Phase Plant... Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phase Plant

anomandaris1 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:39 pmBut you probably need to hit some acoustic research articles on synthesis (JSTOR or similar academic sites). I don't really care about growls or other noises; this thing should be very good for pseudo acoustic instruments (stuff like FM8 and Sytrus etc also can get somewhat close).
WIth FM/PM you don't need filters... idk what is with this obsession over filters.
Well, some of us want to make some music after the sound design part. I tried making one synth and few effects in Reaktor and it was amazing, but so consuming I haven't made any music in that time. Making pseudo-acoustic stuff is almost an academical activity. That's for the big brains. :) Rest of us want to make some nice texture, throw a good filter on top of it (hence the obsession with filters) and continue to make music. :)
mxbf wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:43 pm Only problem is interesting didn't seem to lead to good sounds yet for me. I may try again.
Similar experience so far. I can dial some usable sounds, the mentioned growls are really cool. ...but other than that, nothing I'd write home about yet. I still think it's the question of the filter design. I mean come on. No selection between 12 and 24? Also, side note, why isn't there a gain knob on the distrotion output?

It's these little things. I always open PhasePlant, have absolutely amazing time with the oscilator modulations and then when I want to turn that into something musical, all these little quirks start to bug me. You have to add EQ for variable slopes on LP filter. You have to add gain node after distortion. You have to draw three points for every step in a step sequence. You have to create separate envelope for LFO to rise. At that point I'm almost saluting Falcon for it's GUI ... and let's face it Falcon has a terrible layout, but filter module has all the controls you need. Distortion modules have their gain knobs. It has a step sequencer. ... and so on. I know, it's apples to oranges, but still. There's a big room for improvement. And I'm almost worried what a beast will became out of PhasePlant once they address all the feedback. 👌 ...but for now, I'm still on the verge of passing. Only the oscilator section keeps me tempted.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

after all the trash I've talked I think I'm gonna sub for a month so I can make a track tonight for the one synth challenge. for fun.

i can't stop thinking about this synth for some reason and my curiosity is about to get the better of me. i just have to try it again.

mxbf wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:06 pm after all the trash I've talked I think I'm gonna sub for a month so I can make a track tonight for the one synth challenge. for fun.

i can't stop thinking about this synth for some reason and my curiosity is about to get the better of me. i just have to try it again.
I bought it yesterday and I’m very glad I did. Lots of possibilities with this synth.

the fun of playing with the modulation possibilities is just too enticing for me even if i don't feel its uhe tier programming or whatever.

i'll report back later on some thoughts

Oddly enough I feel like I'm making the "usual" modulations quicker in Serum. LFO is just there, you can start to fiddle with it right away. But the FM/PM stuff on Phaseplant is still awesome. I think it's enough to keep it installed in the "speciality synths" folder and re-subscribe once in a while for a bit of fun. I mean ... it's a price of a lunch or two for god's sake. :) But I guess I'm too used to Serum to fully replace it just yet. Though! ...if Kilohearts adds more filters, curve editting, init template editting and the "next/prev" arrows on WT selector, Serum might have quite a run for it's money in my setup.
Evovled into noctucat...

FarleyCZ wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:57 pm and the "next/prev" arrows on WT selector,
Doesn't need it. You preview wavetables (or samples) by just hovering over one in the list, then click if you want to load it. Much better/faster than next/prev buttons. :wink:
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:23 pmDoesn't need it. You preview wavetables (or samples) by just hovering over one in the list, then click if you want to load it. Much better/faster than next/prev buttons. :wink:
I know about it, but I guess my workflow is incompatible with this. I like to select a table, work on the patch, then, when the main logic of the patch is somehow working, I like to try few other tables. (With the arrows.) If the patch is changing in the promisting way, I'll do deeper search. If not, I like to go back (With the arrows.) ...and that step is in PP impossible if I haven't remembered the name and folder of the table. Sometimes I even edit the patch with the other table and then go try the original one. That excludes the global undo function too. 😶
Evovled into noctucat...

...alright, I've just got confirmed by kilohearts that a lot of the gripes I had are actually planned to be solved in the next update. Still no warm filter, but I kinda don't mind it. I've got plenty of other synths to step in if some color is needed. But these usability tweaks will make it a VERY competent synth in my opinion. I gues I'll keep that subscription going for a while. 😊
Evovled into noctucat...

I changed my mind after using it for the one synth challenge. I actually think this is a really good synth. Can't afford the pricetag but I might stay subbed to it.

FarleyCZ wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:28 pm ...alright, I've just got confirmed by kilohearts that a lot of the gripes I had are actually planned to be solved in the next update. Still no warm filter, but I kinda don't mind it. I've got plenty of other synths to step in if some color is needed. But these usability tweaks will make it a VERY competent synth in my opinion. I gues I'll keep that subscription going for a while. 😊
So... what have they told you about the next update, what´s going to be fixed/improved/implemented? 8)

Wavetable arrows, better LFOs with saving options, step sequencing, and filter slope switcher are confirmed. :)
Evovled into noctucat...

I would like msegs, slower lfo speed, and longer envelope delay time. 8)
ImageImageImageImage

I tested Phase Plant, because I intended to join OSC. I also have to say, that I think that PP is way too overprized. Escpecially the filters I think are very shitty. You even can't choose between 12 and 24 dB. OSC and effect routing capabilities are nice, but it is dubious, if you want and can profit in all sound patches from that. The only issue, where it shines are AM/FM/PM capabilities. These are outstanding. Nevertheless not obvious to me, where the USP in comparison to Rapid, Falcon, etc. should be to justify that price tag.

FarleyCZ wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:09 pm Wavetable arrows, better LFOs with saving options, step sequencing, and filter slope switcher are confirmed. :)
step sequencing is a great addition, i hope that update will be going live soon! now if only these guys came up with better filters... maybe cytomic could help out :phones:

SamDi wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 pm I tested Phase Plant, because I intended to join OSC. I also have to say, that I think that PP is way too overprized. Escpecially the filters I think are very shitty. You even can't choose between 12 and 24 dB. OSC and effect routing capabilities are nice, but it is dubious, if you want and can profit in all sound patches from that. The only issue, where it shines are AM/FM/PM capabilities. These are outstanding. Nevertheless not obvious to me, where the USP in comparison to Rapid, Falcon, etc. should be to justify that price tag.
Their bundle/pricing model seems to be their biggest obstacle indeed and basically works for customers who either already own the effects bundle (e.g. I got PP for around 80 Eur as a bundle upgrade, that´s a fair price) or who coincidentally want the VST/AU effects *and* the synth.

Most of those who are only interested in the synth and don´t need the VST/AU effects will likely find 350 Eur to be too expensive ... on the other hand PP relies on the 3 effects lanes heavily so it makes no sense to buy the 169 Eur version without effects either.

I´d guess that sales would go up quite a bit if they included all effects in a "Phase Plant intenal use only" version in PP´s base price, and then offered a $129 upgrade to VST/AU versions of all effects. But their mileage may vary - if it works for them, good for them.

Return to “Instruments”