Sampling vs Synthesis - do i need synths?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have found in my own work that sample manipulation [particularly wavetable/transwave/granular processing] of EVERY type of acoustic source offers HIERARCHIES of infinites of deeper/richer acoustics than standard electronic synthesis- granular modulations of recorded mammalian vocal tracts/ insect sounds/ electric motors/ feedback circuits offer electrified spacey and robotic sounds that are orders of magnitudes more complex/fat/rich/wet/squelchy/resonant than any voltage controlled oscillator ever made IMO- with the same classes of sounds accesible through experimentation and effort- far superior analog emulation can be acieved with wavetable processing than 'VA' approaches-

for me the conceptual aspect is just as important- using samples/audio as a medium for alchemical expression like Burroughs/Gysin cut-ups/ Duchamp's ready-mades/ Musique Concrete/ tape music/ collage art/ Foley art/ etc [I call my approach 'memesynthesis']- I prefer to bootstrap/hack/kludge[pervert] the complexity of the actual Universe directly through sample/audio manipulation rather than generate simple models through sysnthesis-

There's also things that samplers can do that a synth can't.
LOL, that's got to be the understatement of the year. :)

Funny thread, all those semantic discussions...

Anyways, for me, it boils down to this: If there's ONE single instrument (apart from my guitars that is) that I wouldn't want to miss ever again, it's gotta be a sampler.
I'm using samplers for such a variety of tasks, couldn't imagine doing remotely the same with whatever synth. So, for me it's just the most flexible instrument there is.
But then: I do just love it that there's more and more synthesis features thrown into samplers.
But then #2: Even if a sampler would be my choice for a "what if..." situation, I really wouldn't enjoy living without some synths much either.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

rounser wrote:
There's also things that samplers can do that a synth can't.
LOL, that's got to be the understatement of the year. :)
No, I just didn't have time to list some examples. In any case, how is that an understatement?
Listen to my latest album Astronauta at

http://www.facproductions.net

Interesting point...
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Funny thread, all those semantic discussions...
:lol: Judging from half the threads here we've as many linguists as musicians.

I'm including my self in that. :wink:
"Music is a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which doesn't know that it is counting." - Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz
---
e to the i pi plus one equals zero

Return to “Instruments”