Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm
LeVzi wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:31 pm Well that killed it, but the factory presets in Pigments aren't killing my CPU. I was under the impression it was a CPU killer from the get go.
It isn't.
Of course they aren't going to make the factory presets CPU hungry. I don't have any trouble running Pigments but it is one of the most CPU demanding synths I own.
Well just messing about with it , doesn't seem crazy CPU heavy , I've got an ensemble that would make your CPU bleed if you think this is bad.

I like it anyway , will get into it more when I get the transfer for it though.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm Of course they aren't going to make the factory presets CPU hungry
Tell that to AAS, Chromaphone 3 is full of CPU killing factory presets

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:09 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 pm Of course they aren't going to make the factory presets CPU hungry
Running smoothly on Apple Silicon :)

Fleer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:13 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:09 pm
Running smoothly on Apple Silicon :)
I don't f**king give a shit

Are you safe?

Anyone complaining that next gen soft synths are CPU hogs probably needs to consider upgrading their previous gen hardware. Or stick to the previous gen soft synths that were developed for their older hardware.

The computer hardware/software development cycle runs fairly close in step, so there will be some limits to how far you can stretch an older machine with intent to use the latest software. It is what it is.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Nope, that's just an excuse for lazy coding. My CPU came out barely 3 years ago.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm Nope, that's just an excuse for lazy coding

Fleer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm Nope, that's just an excuse for lazy coding
See, the perfect Sunday response!

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm Nope, that's just an excuse for lazy coding.
Lazy and coding are kind of mutually exclusive.

Anyway, Pigments is pretty heavy when it comes to CPU, that's true. But then, most modern wavetable synths are.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm Nope, that's just an excuse for lazy coding. My CPU came out barely 3 years ago.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

:tu:
chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:31 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm Nope, that's just an excuse for lazy coding.
I've been a paid programmer for 20+ years. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Lazy coding is copy pasting a load of pre-built code as opposed to spending ages refining code to find efficiencies, perhaps rebuilding it from the ground up. AAS doubled the layers in Chromaphone 3 over v2 and the CPU load (at least) doubled on presets that had the 2x layers. Doesn't take a genius to work out how they did it, maybe they're the equivalent of script kiddies just reusing a plugin framework they don't have deep control over?
I know we've veered off topic, but it galls me that we now have these fantastically powerful processors, even ones several generations old, and they're brought to their knees by inefficient code. The solution then becomes "Buy processor X, the answer to your prayers".

Are you safe?

chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:31 pm

Anyway, Pigments is pretty heavy when it comes to CPU, that's true. But then, most modern wavetable synths are.
I find the Wavetable on Pigments fine, its the Granular and Additive engines, particularly when lots of partials are used that hoover up my CPU resources.

zzz00m wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:23 pm Anyone complaining that next gen soft synths are CPU hogs probably needs to consider upgrading their previous gen hardware. Or stick to the previous gen soft synths that were developed for their older hardware.
My studio system runs an i7 8700K 6 Core 12 Thread that turbos at 4.7GHz.

Certainly not state of the art today but it will run anything that I throw at it. However the point is if you've got a synth that uses 10% CPU and one that uses 30% and the patches sound relatively the same it really doesn't make sense to grab the one that's more demanding.

Like I said Pigments' CPU Demand to Quality Ratio is a bit too high in my opinion. I kind of bought it on a whim and truth be told probably wouldn't buy it again. But perhaps Arturia will work on demand in future versions so I'll hold on to it for awhile. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:38 pm I've been a paid programmer for 20+ years.
Have you ever been called lazy?
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:38 pm Lazy coding is copy pasting a load of pre-built code
Right, no developer ever did that in his life.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”