One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rp314 wrote:
The only real long-term downside to such behavior is that it might tend to drive away some who are very talented and not very thick-skinned in that regard. The idea is generally to try to do well but equally important is to achieve that against the best. Additionally, for some it might be much more fun to have such folks around, forced to listen to, and hopefully comment, on their entry.

That said, it's really not easy to prevent tactical voting, and it's probably not the main reason why one's transcendental work is not always recognized as such by the other participants. :x :hihi:
Agreed on both counts.

That's what I was trying to say: although tactical voting and all that does happen, there are many other reasons (not all objective) why one's track might not score big in OSC. Sometimes it may simply not strike a chord, no matter how well is composed or produced.
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Woah! I totally didn't think I'd win this month. There were amazing tracks in there! Thanks everyone really surprised me. Wow.

Congratulations to z.prime, h-man, lemmike and Harthstein. Several of you guys I thought would be the winners in fact.

Thank you to kv331audio for the noisemaker. And BJ Porter, what awesome work you're doing here man.

I'll post some thoughts on voting and in a bit here.

mehum wrote: Haha, I realize my latest comment (regarding "forgettable EDM") came out dismissive of EDM but it was really not meant that way. Neither was it meant as dismissive of any track in the competition.

I love many types of EDM but the D in EDM is really the key here. They're meant for the dance floor and often doesn't work well when listened to in other environments.
Yeah, that's why I try not to worry too much about my scores -- While I listen to EDM all day and never dream of dancing to it, I realize that even most EDM fans don't just stick a Deadmau5 CD in the player and listen to it at home. It's way more appreciated on the dance floor.

Also, speaking as someone who makes EDM and listens to EDM... I actually agreed 100% with your "forgettable EDM" comment. Way too much EDM is forgettable. Even among the releases from big producers, 9/10 of it is forgettable to me. I do love the "unforgettable EDM" tracks, though, and if I keep finishing tracks I might eventually make one.

Actually the wide variety of styles is one of the reasons I like the OSC -- if there was a contest where all 60 entries were EDM, I'm not sure even I'd be able to stomach listening through all of them.

As for voting, I think everyone has a different system, and as long as nobody's trying to game the system, that's fine with me. Someday I'll stumble onto a track that has something for everyone, and until then I'll just keep using the OSC as motivation to finish songs.

[edit: quote above from mehum was misattributed. Sorry about that.]
Last edited by mmoncur on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bump
Last edited by Anthony Newcomb on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Software: Logic Pro X - Omnisphere 2 - Spire - Synthmaster - BIAS Desktop - Alchemy 2
Gear: iMac 27" - Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt Interface - Presonus Studio Monitors - M-audio Midi Controller x2 - Guitars

foxAsteria wrote:
fese wrote:But I can fetch the boxing gloves if you prefer next time
yes please. 8)

i only wanted to win this time because synthmaster is awesome and i can't afford it...but o well. it is indeed a satisfying challenge nonetheless. i do sometimes wish this chronic "top 5" would give the little guys a chance once in a while. their productions tend to be rather untouchable...
Hey, i finished 3rd place last time, and i count myself to the little guys, at least sound design/production wise. So it is doable, I just don't exactly know how :hihi:. What I noticed in the past is that I scored better when there were less contestants and the synth in question wasn't one of the big names that draws the EDM crowd (sorry to bring that up again, it is not meant dismissive, just a proven statistical fact based on the four times i took part :wink: ). So maybe that's a lead.

fese wrote: Hey, i finished 3rd place last time, and i count myself to the little guys, at least sound design/production wise. So it is doable, I just don't exactly know how :hihi:. What I noticed in the past is that I scored better when there were less contestants and the synth in question wasn't one of the big names that draws the EDM crowd (sorry to bring that up again, it is not meant dismissive, just a proven statistical fact based on the four times i took part :wink: ). So maybe that's a lead.
I think you're on to something here and I can think of two reasons a "strange" track may fare better in a round with less contestants.
1. With more entrants the middle of the bell curve will swing towards the mainstream (of the forum in this case, not general mainstream). This reflects both in the entries and the voting since something like 95% of the voters are the participants.
2. With more entrants there will be less time to listen and analyze every track which means tracks that are easier to understand will generally be rated higher. Tracks outside of the listener's comfort zone will take more listens to appreciate.

Of course there are more to it and I don't think it matters much for the top positions. I might not fully agree with the results but they're high quality well made tracks that has uniqueness to them.

As for your tracks, fese, your Eclipsis one was in my opinion a masterpiece that I still can find myself hum, this months's track was more of a fun experimentation which I enjoyed but is certainly not for everyone.

My own track ended up exactly where I anticipated. I wrote in a track comment on SC something along the lines of "Lower middle, with equal number of 5:s and 1:s". Which is exactly what happened :)

I've had a night to sleep on all this and get the disappointment out of my system and I came to realize that my love for creating music is still stronger than any disappointment I could ever feel from some contest.

I've been writing songs since 1979 and have 1 published tune and a song contest finalist award to show for it. That's it. I could wallpaper my room with all the rejection letters I've gotten from publishers. Still, I keep at it. I doubt that's ever going to change no matter how many "failures" I have.

So I'll be back in this zoo-fest again next month, provided the synth chosen actually plays in my DAW. It has problems with 32 bit plugs and sometimes just spits them out all over the place. So far I've been lucky with Synthmaster (64 bit) and Eclipses and Dexed (some minor problems but still workable) so I'm hoping whatever gets chosen for May will give me yet another chance to show off my skillz.

See you all in the funny paperz.

wagtunes wrote:I've had a night to sleep on all this and get the disappointment out of my system and I came to realize that my love for creating music is still stronger than any disappointment I could ever feel from some contest.

I've been writing songs since 1979 and have 1 published tune and a song contest finalist award to show for it. That's it. I could wallpaper my room with all the rejection letters I've gotten from publishers. Still, I keep at it. I doubt that's ever going to change no matter how many "failures" I have.

So I'll be back in this zoo-fest again next month, provided the synth chosen actually plays in my DAW. It has problems with 32 bit plugs and sometimes just spits them out all over the place. So far I've been lucky with Synthmaster (64 bit) and Eclipses and Dexed (some minor problems but still workable) so I'm hoping whatever gets chosen for May will give me yet another chance to show off my skillz.

Hey wagtunes wondering if you thought about self publishing your songs on places like bandcamp?
Easy to setup and upload tracks, you can setup whether free downloads, pay as much as you want or put a price on the tracks/ep/album.

You can put up single tracks,ep's or full albums.

I have a few of my releases up on bandcamp (most of them are free ep's).

cheers

spidergod wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I've had a night to sleep on all this and get the disappointment out of my system and I came to realize that my love for creating music is still stronger than any disappointment I could ever feel from some contest.

Hey wagtunes wondering if you thought about self publishing your songs on places like bandcamp?
Easy to setup and upload tracks, you can setup whether free downloads, pay as much as you want to put a price.

cheers
Is there a fee to do this because I'm broke.

wagtunes wrote:
spidergod wrote:

Easy to setup and upload tracks, you can setup whether free downloads, pay as much as you want to put a price.

cheers
Is there a fee to do this because I'm broke.
Free to setup, here is the link that explains it all :

http://bandcamp.com/artists

thanks

Mojo42 wrote: You see that my opinion is very close to all what idfpower has said and he is way more experianced in OSC as I am. Better listen to your "brother" idfpower :) I think this is a very exemplary attitude as well as also Doctorbob never loses his humour and good mood although I could understand if he would. This is a matured attitude we can learn from.
I agree with you about all you said, so I won't repost/quote it all :)

And you are right, I never lose my sense of humour :hihi: . I've been on this planet long enough to know that if you do, you are onto a loser all the way down. Yes, I get disappointed, and so I should, but then, I'm here to have fun and learn. One day you'll all love what I present to you :borg:. But until then, you'll get my usual more traditionally based song style melded to the synth in question, which is course a big part of the challenge in the first place. I pride myself in being able to work across many genres of music (heck, it's all music!) - I was sound engineer/mixer for a Caravan styled band in the 70's (quite serious and carefully played stuff), then in the 80's I did the same for a 12 piece dance/disco/ska band (simply fun fun fun all the way!). Recording was simply stereo onto a 2 track Revox. My own stuff from the late 60's onwards though was very avante garde experimental electronic stuff - mainly done on a EMS Synthi-A. So, my ear and humour(!!!) has been firmly entrenched in the electronic and mixing/production side of music.

If people like my music that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too.
If people like me, that's good, if they don't, well, not my problem eh?
If people like what I say, fine and good, if they don't, well, we just beg to differ.

So, the upshot is, I'll be here for many more OSC's and look forward to your comments on the Soundcloud pages. I do try to reply to comments, especially those where I need to maybe "fix" something on the track which my poor old ears have missed :dog:

So, folks, I'm still smiling ...

If anyone wants to PM me and let me know what I could improve on my last track, that would be great. Obviously, "do a different style!" is not quite what I want to hear ... or do I :?:

Cheers all,

dB

+1 DB!

doctorbob wrote:
Mojo42 wrote: You see that my opinion is very close to all what idfpower has said and he is way more experianced in OSC as I am. Better listen to your "brother" idfpower :) I think this is a very exemplary attitude as well as also Doctorbob never loses his humour and good mood although I could understand if he would. This is a matured attitude we can learn from.
I agree with you about all you said, so I won't repost/quote it all :)

And you are right, I never lose my sense of humour :hihi: . I've been on this planet long enough to know that if you do, you are onto a loser all the way down. Yes, I get disappointed, and so I should, but then, I'm here to have fun and learn. One day you'll all love what I present to you :borg:. But until then, you'll get my usual more traditionally based song style melded to the synth in question, which is course a big part of the challenge in the first place. I pride myself in being able to work across many genres of music (heck, it's all music!) - I was sound engineer/mixer for a Caravan styled band in the 70's (quite serious and carefully played stuff), then in the 80's I did the same for a 12 piece dance/disco/ska band (simply fun fun fun all the way!). Recording was simply stereo onto a 2 track Revox. My own stuff from the late 60's onwards though was very avante garde experimental electronic stuff - mainly done on a EMS Synthi-A. So, my ear and humour(!!!) has been firmly entrenched in the electronic and mixing/production side of music.

If people like my music that's fine. If they don't, that's fine too.
If people like me, that's good, if they don't, well, not my problem eh?
If people like what I say, fine and good, if they don't, well, we just beg to differ.

So, the upshot is, I'll be here for many more OSC's and look forward to your comments on the Soundcloud pages. I do try to reply to comments, especially those where I need to maybe "fix" something on the track which my poor old ears have missed :dog:

So, folks, I'm still smiling ...

If anyone wants to PM me and let me know what I could improve on my last track, that would be great. Obviously, "do a different style!" is not quite what I want to hear ... or do I :?:

Cheers all,

dB
What a great attitude. Maybe in another 10 years I'll learn to adopt it. LOL.

Congrats to Jasinski for another win and the others in the top five for winning prizes :) Also, special congrats to number the runner up in 6th place ( I know how it feels, lol). My favorite this run was Hokey's track which I though would take the cake but all those in top five were well deserved wins. I was waiting a bit to check on the stats but some slipped the results somewhat in an email :hihi:
All the best guys :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

psmacmur wrote:
@Tjgoa: if there's one thing I've learned from OSC, it's that SAMPLES ARE FOR CHUMPS :evil: . Don't give in! Synths for the win! :ud:
Are you talking about streaming to samples then arranging them? Had no choice to save cpu..I tried my best not to use presets with samples and nearly certain I didn't, and no way ever any outside ones, so I'm a little confused?
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Instruments”