Logic Pro 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oneway wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:49 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:31 pm I don't think I even own a DAW that's does count in on just playback. That doesn't make sense to me as you would normally want count in before you record not before you playback. Otherwise you'd just enable the metronome like normal during playback. Not sure this is a Logic specific thing. Ableton, Bitwig, Studio One, Reason, FLStudio etc all have the same limitations there.
Pro Tools has had it for ages. “Count Off” gets used all the time there, plus they have a dedicated Playback Start marker. It’s very useful for rehearsing, practicing, or discussing especially when working with a group.

Pretty sure Studio One added it too, when they were going after PT users.
No. I don't see that option in Studio One. It has pre-count, pre-roll, you can set to count on play, but no option to count-in unless you click record. Maybe it's a macro?
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

machinesworking wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:39 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:42 pm
machinesworking wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:06 am I keep on wanting to go back to using Logic, but dammit I always run into some weird quirk it has that drives me nuts. The other "do everything" DAWs on my system do one simple intuitive thing with count-in and the metronome, they give you choices on when the click count in happens. So only while recording or only during count in, two IMO obvious variations on count in and metronomes.

I often want to play through a guitar part a few times before actually recording it, to get the timing right, which means a count in is more than useful, and I can't figure out how to get Logic to just metronome count in without recording.
You mean play only during count-in? Just click the metronome button which has a drop down, it has a an option ...Only During count-in. Turn on Click while recording. I'm going to be that guy but RTFM.
I read the manual and asked on the Logic forums, unfortunately you're going to be that other guy, the one who doesn't read through what someone wrote before jumping to conclusions. The option to click only during count in, does not exist without being in record mode. i.e. you cannot get a count in without recording audio or MIDI. In the drop down you see that Click only during count in is tied directly to recording, there's no way around it. This the same behavior you see in Live and Bitwig. On my system DP and Reaper both have an option to get a click count in when not recording, Logic does not.

I admit I didn't fully read your comment. Either way Logic allows for negative timeline. So you can set your song start time to -1 and add a metronome click there manually (using the klofpgeist instrument or just render the click). I actually like to use a looped drum part of the song to get a feel going. Not as easy as a check box but doable. Other than that if you need to get the timing during say a verse etc use precycle.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:35 pm I admit I didn't fully read your comment. Either way Logic allows for negative timeline. So you can set your song start time to -1 and add a metronome click there manually (using the klofpgeist instrument or just render the click). Not as easy as a check box but doable. Other than that if you need to get the timing during say a verse etc use precycle.
Asking this question at Logic Pro Help etc. the moderator recommended against using -1 start as a way around this, timing issues reported I guess?

Every DAW has some feature that's better or left out compared to others. I really like the free form tempo maps created from audio and MIDI not played to a metronome in Logic, that's an as far as I can tell completely unique feature in Logic. In any other DAW you have to do a hell of a lot of prep work to get the tempo to match unmetered audio. I don't think any other DAW does unmetered MIDI?

That negative timeline bit always screwed med up. I started just leaving a couple of bars at the beginning empty before starting the song. Then, a count-in at the the start is easier to set up to your taste.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I guess we know in a few hours if there is a logic update or not. anticipation over mac os samplr is real.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Yeah it depends where you live I guess. I might be asleep by then and will only know tomorrow. Or I might not be able to sleep because of the excitement. I’ll be very angry if there is nothing 😠

AI test, google bard

Logic 11 has not yet been announced, so we can only speculate about its possible new features. However, based on the latest trends in music production and the feedback from Logic users, here are some of the things we might see in the next version of Logic:

* Improved support for spatial audio and Dolby Atmos. Logic 10.7 introduced support for spatial audio and Dolby Atmos, but there is still room for improvement in this area. For example, it would be great to see more built-in tools for mixing and mastering in spatial audio, as well as support for more speaker configurations.
* A new step sequencer. Logic's current step sequencer is not as powerful as the ones found in other DAWs, such as Ableton Live and FL Studio. A new step sequencer with more features and flexibility would be a welcome addition for many Logic users.
* Improved MIDI editing capabilities. Logic is already a great DAW for MIDI editing, but there are still some areas where it could be improved. For example, it would be great to see more support for MIDI automation and modulation.
* New features for beatmaking and hip hop production. Logic is a popular choice for producers of all genres, but it would be great to see more features specifically designed for beatmaking and hip hop production. For example, a new drum machine plug-in with a wide range of sounds and presets would be a great addition.
* A more modern and user-friendly interface. Logic's interface is starting to look a bit dated, and it could be improved in terms of usability. For example, it would be great to see more customizable workspaces and a more streamlined workflow.

In addition to these specific features, we can also expect Logic 11 to include a number of general performance improvements and bug fixes.

Logic usually gets some shiny new marketing features with each major release too. Here are a few examples from recent versions:

Logic 10.7 introduced support for spatial audio and Dolby Atmos, which are two of the hottest trends in music production today.
Logic 10.6 introduced Live Loops, which is a new way to create and perform music in a non-linear fashion.
Logic 10.5 introduced Smart Tempo, which is a new way to keep your music in time, even when you tempo changes.
Logic 10.4 introduced Step FX, which is a new way to add creative effects to your music in real time.
It's difficult to say what the next big marketing feature for Logic will be, but it's sure to be something that is both innovative and useful for music producers.

One possibility is that Logic 11 will include a new AI-powered feature that helps producers with tasks such as mixing, mastering, and songwriting. For example, an AI-powered assistant could suggest EQ settings, recommend compressors, or even help you write a catchy melody.

Another possibility is that Logic 11 will include new features that take advantage of the latest hardware and software technologies. For example, Logic could support new types of audio interfaces, new types of MIDI controllers, or even new types of virtual instruments and plugins.
so the AI would like to see more AIs, have fun :borg:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

machinesworking wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:49 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:35 pm I admit I didn't fully read your comment. Either way Logic allows for negative timeline. So you can set your song start time to -1 and add a metronome click there manually (using the klofpgeist instrument or just render the click). Not as easy as a check box but doable. Other than that if you need to get the timing during say a verse etc use precycle.
Asking this question at Logic Pro Help etc. the moderator recommended against using -1 start as a way around this, timing issues reported I guess?

Every DAW has some feature that's better or left out compared to others. I really like the free form tempo maps created from audio and MIDI not played to a metronome in Logic, that's an as far as I can tell completely unique feature in Logic. In any other DAW you have to do a hell of a lot of prep work to get the tempo to match unmetered audio. I don't think any other DAW does unmetered MIDI?
I know there were some serious bugs in like 10.3 but I thought they were addressed by 10.4 or so. I think the problem with negative timeline is you need to be aware it's there and that alignment is going to be a bit weird because of how Logic stores/depicts measures. I think if all you want is a pre-roll count, it should be fine, but you can always just insert silence at bar 1 and keep the timeline tidy (which I think you mentioned already). I personally think starting at bar two or 3 is better anyway. Live for example by default has the cycle bar set to bar 3 when you go to arrange view. Most people ignore that but I think Ableton is making a not so subtle suggestion.

I like the smart tempo stuff quite a bit. For a beat maker I maybe prefer the way Live handles it with Capture since I don't usually have to edit anything there it kind of just finds a tempo and quantizes to that. In Logic it tries to match the tempo to whatever you are playing so if you are varying the tempo it tracks that.

xbitz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:20 pm AI test, google bard

Logic 11 has not yet been announced, so we can only speculate about its possible new features. However, based on the latest trends in music production and the feedback from Logic users, here are some of the things we might see in the next version of Logic:

* Improved support for spatial audio and Dolby Atmos. Logic 10.7 introduced support for spatial audio and Dolby Atmos, but there is still room for improvement in this area. For example, it would be great to see more built-in tools for mixing and mastering in spatial audio, as well as support for more speaker configurations.
* A new step sequencer. Logic's current step sequencer is not as powerful as the ones found in other DAWs, such as Ableton Live and FL Studio. A new step sequencer with more features and flexibility would be a welcome addition for many Logic users.
* Improved MIDI editing capabilities. Logic is already a great DAW for MIDI editing, but there are still some areas where it could be improved. For example, it would be great to see more support for MIDI automation and modulation.
* New features for beatmaking and hip hop production. Logic is a popular choice for producers of all genres, but it would be great to see more features specifically designed for beatmaking and hip hop production. For example, a new drum machine plug-in with a wide range of sounds and presets would be a great addition.
* A more modern and user-friendly interface. Logic's interface is starting to look a bit dated, and it could be improved in terms of usability. For example, it would be great to see more customizable workspaces and a more streamlined workflow.

In addition to these specific features, we can also expect Logic 11 to include a number of general performance improvements and bug fixes.

Logic usually gets some shiny new marketing features with each major release too. Here are a few examples from recent versions:

Logic 10.7 introduced support for spatial audio and Dolby Atmos, which are two of the hottest trends in music production today.
Logic 10.6 introduced Live Loops, which is a new way to create and perform music in a non-linear fashion.
Logic 10.5 introduced Smart Tempo, which is a new way to keep your music in time, even when you tempo changes.
Logic 10.4 introduced Step FX, which is a new way to add creative effects to your music in real time.
It's difficult to say what the next big marketing feature for Logic will be, but it's sure to be something that is both innovative and useful for music producers.

One possibility is that Logic 11 will include a new AI-powered feature that helps producers with tasks such as mixing, mastering, and songwriting. For example, an AI-powered assistant could suggest EQ settings, recommend compressors, or even help you write a catchy melody.

Another possibility is that Logic 11 will include new features that take advantage of the latest hardware and software technologies. For example, Logic could support new types of audio interfaces, new types of MIDI controllers, or even new types of virtual instruments and plugins.
AI is so scary man

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:42 pm
AI is so scary man

Lol no new Logic then

xbitz wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:20 pm AI test, google bard

While I appreciate your intent, the Bard posts are kinda annoying walls of text. They don’t add anything to the conversation and if I wanted Bard’s pov I’d go ask in Google. I’d much rather hear your take and insight. Just my two cents.

^^^ I never thought you would start quoting me, that's for real, sry :(
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

First actual hint ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Johnnyjohn wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:34 am First actual hint ?
So what you’re saying is that Logic is a mere footnote to Apple..
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”