About the Player Panel

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Player Panel at the top-right of the window indicates which player is used for your midi keyboard, and also as player when drawing new parts. The Player Panel automatically switches to the player of a selected part.

But up to now, changing the player in the Player Panel does not change the player of a selected part!

If you want to set the player for a part, you can right-click (osx: control-click) that part and "Choose Player".

I've the impression that this might be un-intuitive.

In the very first versions of Luna, when changing the player in the Player Panel, the player of the selected part was also set. So it worked in both directions so to say.

That sounds as a great thing.

BUT at the other hand, it could also be frustrating as you could accidentally set the player of the selected part, because you just wanted to have another player on your keyboard.
(in which case you would have to unselect all parts first)

To be honnest, i'm not yet 100% convinced which of both strategies is best:

1) Player Panel only follows player of selected part
2) Player Panel follows player of selected part, and can also change it!

What do you think / want?

I think that the first solution is a way better. I imagine too many unwanted mistakes with this changing.

For setting player of selected part I would suggest using a part's MIDI icon. Clicking on it might opean a list of available player to chose from. Well, just an idea :)

Piotr

The first solution indeed is "more safe".

But i noticed that some users don't find it intuitive.

So the second solution could be "more effective / more intuitive".

The Player Panel is one of the first things you use in LUNA.

And it defines the player of new parts.

And it follows the player of the selected part.

Then isn't it logical that if you change the player in the player panel, the selected part switches to that player? (i.e. a bidirectional link)

I think they need to be locked/synched if it's going to be intuitive -- i.e. if the metaphore is that the player panel represents the current player, changing the player either on the part or the player panel should have the same effect.

The other alternative is to unsync the two; then the player panel represents only what MIDI In plays and the Part has its own player shown. And perhaps have a "Sync to Part" button to toggle between the two methods? (I can see wanting both approaches at different stages of working on a composition.)

I agree with pljones.

Beta 5 will have full sync by default.

But by right-clicking (osx: control-clicking) the player in the Player Panel, you get a dialog box where you can set

1) the sync from panel to parts = "Selected Part(s) Follow Focussed Player"
2) the sync from parts to panel = "Focussed Player Follows Selected Part"

Maybe insted of right clicking and dialog box it would be easier to just use a kind of "chain" icon on each part?
Make it active will sync with Player.

Hmmm... but maybe it's not that necessary to focus on that issue much.

The chaining was more the player panel to the selected one part (in my view) than (multiple) parts to the player panel, so the lock would be best on the panel. Of course, allowing multiple parts to chain off the player panel might be no bad thing...

Return to “MUTOOLS”