Waves Scheps Omni Channel

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Scheps Omni Channel

Growing the perfect beard – Interview with Andrew Scheps.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Who is this clown?

fVk.kVr wrote:Who is this clown?
This "clown" is more successful than you could ever dream of being!

Aloysius wrote:Growing the perfect beard – Interview with Andrew Scheps.
Thinking Outside the Box, Inside the Box - with Andrew Scheps

gosh we are clever (:

I feel like a Schweppes ginger beer now for some weird reason too...

Andrew Scheps is such an eloquent speaker, I just love to listen to him talking :)

Tried the plugin for a very short time, not yet sure i want to keep all that waves central stuff on my computer for just one plugin i own. Or maybe I fear that I would buy more waves plugins since I already have it anyways...

Darn, Mr Scheps. I have been avoiding Waves’ ”named after famous engineer” -plugins, as they usually feel too black-boxish and/or something that I could maybe try once and then forget. But watching the video and listening to his lovely voice, he has some good arguments there, and it’s nice to hear about the thinking behind the plugin. If only I could use _any_ (non-Waves) plugin in the insert slot... but of course I can always use the plugin twice (pre/post) and insert any plugins in between. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to demo it!

I don't get the hype about this. It's an okay channel, but nothing exceptional. It sounds decent.

I'd much rather use e.g. DDMF 6144, Klanghelm SDRR2 + some compressor and transient shaper of choice etc.

The pre and gate on this were the best parts. Both actually quite good. The EQ and compressor (and the final limiter) on the other hand I found to be nothing to write home about.

Haven't tried the bx_console, might have a look. Brainworx generally is very high-quality stuff. If the channels are SSL models, then they're probably much better buys than the Omni Channel. I mostly use just SSL channel strips.

Also, the new Acustica channel strips are getting rave reviews. Knowing how fantastic Nebula is, they're probably pretty good. And they're priced about the same as the Omni Channel.

soundmodel wrote:I don't get the hype about this. It's an okay channel, but nothing exceptional. It sounds decent.
Also, the new Acustica channel strips are getting rave reviews. Knowing how fantastic Nebula is, they're probably pretty good. And they're priced about the same as the Omni Channel.
Really, which Acustica channel strip I can get for $ 38? And what about the CPU usage of the Acustica products? :?: :arrow: :scared:

Harry_HH wrote:
soundmodel wrote:I don't get the hype about this. It's an okay channel, but nothing exceptional. It sounds decent.
Really, which Acustica channel strip I can get for $ 38? And what about the CPU usage of the Acustica products? :?: :arrow: :scared:
The normal price of Omni is $149.

I've just purchased this plugin and really enjoying trying it out on my mixes. Unbelievable value for everything it does - especially with the intro offer and discount codes!

Please could someone tell me what 'PA' stands for in 'PA Default' under Full Reset in the Factory Presets, and what purpose would you use it for?

I've noticed it my Waves C4 plugin too.
PA Default.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soundmodel wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:
The normal price of Omni is $149.
In the Wave´s case, the normal "normal" is $ 49. But I´ve never seen Acusticas products in sale (only some tiny launching special price reduction limited time), and not even distributed via the dealers.
This all means, that you pay a full price and the VAT for the Acusticas stuff. This makes it about 5 x more expensive than the Waves. If the quality/price -relation is OK, then everything are happy, I guess.

Please could someone tell me what 'PA' stands for in 'PA Default' under Full Reset in the Factory Presets, and what purpose would you use it for?
I've heard of PA standing for Public Address as in PA system or PA speaker, but I wondered what this PA Default setting is for, that also appears in a lot of other Waves plugins.

I apologise in advance for such a newbie question, but it's been on my mind ever since buying the Scheps Omni Channel. I've checked the pdf manual and searched the internet on forums though I've been unable to find any explanation anywhere. I've even contacted Waves support, but as yet I haven't had a reply.

Does anyone know what it means and what it does?

Just testing it...

What do you think about the 'pre' module? I find that the saturation sound pretty good on bass sounds with odd or even and actually better in many cases as my SDRR2. The SDRR2 lose a bit of clear hights, they get dirty in comparision. With the 'pre' is stays cleaner and more natural sounding while having the same 'umpf' added.

Is the saturation a reason to get this? HAve you compared other saturators against this omni channel? The other modus are fine but would not be a reason to get this. I'm just thinking because of the 'pre' module for saturating bass sounds in a pleasant way. Hmmm

I'd much rather use e.g. DDMF 6144, Klanghelm SDRR2 + some compressor and transient shaper of choice etc.

The pre and gate on this were the best parts. Both actually quite good. The EQ and compressor (and the final limiter) on the other hand I found to be nothing to write home about.

Haven't tried the bx_console, might have a look. Brainworx generally is very high-quality stuff. If the channels are SSL models, then they're probably much better buys than the Omni Channel. I mostly use just SSL channel strips.

It's more about flexibility and workflow, complete with sound quality and low latency at a low price point.

There are plenty of channel strips out there, it isn't new, many introduce latency so you can't use them live or track through them, so that's a problem.

Many channel strips don't have a preamp section, if they do, its a simple one color choice with a more or less dial. The Omni gives you three options, plus filters that are tied to the preamp section and not the eq, clever choice there. Oh and theres a resonant bump feature.

So already it has gone where no other channel strips have.

It has a dedicated deesser, again many channel strips don't offer this. But then the frequency selection and Q settings give you so many options it can be used for more than just deesing. Not to mention the you get 2 of these babies. You don't really see this feature anywhere.

The eq has 3 discrete Q characteristics, again giving us more choice in how we would like to mix here.

The compressor is not one but 3 different models, specially designed so we can switch between circuits for easy comparison, eliminating the need to readjust threshold and output settings every time.

So true. many of these features can come from our different eq selections, compressor selections, our choice of deesser, gate, we could feel change their order in the DAW and manually setup a sidechain whenever we feel the need. This is all very possible.

...but at the expense of time and latency.

The fact this all comes pre packaged and relating effects is simple as sliding the modules around, it offers us a very fast method of workflow, while also giving us enough creative options we should feel less need to have to dive out of the channel strip to use another plugin. However, if we did, there is a slot for at least one more Waves plugin to help fill that gap.

It's the brainchild of Andrew Scheps who is very accomplished and is indeed no slouch when it comes to mixing. That guy knows what he's doing. His magical ears are behind this thing. Of course he can't program, so he's had Waves people help him out on it, since they have been so gracious to help him out on other projects in the past.

It's designed for speed, creative choice and maximum flexibility. The sound quality is certainly there, it's quite comparable with other choices on the market, it just has a much more flexible tonal range.

Plus, right now, its on sale. At $50, for a channel strip that goes where no other does, it's certainly a bit of a no-brainer that people have been jumping on.

...That's what people are finding special about it.

Return to “Effects”