only the regular audio in. It is not receiving individual audio streams for each voice from a synth.

That's actually one thing I was disappointed by when Bitwig released the Note Grid. I was hoping we would have access to each individual voice like with the voice modules in Reaktor: Voice Info, Voice Shift, From Voice, To Voice, etc. Perhaps we'll eventually get "Voice Grid" later on down the road.

I think there's still some confusion surrounding the use of polyphonic voices for parallel processing. That's obviously something that most people just don't think about...which is kind of sad when you consider how crucial per-voice modulations are to the overall character of instruments that people love. I think effects can benefit from per-voice modulations as well.

Of course, that would make the whole effects process polyphonic, which is CPU intensive. Maybe thread pooling can mitigate that somehow.

Sound Author wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:26 pm That's actually one thing I was disappointed by when Bitwig released the Note Grid. I was hoping we would have access to each individual voice like with the voice modules in Reaktor: Voice Info, Voice Shift, From Voice, To Voice, etc. Perhaps we'll eventually get "Voice Grid" later on down the road.
Yeah, that is an unfortunate limitation of Note Grid. Sometimes I use a Note FX Selector to round robin incoming notes onto different midi channels, then in Note Grid I can filter by channel with multiple Note In modules. But that is a pain...

Would CLAP allow for the creation of virtual FX loops? For example: someone creates a CLAP amp sim plugin, it has an FX loop Send (output 3) and Return (input 3) just like real amps that can be exposed to the DAW. In the DAW, the user can send Output 3 from the Clap plugin to a track with an FX Chain on it, then send output of that track to the Return (input 3) of the Clap plugin, putting that external FX Chain "inside the amp". Or replace amp sim in this with a delay that would allow you to send/return the feedback path to external FX.

Might get tricky with latency compensation but could be a neat feature.

Rui Capela's linux qtractor daw has had CLAP support since v0.9.27,
and 0.9.28 came out recently.
Cheers

Congrats on the NAMM TEC Award nomination! :party:

https://www.tecawards.org/node/1970

Production Essentials
Genelec - GLM V4.2 GRADE Report
Merging Technologies - Ovation 10
Other World Computing - OWC Flex iU4
Radial Engineering - Power-1
Rational Acoustics - SMAART 8.5 Audio Analysis Software
U-he and Bitwig - CLAP