Chinese violin (a.h.i. Crouching Tiger, Bobby Valentino)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Kozak
KVRer
10 posts since 29 Dec, 2005

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:38 pm

Hey guys I am looking for a sample of a chinese violin. You hear this violin alot in crouching tiger hidden dragon and alot of chinese movies. You also hear it in Bobby Valentino's song 'Tell me'. Does anyone know exactly where to get it, or give some pointers on a site with oriental instruments?

Thanks in advance!

xuanvu
KVRist
256 posts since 11 Dec, 2005

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:40 pm

Check out Kong Audio section in this forum... The VSTi is called Chinee Erhu...

Kenny.

User avatar
Gregjazz
"The" Jazz
4434 posts since 18 Aug, 2004 from California, United States

Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:46 pm

Yes, ChineeErhu is exactly what you need. :)

http://www.chineekong.com/chineeerhu.htm

And be sure to check out their other VSTis, also!
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Kozak
KVRer
10 posts since 29 Dec, 2005

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:50 pm

Beautiful! Thanks guys :).

Mr. Tunes
Tunesmith
2891 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Toronto

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:40 pm

I listened to two of the demos and they weren't doing it for me. I'm sure it's a great library but it doesn't really capture the grit that I hear in classic asian films. do you think it's possible this sound is acheived with a standard violin as opposed to the Erhu?

butter
KVRian
1161 posts since 22 Feb, 2004 from Seattle, WA

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:03 pm

Maybe. You're going to have to tune and play it differently than normal though. (obviously)

Which host do you have? I know that Cubase offers microtuning options for non-western and non-traditional scales.

User avatar
Gregjazz
"The" Jazz
4434 posts since 18 Aug, 2004 from California, United States

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:47 pm

Mr. Tunes wrote:I listened to two of the demos and they weren't doing it for me. I'm sure it's a great library but it doesn't really capture the grit that I hear in classic asian films. do you think it's possible this sound is acheived with a standard violin as opposed to the Erhu?
A normal violin sound doesn't get that deep, airy sound that an Erhu gets... really the Erhu is VERY different than a violin.

When I tell people I play Erhu and they respond by saying, "A what?" It's a lot more easy to just simplify it by saying it's like a "vertical violin" rather than going into detail... Erhu is really different than violin. :)

You mention that you listened to 2 out of the 3 demos... Did you have a chance to listen to the 3rd (the last demo) on the page? That demo is of a traditional Chinese song, so it might give a better example of what you're looking for.

vikernes
KVRist
198 posts since 20 Jan, 2006

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Probably not what your're looking for but I've just read about this instrument called Waterphone and thought it might come handy to someone. I've heard this sound before many times, but never knew how it was made.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/03/musi ... aterphone/

There are 2 samples at http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesVie ... p?id=14310

ccollinsmith
KVRist
453 posts since 20 Aug, 2004 from Falls Church, VA

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:15 pm

I thought the strings in CROUCHING TIGER were done by Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma on western instruments. I know Tan Dun was striving for an erhu sensibility in the sound, but was there actually an erhu on the soundtrack? Now I'm curious.

Mr. Tunes
Tunesmith
2891 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Toronto

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:14 am

Gregjazz wrote:You mention that you listened to 2 out of the 3 demos... Did you have a chance to listen to the 3rd (the last demo) on the page? That demo is of a traditional Chinese song, so it might give a better example of what you're looking for.
I listened to the first and the third(I avoided the one that said rock). I don't want anyone to take my opinions of the demos to heart cause i'm not overly skilled in the sounds of world music, i'm just learning about many instruments that i never knew existed.

Mr. Tunes
Tunesmith
2891 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Toronto

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:16 am

ccollinsmith wrote:I thought the strings in CROUCHING TIGER were done by Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma on western instruments. I know Tan Dun was striving for an erhu sensibility in the sound, but was there actually an erhu on the soundtrack? Now I'm curious.
Right and Memoirs of a Geisha which was composed by John Williams was also performed by the dynamic duo of Perlman/Yo-yo. Those two men are superhuman.

sosayweall
KVRian
801 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:31 am

For what we know, the erhu in Crouching Tiger's soundtrack was performed by a well-known (but probably not outside of China) female Erhu player, Mrs. XiaoHui Ma. She's a distinguished and charming musician.

ccollinsmith
KVRist
453 posts since 20 Aug, 2004 from Falls Church, VA

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:17 am

sosayweall wrote:For what we know, the erhu in Crouching Tiger's soundtrack was performed by a well-known (but probably not outside of China) female Erhu player, Mrs. XiaoHui Ma. She's a distinguished and charming musician.
So there's both western violin and erhu on the soundtrack? Great soundtrack, by the way. One of my favorites.

Johnny Cherry
KVRist
322 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:47 am

This has sampled Erhu but a bit on the pricy side.
http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... sku=EW-163

Also the reason you hear it in Tell me is because it is actually samples the Crouching Tiger soundtrack.

xuanvu
KVRist
256 posts since 11 Dec, 2005

Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:40 am

Does anyone know where I can get this instrument... It's a Vietnamese instrument, 1-string, called "Dan Bau"... Here is an example: http://www.tienghatquehuong.com/Samples ... LongMe.mp3

An article about the instrument: http://www.tienghatquehuong.com/instruments/DanBau.htm

Couple years ago, I have a friend who is really good at sound tweaking stuffs... He tweaked his Korg M1 to sound like 95% of the Dan Bau... Unfortunately, he moved to another state... I have the Korg M1 (softsynth) right now but I really don't know how to tweak things. Any help? Lots of my music (Vietnamese) features this instrument.

Thank you,
Kenny.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”