new hardware at NAMM?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone know of any new hardware such as synths, samplers, controllers, etc... seen at NAMM?

:shrug:

NAMM hasn't started yet.

NAMM hasn't started, but I do know that Roland will be showing their Juno-G synth there. The Juno-G is the Juno-D's big brother. Looks like it's a Fantom Xa with a different name. :P
Mizutaphile.

Mono Evolver Keyboard from Dave Smith Instruments.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/other/news.html

lovely.

SH-201
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... arentId=72

comes with VSTi 'editor' too.. oh, and supersaw.. :hyper: :hihi:

Oh, I thought it started today, 1/19?

Maybe I am over-anxious. NAMM is exciting!

:)

thanks....

I find Roland's use of old names for products mostly or completely unrelated to the original concept kind of annoying.
♫♪♫♫♪♫

esl wrote:Oh, I thought it started today, 1/19?

Maybe I am over-anxious. NAMM is exciting!

:)

thanks....
I think he meant the actual convention center doesn't open until like 9 PST, but there are many press releases out now.

3*s wrote:I find Roland's use of old names for products mostly or completely unrelated to the original concept kind of annoying.
Me too. It's almost insulting, using a name like Juno for a cheap, useless ROMpler keyboard.

Does the world REALLY need more useless Roland synths that'll be taken off the shelves in six months?!

I honestly don't see what separates the Juno-G from the Fantom Xa. :shrug:

http://rolandus.com/products/productdet ... arentId=83

Plus, it's confusing! People see "Juno-G" they might think "ooh, like the old Junos." I did at first, until I read up on it. :hihi:
Mizutaphile.

i don't like anything Roland has done in a long time, to be honest.

Some of the hardware I know will be shown at NAMM includes the new XS (Xpander Synth?) from Future-Retro, four lusty modules in Frac-Rack format from SynTech/MOTM, and some surprise from AMS/Neve. I'm sure there will be more cool goodies than we can count before the show's over though.

3*s wrote:I find Roland's use of old names for products mostly or completely unrelated to the original concept kind of annoying.
I always find it odd how people react to the resurrection of old and nostalgic names, as if they know better than the company itself.

So this new synth uses the Juno name again, when they were first released, they were targeted at beginners to semi-pros (or maybe higher) and used DCOs (an affordable technology at the time). Now they use a fantom/XV engine (affordable now) and are targeting beginners and up. So what that it isn't a VA, it sounds like a product based on the same design goals/concept to me.

Same goes for the new VP550, SH-201 and MC-808. Why can't we evaluate these new synths for what they offer and not what name is on the panel.

ozinexile wrote:
I always find it odd how people react to the resurrection of old and nostalgic names, as if they know better than the company itself.

So this new synth uses the Juno name again, when they were first released, they were targeted at beginners to semi-pros (or maybe higher) and used DCOs (an affordable technology at the time). Now they use a fantom/XV engine (affordable now) and are targeting beginners and up. So what that it isn't a VA, it sounds like a product based on the same design goals/concept to me.

Same goes for the new VP550, SH-201 and MC-808. Why can't we evaluate these new synths for what they offer and not what name is on the panel.
Interesting! I didn't know that all of the Junos were marketed towards beginners, so that kind of puts a spin on things. :D The Fantom Xa is also marketed towards beginners, and it looks to me like Roland is just trying to make money off of the name, though. Given the Juno-G's feature list, I doubt it'll be that much cheaper than the Xa. If the Juno-G is $800-900 dollars, and the Fantom Xa is $1,000-1,100, then I don't really see the point in having yet another Roland keyboard people won't buy (like the GW-7).

The Juno-D was maybe a good move on Roland's part, because that's only 600 bucks and has the sounds but none of the sequencing or expansion capabilities.

If Roland's Fantom engine sounds better than the XP/JV engine (JV/XP had some weird looping that made a lot of notes unusable), is cleaner, more usable, etc. then maybe... hmm.
Mizutaphile.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”