EQ'ing Guitar Amp With Multiple Mics

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, I've always been kind of curious as to how most people work a guitar amp recorded through multiple mics in a mix. What I'm curious about is whether most people EQ the individual mics or route the mics to a bus, get a nice blend of them using volume, and then add one EQ to the bus?

Basically right now the setup on my Fender Twin Amp (this is the more modern Twin, not a Twin Reverb) I'm happy with just about out the door is an SM57 on the grill of the left speaker, a Rode NT1000 about 6-8 inches back on the right speaker, and a BLUE Ball on the back of the cab. No one mic gets the sound I want, but by mixing and matching I get real close. I still need to cut-out/filter the lows and perhaps add some presence, or scoop the mids or whatever based on what the track needs and I'm wondering if I should be doing this to the individual tracks or all together.

I figure EQ'ing the individual tracks will give me the most control but will probably add the most phase distortion, but I'm just curious as to what others do. Also are any additional pro's and cons to either method?
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

IF you want my amateur advice (I've never recorded as you have) I would say limit any EQing you can. Try to get the sound you want by mixing the mics inputs BEFORE applyin any EQ. Only EQ if it is a must to get the desired sound. So its Mics -> Mixer -> Bus -> EQ -> Compressor, ecetera. I can't give you any advice on mic placement.

EQing each mic individually might be necessary to get a certain high band sound out of one input, but drop another unwanted high band out of another input. The key is to use the EQ as little as possible. By little here, I mean boosting only 2dB instead of 15db. That way you minimize phase distortion.

Return to “Production Techniques”